Craziest thing that happen to you at Fanime

Started by Touya no Miko, June 03, 2006, 03:29:10 PM

NSC

during my first fanime, (it was like 2005 or 2006) me and my cousin were being such noobs and asking cosplayers if we could hug them. i asked a Robin (from Teen titans) if i could hug him. he told me no with such a serious face. then he turned to his friend and ran his hand up and down his leg and said "but you could touch the spandex" ( in such an oddly sexual way) i ran away.

last year, me and my cousin were in an elevator at the hilton and there was one other girl in too. before the door closed, a guy in a wolf suite (FURRY) hopped in. it was such an awkward ride. after he got off, the other girl in the elevator turned to us and screamed, "I hate it when furries come to our con! they have there own. and i also hate that they have to advertise that they're furries. i mean, i don't walk around with a giant sign that says i like feet!" then she got off. pretty awkward ride to our room.

Boba

1. So my sister, (ex)roomate, and I has 3 matching lolitas, just in different colors -- way cute, right? Well we ended up not realyl wearing them sadly (too many cosplays!><). Luckily, we had some strong bulky men to agree on wearing them, along with the petticoats, and wigs. The week following Fanime, my friend sends me a link from 4chan of them. <3

2. Some weirdo randomly kissed my cheek, I let it go. Then he went for the neck and I just about pulled out my shotgun. *___*
Add my @live.com email on Faceboooook! 0:

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: NSC on March 19, 2010, 02:18:57 PM
last year, me and my cousin were in an elevator at the hilton and there was one other girl in too. before the door closed, a guy in a wolf suite (FURRY) hopped in. it was such an awkward ride. after he got off, the other girl in the elevator turned to us and screamed, "I hate it when furries come to our con! they have there own. and i also hate that they have to advertise that they're furries. i mean, i don't walk around with a giant sign that says i like feet!" then she got off. pretty awkward ride to our room.

D: I don't really think there's anything wrong with furries. Lawl. And you got to find out she likes feet. :P

Quote from: Boba on March 29, 2010, 11:50:05 AM
1. So my sister, (ex)roomate, and I has 3 matching lolitas, just in different colors -- way cute, right? Well we ended up not realyl wearing them sadly (too many cosplays!><). Luckily, we had some strong bulky men to agree on wearing them, along with the petticoats, and wigs. The week following Fanime, my friend sends me a link from 4chan of them. <3

2. Some weirdo randomly kissed my cheek, I let it go. Then he went for the neck and I just about pulled out my shotgun. *___*

Lol I would not let any type of male unless it's a little boy touch my sweet and gothic lolita dresses *____* I get paranoid when people hug me when I'm wearing them in general, I worry they might dirty them and stuff. D:
Never let weirdos kiss you unless they're good looking my dear :(

Last year at the convention, I was taking photographs with people in my visual kei dress after getting out of the dance. I'm already tired out and off guard and someone ask for a photograph with me, so I was posing and stuff with my friends and this guy who asked for a picture. Then all of a sudden, someone BITES me on my shoulder. I'M SERIOUS. Then, I feel someone's arms around my hips and that kind of freaked me out because they did not feel like girl arms and so I looked around, and this guy picked me up (I was wearing heels, so this scared me even more) and it was this African American guy who had no badge, so I assume he's not an actual attendee and he just came to pick up chicks. And so this guy already creeped me out by picking me up, what else can he do? He whispers in my EAR if I have a boyfriend he should be concerned about, UGHHHHH. I am actually kind of phobic of guys, I'm not scared of them, they just happen to have no manners when they meet me =_____= So I tell this guy I only like girls and he puts me down and he asks, "You're sure you can't make any room for me?" And I say, "Unless you're Korean." And he replies with such a disgusting answer, "Sorry hun, I'm not that small."

=_____________= This happened a lot on Saturday night, I wasn't too pleased. I do not mind people coming in and out to check out the convention, but I'm not to fond when they invade my space AND BITING ME. Thing is, my friend caught a picture of him! He posed right in between the guy that ask me for a picture and I before he picked me up. ;_________; Thanks for traumatizing me more, I'm even more against men.

I look so off guard in this picture... *rage rage*

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8962/41881155345237915105621.jpg

mod edit: strictly called a dance

Yura Kyo Aures

That makes me feel nervous for this year. I'm going as Mr Cat/Neko-Sensei from Princess Tutu who is literally a talking cat. >_>

Quote from: LOVE.SAE on April 09, 2010, 10:53:01 PM
Last year at the convention, I was taking photographs with people in my visual kei dress after getting out of the dance. I'm already tired out and off guard and someone ask for a photograph with me, so I was posing and stuff with my friends and this guy who asked for a picture. Then all of a sudden, someone BITES me on my shoulder. I'M SERIOUS. Then, I feel someone's arms around my hips and that kind of freaked me out because they did not feel like girl arms and so I looked around, and this guy picked me up (I was wearing heels, so this scared me even more) and it was this African American guy who had no badge, so I assume he's not an actual attendee and he just came to pick up chicks. And so this guy already creeped me out by picking me up, what else can he do? He whispers in my EAR if I have a boyfriend he should be concerned about, UGHHHHH. I am actually kind of phobic of guys, I'm not scared of them, they just happen to have no manners when they meet me =_____= So I tell this guy I only like girls and he puts me down and he asks, "You're sure you can't make any room for me?" And I say, "Unless you're Korean." And he replies with such a disgusting answer, "Sorry hun, I'm not that small."

=_____________= This happened a lot on Saturday night, I wasn't too pleased. I do not mind people coming in and out to check out the convention, but I'm not to fond when they invade my space AND BITING ME. Thing is, my friend caught a picture of him! He posed right in between the guy that ask me for a picture and I before he picked me up. ;_________; Thanks for traumatizing me more, I'm even more against men.

That must've been horrible. :/ I got in an elavator with my guy friend and some random guy asked if I wanted to go back to his room. ;_; Not as scary as your ordeal, but it is scary! >.< I'm just glad my friend was there. .___.

But the craziest thing at Fanime...? The whole ordeal with me supposidly getting lost which scared the crap outta my friends; I gave my bag to my friend to hold because it was rubbing against my neck and making it sore; which had my ID and phone. I went off to help a girl get out of her costume and told my friends but it seems they didn't hear me. They panicked and of course neither of us could contact each other. So started this whole thing where we're trying to find each other; and I dragged the girl along with me T_T

Fortunatly we found each other and then I went and bought the girl her dinner because I felt so bad for all the drama. >_>

The best craziest thing at Fanimke was just being there. :D My first convention!

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: Yura Kyo Aures on April 10, 2010, 03:10:00 AM
That must've been horrible. :/ I got in an elavator with my guy friend and some random guy asked if I wanted to go back to his room. ;_; Not as scary as your ordeal, but it is scary! >.< I'm just glad my friend was there. .___.

WHY DO GUYS DO THAT. *RAGE RAGE*
I'm going to be even more ready than I was last year. *__________*
LET'S NOT HOLD BACK AND JUST ATTACK THEM. LIKE CRAZY BANSHEES.

But the craziest thing at Fanime...? The whole ordeal with me supposedly getting lost which scared the crap outta my friends; I gave my bag to my friend to hold because it was rubbing against my neck and making it sore; which had my ID and phone. I went off to help a girl get out of her costume and told my friends but it seems they didn't hear me. They panicked and of course neither of us could contact each other. So started this whole thing where we're trying to find each other; and I dragged the girl along with me T_T

Fortunately we found each other and then I went and bought the girl her dinner because I felt so bad for all the drama. >_>

The best craziest thing at Fanime was just being there. :D My first convention!

Getting lost.... is sometimes fun actually. Lol I think it's sweet how you bought dinner for the girl, must have became good friends with her too :D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Yes there are quite a few weirdos at the Fanimu.
Me I would never ask a girl if she wanted to go back to my room out of the blue. Maybe if she was showing interest and I had some courage at the time, but even then not so directly. Though having a group of roommates would make that impossible.
As for creepers kissing girls without permission. That is simply crossing the line. Though there was one time when I hugged someone at the Fanimu without there permission, or rather mistaking permission, it sounds like this guy just decided to give you a kiss, then continued to try in a intimate matter. Thats just creepy as hell. Was it that one Vampire guy that was biting girls necks? When I saw him he was asking permission but even so I can imagine him becoming to full of himself. Though many teen/tweens became his instant fangirls when I saw him, because biting people is apparently sexy. Damn Twilight.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 13, 2010, 12:13:28 PM
Was it that one Vampire guy that was biting girls necks? When I saw him he was asking permission but even so I can imagine him becoming to full of himself. Though many teen/tweens became his instant fangirls when I saw him, because biting people is apparently sexy. Damn Twilight.

There was another person biting girls' necks too? >___> What is the world coming too. This is the only worry I ever have when going to the convention, I just don't want random men to get into my personal space unless I know them a little more :/ Vampire characters are overdone in American fiction at the moment. The guy who bit me was African American ; 3 ;

NSC

That makes me feel nervous for this year. I'm going as Mr Cat/Neko-Sensei from Princess Tutu who is literally a talking cat. >_>
dude, Mr. cat was my favorite character in princess tutu. i will welcome you with open arms.

"if you keep coming to class late i will force you to be my bride!"

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: LOVE.SAE on April 13, 2010, 03:07:36 PM
Was it that one Vampire guy that was biting girls necks? When I saw him he was asking permission but even so I can imagine him becoming to full of himself. Though many teen/tweens became his instant fangirls when I saw him, because biting people is apparently sexy. Damn Twilight.

There was another person biting girls' necks too? >___> What is the world coming too. This is the only worry I ever have when going to the convention, I just don't want random men to get into my personal space unless I know them a little more :/ Vampire characters are overdone in American fiction at the moment. The guy who bit me was African American ; 3 ;

Then it was a different guy. That makes me sad for Fanimu. Damn Twilight.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 14, 2010, 01:26:02 AM
Quote from: LOVE.SAE on April 13, 2010, 03:07:36 PM

Then it was a different guy. That makes me sad for Fanimu. Damn Twilight.

( ; _________ ; ) I don't think anyone should be going around biting people, especially if you've never met them before. They might spread cooties. This is a great lesson for boys and girls, do not go around biting people おねがいします~ ( T A T ) I hope there aren't a lot of vampire cosplays this year.

I had one other bad experience at fanime before. I would really enjoy walking in the halls, but once a young lady bumped into me, she was in cosplay, so I apologized on natural reaction and she just "tsk" me and looks at me as if it was all my fault, not that it is either of our faults. Buuu, it was very confusing to me, I just want to meet more humble people at the convention, with sweet energy and manners.

Touya no Miko

Yes there are quite a few weirdos at the Fanimu.
Me I would never ask a girl if she wanted to go back to my room out of the blue. Maybe if she was showing interest and I had some courage at the time, but even then not so directly. Though having a group of roommates would make that impossible.
As for creepers kissing girls without permission. That is simply crossing the line. Though there was one time when I hugged someone at the Fanimu without there permission, or rather mistaking permission, it sounds like this guy just decided to give you a kiss, then continued to try in a intimate matter. Thats just creepy as hell. Was it that one Vampire guy that was biting girls necks? When I saw him he was asking permission but even so I can imagine him becoming to full of himself. Though many teen/tweens became his instant fangirls when I saw him, because biting people is apparently sexy. Damn Twilight.

You mean Lestat? I met him at Yaoi-con. He's a cool guy.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Neo-Zaku

*Sigh* And it's some of these horror stories that I have seen that piss me off for a variety of reasons. First, it reflects badly on anime fans and by extension the geek community. Second, it causes problems for the cons both in image and possibly legal if it were to ever (Please don't) go too far. And lastly, I am already a pretty shy guy to begin with so I really have a hard time trying to talk women without the added stress of trying to figure out how to not be suspected of being a creep while making it clear I am interested.

I know there are the obvious things about being polite, knowing when to back off, etc. I guess I just worry too much about that sort of thing. I am just as hyper paranoid when taking pictures as well. I always make sure they get a chance to see the photos I take of them.
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

CountMetal

The first Fanime I attended(2005) on the last day, I saw a random girl holding up a sign that says "Kisses for a Dollar" So I gave her a dollar and I was expecting a regular kiss on the cheek, but she ended up French kissing.

Back in 2007, I was hanging out with the Naruto group and one of the girls in the group crossplay as Naruto so we made out and suddenly Sakura joined and was on top of me followed by Kakashi who grabbed my behind. It turned out to be a Team 7 4some. Everyone took pictures and also there's a video of it on you tube.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: CountMetal on April 15, 2010, 01:10:47 PM
The first Fanime I attended(2005) on the last day, I saw a random girl holding up a sign that says "Kisses for a Dollar" So I gave her a dollar and I was expecting a regular kiss on the cheek, but she ended up French kissing.

Back in 2007, I was hanging out with the Naruto group and one of the girls in the group crossplay as Naruto so we made out and suddenly Sakura joined and was on top of me followed by Kakashi who grabbed my behind. It turned out to be a Team 7 4some. Everyone took pictures and also there's a video of it on you tube.

Wait are we supposed to be proud of you or something?

Thank God we don't AS MUCH of that crap going on now a days, it really makes the con look bad.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Wonderly

Last year, I was in one of the elevators in the Marriott, and in each corner there were these people dressed in black facing away from everyone. I don't remember if they had their hoods up or something, but I think so. Anyway, they didn't move throughout the whole ride up to my room (I was on like the 23rd floor or something), or on any of the stops on the way up. And as any Fanime attendee knows, the elevators stop on almost every floor. I wouldn't really call it crazy, more like creative. In a kinda creepy way. I gotta give them props for not busting out laughing.

Touya no Miko

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 15, 2010, 11:56:21 PM
Quote from: CountMetal on April 15, 2010, 01:10:47 PM

Wait are we supposed to be proud of you or something?

Thank God we don't AS MUCH of that crap going on now a days, it really makes the con look bad.

That video was taken by me, yo. Also, I don't think he's trying to boast, just sharing a wacky story about his own experience like the rest of us.  

As a fellow female cosplayer who had her share of creepers, being attacked by creeps at a con should be the least of your worries. It's a lot more dangerous OUTSIDE of a convention, believe me. Most con attendees are young kids who lack proper social skills and can get a little crazy. But that doesn't sabotage an entire con. Except when someone gets seriously hurt, but that's very rare. So long as you don't interact with those people you won't have any worries.

Another thing, it's all right to be alert of creeps, but don't walk around the con in paranoia believing everyone is going to rape you. If someone is giving you unwanted attention without your consent, simply walk away, and if they persist, go to the rovers, they're scattered throughout the building.

And as for the biting vampire guy, as long as both parties are okay with it, there's no harm done.

michiko nakano

Lestat.  He bites people, they like it.  Let it happen.

TC X0 Lt 0X

The way I am interpreting it it sounds like boasting. I lack to see any sign of shame in the post. Which saddens me greatly...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Touya no Miko

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 16, 2010, 10:07:20 PM
The way I am interpreting it it sounds like boasting. I lack to see any sign of shame in the post. Which saddens me greatly...

It's an anime con, where anime fans squeal over Japanese cartoons together, and dress wildly in public. What shame is there anyway? It's true that some limits need to be placed down, but people can show off their fandoms and affections how they want, so long as it is within con boundaries, goes by con rules, and both parties are consent. I made this thread to share crazy con experiences, not to criticize others on their behavior. When really, I think it's better to not rain down on someone else's parade(unless they are really out of line and pose a threat) just because you don't like the sight of it or you don't agree. Best thing to do is to not associate with them, and be on your way.

Unless you want to do it like in the Japanese conventions, where cosplayers and fans are only allowed to change into a costume inside the con, pose for photos, buy some stuff, change, then leave.

That said, I'm getting a mod to lock this thread.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Touya no Miko on April 17, 2010, 12:24:29 AM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 16, 2010, 10:07:20 PM

It's an anime con, where anime fans squeal over Japanese cartoons together, and dress wildly in public. What shame is there anyway? It's true that some limits need to be placed down, but people can show off their fandoms and affections how they want, so long as it is within con boundaries, goes by con rules, and both parties are consent. I made this thread to share crazy con experiences, not to criticize others on their behavior. When really, I think it's better to not rain down on someone else's parade(unless they are really out of line and pose a threat) just because you don't like the sight of it or you don't agree. Best thing to do is to not associate with them, and be on your way.

Unless you want to do it like in the Japanese conventions, where cosplayers and fans are only allowed to change into a costume inside the con, pose for photos, buy some stuff, change, then leave.

That said, I'm getting a mod to lock this thread.

Anime Convention=/get out of jail free pass for socially inept youths.

True, Fanime is supposed to be a fun environment for people who enjoy Anime, Video Games, cosplay, and everything that is Japanese popular culture. That doesn't mean, however, that it's ok for a bunch of tween and young teens (and older teens and young adults...I know) dressed up as their favorite characters to engage in behavior that they KNOW would be totally inappropriate outside of the "convention".

Unfortunately the whole "it's ok as long as it's within con rules and both parties 'consent'" argument falls flat because it's not just about your experience at the con. It's also about the younger generation of possible future attendees who may be there with their parents, or other professionals who may be reporting on the convention and providing a look into Fanime for the general public. Do you think that you'd want to pay for your child's weekend pass when you come on a Saturday afternoon/evening and find a huge line of scantily dressed/half naked kids with random signs that say "Hug me!" "Kisses for a dollar!" "Yuri for $5!" etc? I don't think so.

In any case, I think that it is possible to have a lot of fun at Fanime without having complete disregard for any semblance of decency just because it's "an anime convention".

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015