2007 Masquerade News

Started by angeljibrille, June 08, 2006, 12:32:02 PM

BrightHeart76

Just a silly question that you can get to when you have a moment.  I've heard you mention that some other con's are requiring pictures and stuff to prove that you made your cosplay.  What kind of documentation is going to be required for Fanime Masquerade?  I just want to make sure that I'm prepared, I'd hate to come up short in May.

Thanks again.   :D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "BrightHeart76"Just a silly question that you can get to when you have a moment.  I've heard you mention that some other con's are requiring pictures and stuff to prove that you made your cosplay.  What kind of documentation is going to be required for Fanime Masquerade?  I just want to make sure that I'm prepared, I'd hate to come up short in May.

Thanks again.   :D

We require... wait for it...

Absolutely nothing ^_^;;

We kindly suggest that you bring a minimum of two reference pictures (at least one in color if possible) to show the judges if you are going to be judged for Crafsmanship. If you are being judged for your presentation only, don't sweat it, you don't need anything.

People who bring in their "master book" with fabric samples, exhastive creation references, and detailed reference pictures often do better in the Craftsmanship portion of the event and are more likely to win an Advanced Crafsmanship awards because it shows they documented the costume and "went the extra mile". However, we have had costumes win that do not have exhaustive reference materials as long as the person being judged for crafsmanship can explain what they did and why in a knowledgeable way.

:)

LunaNeko

Silly question: Do we need to wear our costumes to crafts judging???

angeljibrille

Quote from: "LunaNeko"Silly question: Do we need to wear our costumes to crafts judging???

Actually, you don't. Sometimes people will just bring the costume in so that the judges can inspect it while it is off, so they can look at the details without having to be too "in your personal space". They actually really enjoy looking at the costumes just on a hanger :)

They can see the costume on you when you are on stage. Really we only suggest that you HAVE to wear it when you have extensive body paint and/or special hair details that can only be appreciated close up. If this is the case, you can make a special appointment for Sunday judging for when you are in full costume. Please let me know if you need this accomodation when Masq Reg opens. :)

Thanks!
Marisa

Miss Goku

I have abother question.. sorry if it has already been asked. Is everyone in the group have to be judged on craft judging? I hope that question made sence

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Miss Goku"I have abother question.. sorry if it has already been asked. Is everyone in the group have to be judged on craft judging? I hope that question made sence

You can be judged as an individual, a group, or both.

So, if you want to win a group Craftsmanship award -- the entire group has to be judged. That's because by definition it's a group award and needs to be judged as so.

An individual who is in a group can also win an Individual Craftsmanship award too. You could just get judged yourself (or a couple of people in your group can be judged as individuals) and you can win an individual award.

In fact, it's rare, but potentially your group could win and one person out of your group could win as well as an individual.

So your answer basically is that, no, the entire group does not need to be judged... -unless- you want to win a group award.

I hope that helps :)
Marisa

Miss Goku

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Quote from: "Miss Goku"I have abother question.. sorry if it has already been asked. Is everyone in the group have to be judged on craft judging? I hope that question made sence

You can be judged as an individual, a group, or both.

So, if you want to win a group Craftsmanship award -- the entire group has to be judged. That's because by definition it's a group award and needs to be judged as so.

An individual who is in a group can also win an Individual Craftsmanship award too. You could just get judged yourself (or a couple of people in your group can be judged as individuals) and you can win an individual award.

In fact, it's rare, but potentially your group could win and one person out of your group could win as well as an individual.

So your answer basically is that, no, the entire group does not need to be judged... -unless- you want to win a group award.

I hope that helps :)
Marisa

Cool thanks ^_^

Black_Knight

We kindly suggest that you bring a minimum of two reference pictures (at least one in color if possible) to show the judges if you are going to be judged for Crafsmanship. If you are being judged for your presentation only, don't sweat it, you don't need anything.

What if I bring a figure of what I used to work on, would that be acceptible since it's a 3-d reference.

Quote from: "angeljibrille"People who bring in their "master book" with fabric samples, exhastive creation references, and detailed reference pictures often do better in the Craftsmanship portion of the event and are more likely to win an Advanced Crafsmanship awards because it shows they documented the costume and "went the extra mile". However, we have had costumes win that do not have exhaustive reference materials as long as the person being judged for crafsmanship can explain what they did and why in a knowledgeable way.

:)

In making a 'master book' should I try to collect the blood I lost while working on my project as proof of injuries I sustained while working with metal mesh? Most of the lacerations on my fingertips don't leave scars, (Although the second degree burns from hot glue do) Although now I have to pick and choose what to bring since I've been working on this cosutme for the last 4 years. (Last week was the 4th anniversary)

I was wondering what contact information I should use for the Center for the Performing Arts, since I'm still interesting in trying to get podiums. (While I'm sure the Convention Center has them, I don't want to go through the red tape of getting them from there and carrying them to the Performing Arts Center)

Also will there be a video feed of the acts for people near the back? Like they use for most live preformances in which you can watch the stage or a giant TV screen?
4Chan World Tour

1Fireforge

You know, the master told his apprentice to do his work with his life's blood, but never to let it show =)

- FF, with a few pricked fingers himself

Let's go VOLTRON force!

G-Force

I'm curious if there are still any slots for the ten minute special performances as I'm interested in obtaining. I've sent an e-mail to the link provided on the main site but I have yet to recieve a reply and it's been three days.

Lawliet

How quicky do the spots fill up? Do I need to be up at 12 in the morning waiting for the reg. to open in order to get a spot? Or would it be safe as long as I do it in a day or two? I wouldn't be too happy about letting my friends and such down because I couldn't get a spot after I bullied them into doing this.  :o
Boku wa L desu~

arcadiapandora

For the special-non-masq performances, what are the limitations?

Since one of the allowed things is professional quality vocal performance, would an opera duet from Madame Butterfly qualify? It's an italian opera, but the characters involved in the duet are both Japanese.

The guidelines for those performances are a little iffy, so basically I'm asking if it has to be asian/japanese oriented, or can it go beyond? And for the masq itself, if the duet isn't applicable, could you sing a three minute song in japanese as your masq performance?

Sorry for the barrage of questions ;o.
<3

angeljibrille

Quote from: "arcadiapandora"For the special-non-masq performances, what are the limitations?

Since one of the allowed things is professional quality vocal performance, would an opera duet from Madame Butterfly qualify? It's an italian opera, but the characters involved in the duet are both Japanese.

The guidelines for those performances are a little iffy, so basically I'm asking if it has to be asian/japanese oriented, or can it go beyond? And for the masq itself, if the duet isn't applicable, could you sing a three minute song in japanese as your masq performance?

Sorry for the barrage of questions ;o.

This would be super cool. E-mail me at cosplay @ fanime . com (remove spaces) and we can discuss :)

Marisa

arcadiapandora

This would be super cool. E-mail me at cosplay @ fanime . com (remove spaces) and we can discuss :)

Marisa

PM sent!

EDIT
I sent an e-mail the other day as well, but the PM has slightly more detailed and specific info.
<3

Miss Goku

Hey, I just checked and I can't find where you can pre register. Umm is it up yet or am i just looking in all the wrong places?

Edit: Never mind I got it ^__^

Lelouch_R

:roll:

Hi. I have tried the registration for the Masquerade,
but I haven't recived the confirmation email.
So, I can't complete the rest of the registration

did I do somthing wrong? :?:
Or will it take time? :?:

I am not using aol... :shock:

foamalchemist

Quote from: "Lelouch_R":roll:

Hi. I have tried the registration for the Masquerade,
but I haven't recived the confirmation email.
So, I can't complete the rest of the registration

did I do somthing wrong? :?:
Or will it take time? :?:

I am not using aol... :shock:
Well, did your group name show up on the registered group list?
My group name did show up, so I assume we have a spot---, so I'm going to sit tight until my email comes... I'm hoping that's the right thing to do. :)

Lelouch_R

Quote from: "foamalchemist"Well, did your group name show up on the registered group list?
My group name did show up, so I assume we have a spot---, so I'm going to sit tight until my email comes... I'm hoping that's the right thing to do. :)

Thank you, foamalchemist.
Yes, I found my group name in the registered group page.
Yeah, then I guess I will wait for my email, too.

Thanks.

Oyasuminasai :wink:

doragon

Quote from: "Lelouch_R"
Quote from: "foamalchemist"Well, did your group name show up on the registered group list?

Thank you, foamalchemist.
Yes, I found my group name in the registered group page.
Yeah, then I guess I will wait for my email, too.

Thanks.

Oyasuminasai :wink:
Do you use gmail?  Check your Spam box, that's where mine shot to ~

I have a question with this nifty little handy dandy edit form area for the masq.  Is this going to be available after we submit and confirm all the information?  Say, if we lose a member and need to delete them out of the group or realize the lighting situation - we had something in mind but don't have anything timed with the audio if we.. actually did something and such?
Stuff!

angeljibrille

Quote from: "doragon"I have a question with this nifty little handy dandy edit form area for the masq.  Is this going to be available after we submit and confirm all the information?  Say, if we lose a member and need to delete them out of the group or realize the lighting situation - we had something in mind but don't have anything timed with the audio if we.. actually did something and such?

I'm just running to work, but, quick answer:

I will approve any accounts that are not set to "activated" in about two hours. So please try logging in after 12:00pm (noon) PST today :)  You may not get an e-mail. Just try logging in instead...

Also, yes, the "nifty little handy dandy edit form area" (thank you! I tried! ^_^) edit form WLL be avaialbe until May 20. After that, you will need to make changes at the convention. We allow you to make changes up until Saturday, May 26, at the covention at Masquerade Registration.

Marisa