Some rules/issues that should be addressed

Started by FanFicGuru, May 30, 2006, 12:54:15 PM

FanFicGuru

I know that staff has put a lot of safety guards and rules in Fanime to make it safe for everyone. Personally I find it very comforting, however, there are a couple loopholes that I have noticed, mainly due to some complaints and stories from people for the last two conventions. So, here are a couple of rules I strongly believe should be enforced for the upcoming conventions:

1) Badge removal for sexual harassment. Many times people have told me about how they were followed around by fangirls/boys for excessive periods of time and felt uncomfortable about it. Others would ask to glomp, and when the person said no they would get all mad and pissy and maybe even chew the person out. I really think this needs to be addressed in a big way. First of all in the form of the person being stalked or harassed politely requesting that the people stop. If that doesn't work, letting a con rover know and letting the rover give the warning. Third strike, badge removal for the weekend. I really think this would help people feel more comfortable about their cosplays without being stalked or harassed.

2) Badge removal for threats. Especially in the E-gaming room this year I guess there were a number of threats against people who won. Threats of actual physical harm. There should be a zero tolerance policy for stuff like that. Just because someone beat you at a game does not mean you get to threaten to beat them up or hurt them later on. Inexcusable. I really think this should be addressed next year as well.

While I personally did not experience either of these, in order for the convention to remain family friendly and inviting to new people, I would highly suggest that these actions be taken so that people who do not know how to behave in a civil manner will be ejected from the Convention.

Thank you.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Zain

These policies have long been in place. If you have a problem with somebody, you just need the 4-digit code on their badge (prominently displayed). Turn that in to ConOps (or point the person out to a rover). They'll be taken into a small room with a very intimidating member of the rovers team and they'll be sternly warned that their activities could result in badge pulling or even arrests. If we find out that it is still happening, we would most likely take further actions against them.
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

DayDreamerNessa

In the past couple years, i've noticed people has had an interest in having panels and etc, discussing otaku behavior.

And since a panel may not be the best/effective way, what if we did a poster with a list of what to not do at a con, and be more appropriate; because yes an anime convention is a more firendly place, but that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

If you guys made a poster and put it on a stand and placed it in front of registration, like right before you go in to register/get badge i think would be cool.

Or even maybe in the program guide you can make a cute comic strip. Like in 2003( i think it was) where you explained in a short comic how you should eat, take showers regularly etc.

those are some of my suggestions.
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Tuplica

Quote from: "Zain"These policies have long been in place. If you have a problem with somebody, you just need the 4-digit code on their badge (prominently displayed). Turn that in to ConOps (or point the person out to a rover). They'll be taken into a small room with a very intimidating member of the rovers team and they'll be sternly warned that their activities could result in badge pulling or even arrests. If we find out that it is still happening, we would most likely take further actions against them.

Sounds great!  A couple questions, if I may.  

Ok, first one is, is this written anywhere in the con booklet that gets sent out every year?  It's a great thing, just wondering if it's around for people to know about it.  I hadn't heard about it before now, but I didn't read mine thoroughly, so I haven't any idea.

Secondly... and please understand this is not a criticism... are the odds good that the person with the badge number will actually be found?  I mean, if they've left the scene or the person who was being harassed left to go to ConOps?  On at least one day of the con there were people skating around, but no one seemed to be able to keep track of them.  Just wondering if it's easier to track someone based on badge number...

Though I guess this is one of the reasons you're supposed to have your badge on display at all times. :P
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"2) Badge removal for threats. Especially in the E-gaming room this year I guess there were a number of threats against people who won. Threats of actual physical harm. There should be a zero tolerance policy for stuff like that. Just because someone beat you at a game does not mean you get to threaten to beat them up or hurt them later on. Inexcusable. I really think this should be addressed next year as well.

If this was happening and by ALOT, you should warn a staffer of ours (or anyone really). We can and will step in those type of things.

I'll admit, I thought we were supposed to just watch the "original" E-Gaming aspects (PC/Consoles). If that was a mistake, then I do apologize for it happening.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

lolitadesu

Yeah, I think the glomping/hugging thing should be restricted to signs and such. I was asked randomly by people to hug them and some just grabbed me out of nowhere and I was not cosplaying or anything. It made me feel uncomfortable because I didn't know them at all. People shouldn't have to feel that way when trying to enjoy themselves at Fanime.

Green_Tea

Ha.. the funny thing is last year the whol sexual harrasment thing happened to me and I didn't know where to go. I did tell one staff memeber but they told me to go to like con ops or something and I couldn't find it and gave up. ((someone took a picture under my skirt at the dance grr..))

Then this year it happened again by someone that was staff. It does make me sad that I have to go through this at Fanime just because I'm female and makes me seriously consider going to the con or not.

I think the posters are a good idea or the reminders in the booklet (even though there's a long list of rules it was somewhere in the back this year).

Also, What is the policy on staff doing this kind of thing? I'm fairly certain it's not allowed but will it be taken care of if it is reported or seen as just a way to get staff in trouble if we don't like them?
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

Tony

Quote from: "Green_Tea"Also, What is the policy on staff doing this kind of thing? I'm fairly certain it's not allowed but will it be taken care of if it is reported or seen as just a way to get staff in trouble if we don't like them?
The policy on staff doing this sort of thing? Same as anyone else! There's no excuse for that sort of behavior.

For the record,

If you have any problem with someone at con, look for their badge number. This year, it was on the left side of the badge in large numbers. We can use that number to look someone up and confront them as necessary.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014