Fighters Against Peace Tying

Started by kam_islash, June 02, 2006, 10:40:59 AM

kam_islash

Come on, lets put an end to peace tying.
We all want to have con photos of Sephiroth and CLoud facing off with their swords drawn, and we'd like to see Deedlit with her rapier onc ein a while.

Peace tying is communistic and leads to a slippery slope.
What comes next?
Barring walking sticks?
Barring Crutches?
Barrinc costumes alltogether?

come on people, by fans and for fans!
Quit being such bloody bureaucrats and start acting like fans!!!!
I want to express this undying passion with my entire body tonight.

drallcome

Blame it on Bush and 9-11.. Not fanime con

Before that you could pose with weapons exposed.
Fanime Member since 1999

risingphoenix13

I know that there are a lot of laws dealing with actual weapons (steel, not  PVC or what have you). Even at Ren. Faire you'd have to have your blade peace bound. So, fighting would be out of the question. I think, legally, the only way you could fight with steel would be if it was a part of a demonstration (I think, I'm not 100% sure of this). Even the SCA can not fight with live weapons. So, I hope that helps for the why when it comes to steel.

But as for fake weapon fights, I'm all for it. That would be fun.:)

kam_islash

Otakus are not terrorists.
Interested in Japanese culture, not muslim culture
Wooden swords are not bombs.
A person trying to hurt someone with a sword is easily subdued, especially if mor epeople around him have swords.
Furthermore, you can't hijack a convention center and crash it into a building.

Fanime had no right to use 9-11 as an excuse for peace tying because anime and game swords have absolutely nothing to do with terrorism.

Mordyan

Sorry to burst your bubble but the main reason for peace tying is stupidity. I also do the renfair circut and i can not begin to tell you the number of times some idiot buys a sword and starts waving it around.

Even plastic and wooden swords can do damage. So what if they are easy to subdue, someone will still get hurt. That's the point. Have you seen the cost of liability insurance for one of these events.

And yes some idiots hopped up on sugar, caffine, and redbull will end up starting a plastic sword fight in the middle of the concourse. Agian I have seen it done at other events.

This is not a polical issue, it is purely a safety one. The rules have to be apllied evenly or not at all.

Yes it sucks that they can't draw their weapons for pictures. It sucks that there are so many idiots out there that we have to have rules like this. Oh on a last note, the masqerade if I remember correctly does allow weapon to be drawn during the event for picture taking purposes.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "kam_islash"Otakus are not terrorists.
A person trying to hurt someone with a sword is easily subdued, especially if mor epeople around him have swords.

Fanime had no right to use 9-11 as an excuse for peace tying because anime and game swords have absolutely nothing to do with terrorism.

Wooden swords ARE weapons. They are doing it for people's safety. whether or not they can be 'easily' subdued is not the case. If you were the person who got smacked in the face with a wooden sword before the person got subdued, you wouldn't be saying the same thing. You would have wished that the weapon was peace tied.

Stop going around stirring up debates. The staff are doing all they can to make the convention a fun and family friendly event.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

kam_islash

Um yes I would be saying the same thing.
Why should I suffer for the deeds of others?
it isn't right to punish the many innocent for the actions of the few guilty.

FanFicGuru

Well, sorry to say this but you're in the group that is not the law.

The state of california makes it illegal to carry around anything of that sort. I know, I was almost taken downtown because I had my bokken with me once. So we should be glad that we can even walk around with them peace-tied on.

You can fight it all you want, but good luck changing around all the laws.
Swap meet staff - 2014

kam_islash

That can be arranged.
I am a member of a lobbyist group trying to get swords included in the second amendment.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I can understand about wooden swords.....but I think plastic swords is overdoing it personally...the only thing you could do would be attack someone's eye which you could do better with a pencil or something....

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "kam_islash"That can be arranged.
I am a member of a lobbyist group trying to get swords included in the second amendment.

The right to bear arms? Dude, that doesn't change the fact that you need a license or actual good REASON to carry around a firearm. You can own swords just like you can own guns. Taking them outside is where it gets difficult.

It's not just about including it in the second amendment...it's about licensing laws and who can carry them around safely, etc.

Whatever, good luck with your political stuff.
Swap meet staff - 2014

milkmandan

Um yes I would be saying the same thing.
Why should I suffer for the deeds of others?
it isn't right to punish the many innocent for the actions of the few guilty.
life isn't fair buddy...
but honestly, just to enjoy a little plastic sword fight for 10 minutes you put the entire convention at risk.

lemme just say it frankly...
more than 1000 people go to fanime con..ok realistically i do not know the actual number but its got to be more than 1000.  So this example is VERY under estimated.

if ONE PERSON out of the 1000, brings a sword that CAN hurt someone, and DOES HURT SOMEONE.. you can kiss Fanime Con goodbye.  or at least give the real staff/coordinators a hellava time dealing with issues.

Ambulance drives to San Jose Convention Center to pick up someone who got his eye poked out cuz he was doing a sword fight. *heh* sorry..

People on the outside will only see otaku fandom as violent acts of stupidity.  The real story might say other wise, but it is something definately not even worth risking.

A SHOW , a PRACTICED show, of workshop people, who are TRAINED is allowed. but not random fans swining things around.  did you see those guys giving a display in the artist room?  they had MATS, and they were trained and probably did what they did at Fanime Con every other day of the week.

If must we see a Cloud and Seph fight, let some people who are dedicated, really make a replica cosplay costume and swords and put on a show that is registered at the con like a panel.  The people will have practiced, trained and hopefully all the nessessary pre-cautions will be met and a good show can be put on.

this is nothing to do with whats fair and unfair, but a matter of what is more important?  the saftey of everyone at the con? or some plastic sword fight that only really a few people can enjoy. fanimecon using Bush and 911 as an excuse? thats just a crazed democratic response with no political truth or back up.  EVEN if it were true, my point alone is valid enuff.

Ayapon

FanimeCon is following the legal laws as set by the City of San Jose and State of California in regards to the weapons policy that we have in place. If you are unhappy with those laws, please take it up with the city and the state. Until that time, we will comply with the set laws because otherwise, we wouldn't be able to host this convention, which would moot this entire thread I think.

The reality is that FanimeCon is made up of more than 1 person. In fact, it is not just fans (both staff and attendees). It is also made up by staff of the hotels, of the convention center, of the city and state, and by the law enforcement officials that get called out to be on site for certain instances.

Just don't let one of the instances that the police get called out be something you're involved in that is in violation of convention, city, and/or state policies.

kam_islash, this is your first warning as you've made terrorist stereotypes against the entire Muslim culture. It is unwanted here.

Aya Chow
Totally Relaxed Now (2006)
Fanime Director of Guest Relations (1999-2005)

"Kakashi" icon by krispy_kira @ LJ.com

madmanlotar

Awefully racist of you to claim that all terrorist are Muslim.

Ayapon

As the stance of FanimeCon's weapons policy has been stated above, this thread is now locked.
Aya Chow
Totally Relaxed Now (2006)
Fanime Director of Guest Relations (1999-2005)

"Kakashi" icon by krispy_kira @ LJ.com