Questions about Glomping/Hugging...

Started by uzutake, June 25, 2006, 08:44:49 PM

uzutake

Why do some people dont like it? Just wondering...I mean, its a great feeling to be hugged by someone, especially someone like you *cough* otaku *cough*

And most people say yes to total stranger hugs anyway...but why do others say no? Owo?

Stormfalcon

It comes down to two reasons for the most part.  The first is that some people aren't particularly affectionate and prefer a greater amount of personal space than others might.  That means that they prefer more distance between themselves and others and would rather that others not get that close, let alone hug them.

The other reason is that they're not all that comfortable with people they don't particularly know, especially when it comes to physical contact.  If they know you fairly well, then they'd be more comfortable with a hug.  If they don't, then that hug would really put them off.

It just comes down to respecting each other's comfort zones.  There may be a lot in common between hugger and huggee, but if the huggee isn't comfortable with it, then it'd be prudent for the hugger to back off.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

scyper15

And some crazy otaku's glomp can be as dangerous and standing in the middle of a freeway on a busy day.

uzutake

Quote from: "Stormfalcon"It comes down to two reasons for the most part.  The first is that some people aren't particularly affectionate and prefer a greater amount of personal space than others might.  That means that they prefer more distance between themselves and others and would rather that others not get that close, let alone hug them.

The other reason is that they're not all that comfortable with people they don't particularly know, especially when it comes to physical contact.  If they know you fairly well, then they'd be more comfortable with a hug.  If they don't, then that hug would really put them off.

It just comes down to respecting each other's comfort zones.  There may be a lot in common between hugger and huggee, but if the huggee isn't comfortable with it, then it'd be prudent for the hugger to back off.

Sounds reasonable...

uzutake

Quote from: "scyper15"And some crazy otaku's glomp can be as dangerous and standing in the middle of a freeway on a busy day.

...sounds bad. O__O

Narcissu

I personally dislike glomping because some... "overzealous" people don't ask first...

Have you read this? :
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=3068

Nina Star 9

i personally do not lik eit because i am an anti-social freak and any physical human contact can make me be freaked out for the rest of the day. o-o

uzutake

Quote from: "Narcissu"I personally dislike glomping because some... "overzealous" people don't ask first...

Have you read this? :
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=3068

Oh, and yes I have read it...

uzutake

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"i personally do not lik eit because i am an anti-social freak and any physical human contact can make me be freaked out for the rest of the day. o-o

...understood completely.

mDuo13

Another hypothetical problem arises when the glomper emits the aroma of the ripe otaku.

uzutake

Quote from: "mDuo13"Another hypothetical problem arises when the glomper emits the aroma of the ripe otaku.

*twitches* ...ew.

dosukinuta4

One more thing not yet mentioned is that some people's costumes are fragil, and one good glomping could easily destroy some costumes.
Open mouth  X(), insert bacon ~~~, yum X)

uzutake

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"One more thing not yet mentioned is that some people's costumes are fragil, and one good glomping could easily destroy some costumes.

I guess that makes sense

Jyunishinsho

There is also the point where the person just doesn't want to be randomly hugged.
To demonstrate, how would you feel if someone hugged you out of nowhere, say, on the street or in a dark alley.
Uh...okay, not a good example.
Just saying; not all people would like to be given random affection. A lot of people don't, but you still need to respect the fact that some people aren't willing to accept hugs from random people.

Nina Star 9

okay, random question~

if someone wanted a hug and i wanted ot turn them down, how would i go about it? meh, i'm often too shy to say anything like "sorry, no, i dont want a hug", so~~

i would probably end up just kinda standing there with really wide eyes shaking my head "no" and then run off. >>

uzutake

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"okay, random question~

if someone wanted a hug and i wanted ot turn them down, how would i go about it? meh, i'm often too shy to say anything like "sorry, no, i dont want a hug", so~~

i would probably end up just kinda standing there with really wide eyes shaking my head "no" and then run off. >>

Just say what you said here "Any human contact will leave me freaked out for the rest of the day, so sorry, no"

But if you say that, you'll probably scare them off...

If you cosplay, you can say it's because of your costume, "My costume hurts/gets destroyed when someone hugs me so sorry"

And did you just so happen to cosplay as Sora from Kingdom Hearts this year? I'm just wondering...><UUU

Nina Star 9

i cant stand KH, so no. :P

i guess i coudl blame it on my costume, but that wont work with some of my costumes. >.<

thankfully no one has ever wanted a hug. :D

DayDreamerNessa

I am one of those who don't liked to be hugged/glomped at cons by people I don't know. If there my friends then yeah hugs are fine because most of the time I haven't seen them in a long time and am glad to see them, and hugs are totally fine.

I just don't see the point of hugging random people, you know? Unless there holding a sign stating it, i don't think people should ask random people, I know convention people tend to be more friendly, but that doesn't mean everyone wants there personal space invaded.

What I don't get, is why do guys come up to girls who have there bf right NEXT to them, and the guy proceeds to ask for a hug, that's TOTALLY out of line! =(
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Blue Impulse

This was my 3rd year at fanime, I usually get a few glomps by girls, which is cool I guess :P

But this year I was in an elevator running upstaries to get some water and this ANNOYING KID and his 3 friends glomped me in the elevator. I made some ..um.. threats and they quickly let go... So yes.. Don't glomp people without permission god damn it.
0001 Registered User at Fanime 06'

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"okay, random question~

if someone wanted a hug and i wanted ot turn them down, how would i go about it?
Simply say something along the lines of: "Sorry, but I wouldn't feel comfortable."
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR