2007 Masquerade News

Started by angeljibrille, June 08, 2006, 12:32:02 PM

Barnes

Center for Performing Arts. WOW!
Thats across the street from the Crowne Plaza, right?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Miss Goku

Quote from: "Michi"If my group works out, I should be in the masq again this year. I loved how it was ran last year, too!! ^_^v

Anyone remember about what time the masq participants had to be there last year? I'm trying to figure out how late I can wear my non-masq cosplay before it's too late...

I dont really remember... I think it was somewhere between 3 or 5 but I cant remember >.< I have such a bad brain.

LunaNeko

Quote from: "Miss Goku="Michi"If my group works out, I should be in the masq again this ye"][quotear. I loved how it was ran last year, too!! ^_^v

Anyone remember about what time the masq participants had to be there last year? I'm trying to figure out how late I can wear my non-masq cosplay before it's too late...

I dont really remember... I think it was somewhere between 3 or 5 but I cant remember >.< I have such a bad brain.[/quote]

I think it was like 5 or 6, but some groups chose to reherse and that one was at 1 or so and kinda ran late.  I am in the same situation, I am in big cosplay group that day and still need to change in masq costume which is going to be a few layers, lol. Ick.
Also, I was wondering if they will have crafts judging like last year and if it would be possible to sign up for it online, that'd be cool.

UsakoMinako

Thanks Marisa! You're "The BOMB"

In the links Marisa gave, I found stage demensions in the SPECS link
http://sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/perf_arts.php?x=specs

angeljibrille

Quote from: "YuffieK"What day is the masquerade gonna be on this year?

Rule of thumb is it's always going to be on the 3rd day of the convention. So, this year, it's on Sunday. :)

Thanks,
Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Miss Goku"Hey I also had a question about lanuage that we can and cant use in the skits... Like bad words or profanities.

I'm like the least uptight person in the world about this stuff, BUT, I have to think of the convention :P

There are going to be LOTS of little kids in the audience (think of the children), and their possibly hyper-sensitve sue-happy parents. Therefore, we designate the Masquerade as a "family" event.

PLEASE use good judgement and don't:
1. Reveal normally covered body parts (no Janet Jackson style or Ron Jeremy style skits please  :P  No mooning either :P ) PLEASE if you are dressing up as Chocolate Misu... wear a freaking body suit. If you totally look like you are going to pop out of your costume on stage and haven't properly sewn your costume or glued yourself in, we are going to seriously question if it's going to be a huge potential problem to let you wear that poorly-designed-and-likely-to-rip-off DOA2 Volleyball swimsuit or Rikku costume on stage.
2. Use overt profanity (saying "You f****** suck you s**ty c***") will get you booted. Usually anything that's on normal TV (not cable) or radio (not satellite) is OK. If you want to make a funny skit bleeping yourself without actually saying anything? Go for it.
3. Do some overtly implied sex act on the stage
4. Make crass comments about any real life race, religion, gender, or preference -- be respectful of other people, OK ?

Basically use common sense. If you have a question if it's OK or not, ask me. We are pretty flexible, I'm not here to be your mommy.

Marisa

cassey k

omggg!!! coool. my first masquerade that i can sign up to.
lmao.
[size=10]i love my seattle boy
I see you lying next to me, with words i thought i'd never speak. awake and unafraid, asleep or dead.
-my chem. famous last words[/size]

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Shaxel"Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I thought the Masq. rules were going to be posted on March 1st?

I'm trying to get a skit together but if it DOES work out it would be my first time doing one, so I'm not sure what the rules are or where I should be looking for them. I tried the Fanime homepage and I didn't see any posted here yet? But maybe this isn't the right spot for them?

Coming soon! Basics?

3 minutes max
12 people max

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Michi"If my group works out, I should be in the masq again this year. I loved how it was ran last year, too!! ^_^v

We are still working out an exact schedule because it has to do with union rules, mandatory breaks, etc.  

I believe we are scheduled to start at 6:30pm, so the mandatory meeting and contestant seating is probably going to be around 5:00pm (I'm not swearing to this!). The rehearsal will be earlier in the day.

cassey k

noooo i need to finish my hw by thne... DANG!!!!!!! T_T cant it be on a saturday???
I see you lying next to me, with words i thought i'd never speak. awake and unafraid, asleep or dead.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "cassey k"noooo i need to finish my hw by thne... DANG!!!!!!! T_T cant it be on a saturday???

There is going to be a special concert on Saturday, there's no way to have Masquerade that day. Also, registration, music submission, and craftsmanship judging takes the full 2.5 days prior to the event, we need every minute. Also, being in the Masq is a big time commitment -- you need to be there from 5pm - 11pm on Sunday (we do have small children or people with valid reasons go first though if needed, so they can leave early).

Sorry! :(

Marisa

cassey k

aww well if i get in, can i leave early coz of curfew???

DayDreamerNessa

I'm just curious as to why this new place? I'm not familiar with it at all, so i don't know what's the appeal of it, and also from what i remember it's a little bit of a walk to get over there =/
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

angeljibrille

Quote from: "DayDreamerNessa"I'm just curious as to why this new place? I'm not familiar with it at all, so i don't know what's the appeal of it, and also from what i remember it's a little bit of a walk to get over there =/

From what I understand this decision was made because getting equipment for the old theater was too expensive and getting more expensive every year. Fanime is able to save a great deal of money because this theater comes fully set up with all the audio/visual type systems (lights, sound, stage dressing, etc.) and it's run by highly experienced union staff as well.

Honestly I don't really know everything; I went to a Fanime meeting and they said "lookie! a new theater!" So that was my input on it ("Eh??!"). It looks like it's a really nice setup, so I think in the long run it will be more comfortable for the audience (no huge speakers on the stage booming at them) and for the contestants. They are definitely trying to provide you with a better and more professional environment, which is a huge compliment :)

hellangel

*nods* it may be a little bit farther away, but it's reeeeally nice ^__^
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

SuperKawaiiNeko

Will the AMV Contest and Gakufest be held here at this new theater as well?
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Shaxel

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Quote from: "Shaxel"Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I thought the Masq. rules were going to be posted on March 1st?

I'm trying to get a skit together but if it DOES work out it would be my first time doing one, so I'm not sure what the rules are or where I should be looking for them. I tried the Fanime homepage and I didn't see any posted here yet? But maybe this isn't the right spot for them?

Coming soon! Basics?

3 minutes max
12 people max

XD Thanks..now I just need to see if my companions will go for it or not. I know this is family oriented but would mild shounen ai be ok? No sexually explicit things just stating some 'I love yous'...I don't think that's any worse than most of the things on tv now a days? Also about the sound system and stuff..does this mean we need to pre-record our skits? Or actually memorize our lines for on stage performance?

Sorry to be asking so many things, but I'm completely new to this..I didn't even stay last year for the Masq because I found the seating too claustrophobic. O_O I needed to breathe!

hellangel

Quote from: "Shaxel"I know this is family oriented but would mild shounen ai be ok? No sexually explicit things just stating some 'I love yous'

As far as I know, that's fine. I've seen plenty of nice skits that were shounen-ai based.

Quote from: "Shaxel"Also about the sound system and stuff..does this mean we need to pre-record our skits? Or actually memorize our lines for on stage performance?

You don't *have* to, but that option is open to you. You don't have to memorize lines, either. Presentation-wise, though, both of those options are probably better and look more impressive.

(uhm, angeljibrille, feel free to correct anything I've said ^^")
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

DayDreamerNessa

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Quote from: "DayDreamerNessa"I'm just curious as to why this new place? I'm not familiar with it at all, so i don't know what's the appeal of it, and also from what i remember it's a little bit of a walk to get over there =/

From what I understand this decision was made because getting equipment for the old theater was too expensive and getting more expensive every year. Fanime is able to save a great deal of money because this theater comes fully set up with all the audio/visual type systems (lights, sound, stage dressing, etc.) and it's run by highly experienced union staff as well.

Honestly I don't really know everything; I went to a Fanime meeting and they said "lookie! a new theater!" So that was my input on it ("Eh??!"). It looks like it's a really nice setup, so I think in the long run it will be more comfortable for the audience (no huge speakers on the stage booming at them) and for the contestants. They are definitely trying to provide you with a better and more professional environment, which is a huge compliment :)

Do you know if the masquerade contestants will be able to watch from the audience again ^^? I really loved that, and i'm hoping you guys will be able to do that again, it'd be too awesome!
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++