Pro's & Con's of your hotel stay for FanimeCon 2006?

Started by snorlax, May 29, 2006, 06:54:27 PM

Happy with hotel stay? Got what you requested?

Yes
29 (69%)
Neutral
12 (28.6%)
No - If no, please let us know what went wrong.
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: May 29, 2006, 06:54:27 PM

AmazonPrincess

I stayed at the Sainte Claire, and the hotel was beautiful, and the remodel improved some of the bathroom issues from the year before.

My only issue was I requested a king room, and was told none were available and was given a queen instead. That and one of the days the people next door had a screaming infant. Not so good when trying to catch up on some sleep, but it's not like you can tell a baby to "shut up".
"Just remember, wherever you go... There you are." -Buckaroo Banzai The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai

Green_Tea

I stayed at the Marriott and for the most part it was ok.

The only problem I had was with the staff being snotty when I asked for 2 extra blankets. I guess they were just getting annoyed at the recurring request.

I also didn't like the fact that my bathroom didn't have a lock on it when I was rooming with all guys. It worked out alright with not incidents though because we had a rule "If the door is closed don't go in"
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

Tuplica

Here's a question.. to those of you who stayed at the Mariott... Did they not have extra blankets simply available in the room?  Or were you asking for extra beyond that?  The Hilton supplied extra, lots of extras, just in the closet.  Nice bonus.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Green_Tea

Nope, we didn't have blankets in the closets. We had to ask the front for some and they sent a person up with them.
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

phoenixphire24

Stayed at the Sainte Claire and it was great. Fridge in the room, good shower, and nice beds.

We only had one problem...the people next door. One night out of the 3 we were there, the people next door had a huge party at 2am. We called the hotel desk and they sent people to break it up. 30 minutes later the people were back, so my roomie went down to the front desk. In the end the police had to be called because the people just wouldn't leave. So we lost a night of sleep, but the hotel dealt with the problem and we also got that night free.

giornlives

So, I've heard lots of tips on how to get away with too many people. Did any of you, or do you know anyone who, got caught with too many people in their room? If so, what did the hotel do about it?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "giornlives"So, I've heard lots of tips on how to get away with too many people. Did any of you, or do you know anyone who, got caught with too many people in their room? If so, what did the hotel do about it?

As a general rule you don't want to bend those kinds of limits. If you tell the hotel there are going to be 4 people and you have one extra head, they probably won't kill you...

But if you try to squeeze like, 8 people into one room it becomes a fire hazard and they can and will expel you from the premises. Not to mention that it makes a bad impression to the hotels what kind of people we (as anime fans) are. If the problems got too bad then the hotels would refuse to work with Fanime at all and we'd end up having to fend for ourselves instead of getting the sweet deals on the king beds and stuff that we do now.

Bottom line is: If there's an emergency and you have an extra head in your room, if you do get caught chances are the reprocussions won't be severe as long as you're honest. Let them know the person needed a place to crash and you can just pay the difference (which isn't much at all) but don't do any more than 5 in a 4 person room...you're just asking for trouble then. And if they catch on (which they probably will...7-8 people in a 4 person room is noticable to the cleaning staff) you can be in serious trouble.

Just some friendly advice.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Ayanami Rei First Child

Seriously a microwave would have been awesome for all the ramen I brought with me, since the damned coffee maker took forever to boil a small pot of water. I didn't have roomies for all 4 days, and I didn't realize I needed to have my actual credit card scanned by the hotel after reserving online. Suffice to say I ended up paying cash. Also the towels they provded were rather...small. No lock on shower, but fortunately no one ever walked in on me. I was like floor 14 or higher

Pros: A cool roomie who I'm looking forward to next year, who turned me onto Hard Gay. Comfortable beds. No noise from other rooms. Plenty of room to put my swag. I even got them to agree to a late checkout which helped immensely. Also I didn't have maids coming in and waking me up, or coming around at inopportune moments.

Moonblossom

Which hotel did you stay at, Rei?

I'm staying at the Hilton this year, if the towels are that bad I'm gonna try to find room to stuff one of my own nice big soft bath sheets in one of my suitcases, if I've got room. ><''