Otaku Manners panel?

Started by LawyerGirl, May 31, 2006, 09:38:10 AM

LawyerGirl

Wouldn't it be cool if someone could host a panel for the more socially inept of us that featured points of etiquette?

For example:

- showering/hygiene
- not harassing con-goers for glomps, hugs, or anything else
- holding doors for people (especially people in bulky costumes or people carrying things)
- waiting politely in line for elevators instead of waltzing in and rushing past the people who've been waiting a long time
- yelling/running in hotel hallways late at night when people are trying to sleep

And so on.  I probably sound like an old lady. :)

Babbit_Chan

Quote from: "LawyerGirl"Wouldn't it be cool if someone could host a panel for the more socially inept of us that featured points of etiquette?

For example:

- showering/hygiene
- not harassing con-goers for glomps, hugs, or anything else
- holding doors for people (especially people in bulky costumes or people carrying things)
- waiting politely in line for elevators instead of waltzing in and rushing past the people who've been waiting a long time
- yelling/running in hotel hallways late at night when people are trying to sleep

And so on.  I probably sound like an old lady. :)

You don't sound like an old lady :) I agree with a number of those things - I for one HATE all the yelling in the halls after midnight. Maybe something like this could be addressed at the opening ceremonies?

Blue-Six

Quote from: "Babbit_Chan"Maybe something like this could be addressed at the opening ceremonies?

It would probably be a good idea to have it in the Program and around in general, since most of the people who don't follow most of that etiquette aren't at the Opening Ceremonies anyway. XD
"The speckle of light present in enclosed darkness."
Fanimecon '10 Volunteers Staff
[Tousen or Bust!]

Tony

I love this idea! George, don't forget this one!  :D
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Nina Star 9

another one is that you are at an anime convention and people are in elaborate costumes, so please be careful when walking, as you may step on their costumes and ruin them.

DayDreamerNessa

I 100% agree about manners. Especially the whole stalker thing, like

-DON'T ask for someone's name unless they give it to you.
-DON'T ask for hugs. just save that for the people with signs saying 'hug me' or your friends.

Oh and one MAJOR pet peeve.

When people get on elevators, and there's somone in the elevator with a huge prop or costume on, *please* be cautious because we don't want our costumes/props smushed.

I can't tell you how many times people would get into elevators when it's already full enough, and not be kind to those in there already with costumes or props =(!
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Oopymmas2

You know, this is a great idea... especially if we could somehow herd all the smelly/rude/etc people to those panels...it would make my life easier...

and I know I did ask for hugs, but... I couldn't help it. >.<

(Now if only I could find that one guy I met)

oni kaji

I haven't dealed with the rude people at the con yet but this sounds like an awesome idea for the panel and i know many people that i would force to go to fanime so that they could go see this panel

Have you seen this person. I met her at fanime
name: jenny
I lost her contact information T_T
I'm looking for her.
please pm if you know her.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well I've asked some random girls for hugs before...and have had friends do it...and the number of people who don't want to be or say "no" are far and few between.

I think it's okay to ask for 1 hug, but only like after they let your take their picture or something. Also, go away if they say they don't want it.

I wouldn't know about being loud late at night...as an insomniac I view it as a crime to be in bed by 12:30pm or earlier >.<

paragyaru

That's a really good idea!

I think another thing to bring up is behavior in the video rooms; I was in the yaoi room with my friends, one of which was watching "Boku no Sexual Harrasment" for the first time. However, she didn't really get to enjoy it, because some people in the back were practically yelling to eachother, along with this guy sitting behind us. My friends got rather upset , and I politely asked these people twice to keep down the noise, but they never did, and we ended up leaving in frustration >____<
I don't know if this happens in the other video rooms, and this is the first time I've ever experienced this, but it'd be nice if more people were aware of the fact that some people actually wanna hear what they're watching T______T

kam_islash

Eh its hard to curb the behaviour of some pervs...
Thats why I prefer to call myself an Akiba rather than an Otaku, because it has less perverted connotations.
I want to express this undying passion with my entire body tonight.

FanFicGuru

I think it would be difficult to get people to go... I wouldn't want to feel patronized by a bunch of people telling me how I should behave. Granted I already know my share of etiquette, etc...but for the people you're talking about, chances are they won't go. The people who will go are probably people who just want to see what it's about.

I don't know, it sounds like a good idea, I just question the attendance.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

YoureMyHiro

I think getting people to come is all about presentation, we dont want to display a dictatorship rather a panel full of helpful tips and suggestions. Im sure there are still plenty of Otaku out there who dont quite understand why people arent as social with them as they are others and the issue might just be ettiquette, manners or hygene and this panel could be of great help and insight.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Yeah you all raise some good points, but yelling so loud that people can't hear the movie or show.....should be bad and the Staff should boot them out after 1 warning  :evil:

FanFicGuru

Yeah, as long as it doesn't come off as patronizing...that's the main thing I'm worried about.

I mean you don't want some girl (or guy) up there going "Now boys and girls, this is S-O-A-P..." etc, even if it does seem like what they need. Then people just like like A-holes. >_<

Something along the lines of helpful tips and insights would be good though.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Arconna

Yes, this is by far a superb idea.  If only we could make it manditory lol.  I haven't experienced many of the things you guys have said (fanboy funk, etc.), in fact I don't get what is so hard about taking a shower and using deohderantaetantn (however you spell that damned word).  You'd think it would be common sense.

I also agree that the staffers in the video rooms should try to keep people who want to talk out.  That's one of the few things that can actually ruin a movie for me at the theatre.  I even experienced it at the Con this year and it absolutely pissed me off.  A lot of people come to this wanting to see stuff they've already seen or new stuff, and when you're yapping your face off during it, it really ruins things.  Talking is for outside...plain and simple.

As far as attendance, I don't know who will go.  It might really depend on how the panel is run.  If it is run seriously (like straight faced tips, etc.) then I don't know if people will stick around.  Most of the people who would go probably already know how to use soap and shampoo.  If there was a humorous twist to it, you might get more attendance, but I don't know if that is what we all want from this.  Also, you should take into account that having it run for the first time probably won't bring as much attendance, but having it go again will probably draw more attention as people have already heard about it before.

I also keep hearing all this stuff about sexual harassment/stalking/etc.  I'm a guy, so I guess I will likely never have to deal with it, but every year there's a dozen or so girls (probably more because these dozen are just the ones that come on here) who complain of being followed, harassed, etc.  Is the Fanime policy for this sort of thing pretty tight?  One warning and then you're gone forever?  I don't know what more can be done other than having more security.  What about asking for volunteers who would 'patrol' during the night hours and such?  Two or three people or something at a time.  I dunno.  It might also come down to the people getting harassed actually throw a stink to security so something will get done.

Anywho...
Arconna
-------------------------------------------------------
My Blog Novel!

RyuHayabusa

*moves thread here*

It belongs here now, so hopefully you guys can refine the idea and talk to stealthnekoboy about this.

Also, keep it civil as well.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

milkmandan

this seems like a good idea, but how many will actually go?

the people that are polite will go to such a panel, but the person who is running around disregarding others, most likely wont show up to such a panel, or even stay.

my point is, the good will go, the bad will continue to be bad.

unless proper etiquette becomes a rule, and rule breakers will get badges revoked, i doubt this will help.

good idea though, i support it, but i am just trying to speak realistically.

like i said, a set of rules and regulations should be given to ALL members as they get their registration badges...
this is an extreme idea, but maybe even a short test should be given before someone can recieve their badge, if they fail the test, they are told the rules in short and then they can continue..

paragyaru

Hm... yeah, maybe it'd be a good idea to put a handout about etiquette in the bags they hand out at registration.  They do something similar to this at Yaoicon, and everyone who registers is required to read it, so if someone does something they know they shouldn't be doing, it's easier to call them on it.  If we have handouts, we can ensure that everyone will be aware of what proper behavior is, whether or not they go to the panel...

BunofGovt

*bump* because this is a great idea.  In addition to having instructions in the program or handouts on the tables, I think this would be good for Stage Zero.  That way, it's in the middle of the center and attendees walking by will see it.  Or if you do maybe a man on the street thing with a live cam showing it on the screen, and ask someone at random, oh, so what would you do if you saw someone running at you to glomp?  Duck?  Run?  Stick out your hands?  or Glomp back?  Get peoples opinions on different kinds of behavior?

Or uh, now I've gone brain dead on ideas.

Or make it a quiz:  which one of these items is acceptable behavior when you see your favorite bishie in the hall?  A Jumping on him/her B Screaming in his/her ear C ask politely if you may glomp.  Pocky for the right answer.

Um, that's all for now (maybe too much already  :oops: )
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.