Will Fanime be happening on the same date as SW Celebration

Started by kndy, June 05, 2006, 10:23:11 AM

kndy

Hi everyone,

Some of you probably heard that the mega Star Wars event "Celebration" will be hosted in California for the first time on Memorial Day May 2007.  I'm curious if Fanime will be on the same weekend.

http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20060526.html

kndy

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "kndy"Hi everyone,

Some of you probably heard that the mega Star Wars event "Celebration" will be hosted in California for the first time on Memorial Day May 2007.  I'm curious if Fanime will be on the same weekend.

http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20060526.html

kndy

I wouldn't be suprised if it is on the same date, tho I doubt it would affect other cons (or at least I would be suprised if it did).

Tho it would be funny if all the Trekkies came in and raided the convention. hahahaha

kndy

Well, I know planning against SDCC has been a no-no.  Fanime was on the same date of PMX in 2004 and that was quite interesting having to pick one over the other.  But although the event is apples and oranges, I wouldn't be surprised if cosplayers had to choose (knowing that certain major cosplay groups have done Star Wars and LOTR cosplay as well).  I know a few friends who are curious of the SW Celebration event because it's an anniversary event and it's the first time it's been in Cali.

But I guess we'll see... Fanime has always survived no matter what con lies on their same date.  But otherwise, I guess we have the opportunity to pick and choose two events on Memorial Day 2007.

kndy

phoenixphire24

I know they probably won't move Fanime for the Star Wars Celebration, but I bet it's going to be a hard choice for some people. I live closer to SJ, so it's easier to go to Fanime, but man, that sure is a tempting event. There's always AX in July.

Eurobeat King

As much as I love Star Wars, I'd still probably stay at Fanime all weekend long next year if they did happen the same weekend.  When it comes to a choice, I prefer anime cons over sci-fi/comic cons.  Back in 2005, I chose Katsucon over WonderCon (both at the same time), even though WonderCon was closer (here in SF) and a lot cheaper..
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

otakuya

FanimeCon will happen on Memorial Day weekend at SJCC for a few more years, including 2007.

I haven't heard anything official about long term plans, but if the City of San Jose allowed having those FanimeCon banners around downtown San Jose, expect FanimeCon being around for a long time (I still saw a few of them earlier today near the Fairmont Hotel).

Eri

Last I heard, we are staying on Memorial Day weekend for a while.

Having Baycon (sci fi convention) down the street from us (literally) hasn't hurt us at all.. I really don't think it'll affect us that much..

As for the lamp post banners, anyone can get banners hanged.. We got around to hanging them this year.
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

Charming_Dorian

Mach5Motorsport

Since Star Wars is very much a genre specific event, I doubt very much it would be a negative, unless there's a big exedus of dealer favorites opting for San Diego.  As for the reference to PMX back in '04.  That little drama is way over. It's been cussed and discussed.

As for future Fanime dates, (our initial three-year run in SJ has concluded) I wouldn't be surprised to hear soon of a long-term deal in San Jose for more than three years.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Zain

PMX? Aren't they the ones who changed weekends to avoid going up against fanime again? ;)

We've been at the SJCC on Memorial Day weekend for the last few years and will continue for the next few years. If SW Celebration decides to be on the same weekend as us... well, don't blame us.
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

topnotch97

wow Star Wars convention for five days? dang.
i remember back when fanimecon was like a 3-day con, now we're a four day con.

i wouldn't be surprised if that Star Wars convention would coincide with Fanime especially when booking for a convention center is really challenging.

i would love to go, if only that convention is like a half-hour drive.
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "topnotch97"wow Star Wars convention for five days? dang.
i remember back when fanimecon was like a 3-day con, now we're a four day con.

i wouldn't be surprised if that Star Wars convention would coincide with Fanime especially when booking for a convention center is really challenging.

i would love to go, if only that convention is like a half-hour drive.

I am suprised that the SW Con isn't in SF since that is where all the real SW geeks are (and Lucas Films).  :twisted:

I really hope fanimecon does not become a 5 day event.. oh god it would feel like that movie grounhog day! :shock:

Eurobeat King

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"I really hope fanimecon does not become a 5 day event.. oh god it would feel like that movie grounhog day! :shock:

Hehe It already IS a 5-day event, if you count Thursday, the pre-reg. day.  I know I did, because of the fun swap-meet on Thursday night and hanging out around the convention center during the day before it began. :)

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "Eurobeat King"
Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"I really hope fanimecon does not become a 5 day event.. oh god it would feel like that movie grounhog day! :shock:

Hehe It already IS a 5-day event, if you count Thursday, the pre-reg. day.  I know I did, because of the fun swap-meet on Thursday night and hanging out around the convention center during the day before it began. :)

LOL I count thursday as get your shite in gear before the con day! But yeah thursday was sureal because it felt like a saturday to me XD.

Shinsengumi

Man, I want to check it out but I can't miss fanime and plus it's in LA. To me it's pretty far but a 5-day con that's worth going for SW fans.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

ScrawnySquall

unfortunately, I wouldn't miss SWC IV for the world.... :/  SO no Fanime 2007 for me :o
Fanime Masquerade Staff '06

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "ScrawnySquall"unfortunately, I wouldn't miss SWC IV for the world.... :/  SO no Fanime 2007 for me :o

Ah yes.  It should be fun.  Getting all those SW geeks (er, fans) watching a pirate copy of "Christmas in Endor" and demanding Lucas release the final, final, fan edition to the original trilogy.  :lol:

And then there is the obligatory sight of the poor unfortunate Star Trekker wandering around the festival. :cry:

Yeah, it will be 30 years since the release of "A New Hope"  I was there as a nine-year old. However, I don't know how you can stretch it out for five day event just on six films.  (Ok, maybe including the Ewoks and Droids cartoons)
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Eurobeat King

Quote from: "Shinsengumi"Man, I want to check it out but I can't miss fanime and plus it's in LA. To me it's pretty far but a 5-day con that's worth going for SW fans.

Each year they already have a 5-day con that has a lot of Star Wars stuff: it's called San Diego Comic Con.  (the 5th day is the Preview Night they have on Wednesday) There's more than just SW stuff at SDCC, but it's still quite popular there.

I'll still stick with Fanime in 2007.  The only time I really travel down to L.A. would be for AX, SDCC, Animagic, AnimeLA, and maybe PMX (starting this year.) So staying local for Fanime would be cheaper and more (if not equal) fun. :)

topnotch97

but hey, if they got Staw Wars plushies.... I'm There!!!

ahahaahahaa :lol:
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

kndy

Quote from: "topnotch97"but hey, if they got Staw Wars plushies.... I'm There!!!

ahahaahahaa :lol:

Sure, a plethora of Plushies and many women cosplaying in slave Leia outfits.

kndy