Visual Novel Questions and Discussions

Started by Tsukai Mori, July 03, 2006, 06:09:35 PM

Tsukai Mori

Since the only Visual Novel I play (besites Planetarian, but I didn't get any choices) is Ever 17, I can't offer much advice outside of it and so... my questions will pertain to that. My apologies. Feel free to use this thread for any questions or discussions though of any visual novel. I'm bound to have some later.

After hearing about Ever 17 and its apparent relationship with my story, I went ahead and bought it. At first, it took me awhile to get into it. I wasn't really imperssed, but  I wasn't bashing it. That's always a good sign. As I progressed further into the story, I found myself engrossed in a unique experience...
However, for the sake of new players, please avoid any spoilers. If a spoiler is required, please put the text as white and put it as a "quote".

Now... for some questions...
How do you choose your main character? For some reason, I ended up choosing Kid without my knowledge. Luckily, I wanted Kid anyway.

How do you know what route you're on? Frankly, I'm getting a lot of You, but I was aiming for Tsugami. I guess it was because I found out the password and stuff and I usually paired up with her than Sara and Sora.

How do you avoid bad endings (in general? I mean, for any similar game, how do you avoid the bad endings?)

EDIT! It's official! I'm on You's route. I'm sure of it! I helped her with the machine, we talked about the third eye, I found out about the password and the paper and I followed her to the dolphin area and spoke my feelings. There's no way in hell I'm ditching You for Tsugami now. That would apathetic. Plus, You's not a bad person. I have no qualms about this.

Tsubasa

1. Your route is determined in the beginning when you're asked "where are my friends?" or "who am I?."  The former leads you down Takeshi's path, while the latter, Shounen's.

2. You can kinda figure out which path you're on through elimination.  Sora and Tsugumi's paths are only available if you're Takeshi.  Yuu and Sara if you're Shounen.  From there, you just figure out which of the two you're seeing more of.

3. I don't know how exactly to avoid bad endings in Ever17.  I do what I think is right sometimes and I get bad endings.  It's kinda discouraging.  Just go with what you feel would be right and hope for the best. XD;

It's hard to say how to avoid bad endings in general.  Some games it's ridicuously easy.  Others, it's really stupid hard.  An example of the latter would be Crowd games. ^^;

On the subject of Ever17, I just want to say that Sara and Tsugumi are my favorites. =P
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Tsukai Mori

Yes, Yes, YES!

I GOT YOU'S GOOD ENDING! EVERYONE SURVIVED! YES, YES! No one DIES!
I'm...so happy! I didn't want anyone to die, and I also got a very good explanation about the Third eye. This was a ver beneficial route. Thank you, You!

1) If anyone has any questions on You's good route, just ask.
By the way, here's a clue, sugar.

I wonder if I did save everyone...hmm... I got a good ending so no one died...? I'll figure it out.

mDuo13

The first time through, I tried to get Tsugumi's good ending, and failed. It sort of flip-flopped between Sora and Tsugumi, and I ended with the "Sora-Tsugumi Bad End". =( Note: Why did I feel like this was kind of a fitting and/or moving ending?

The second time, through, I made a few wiser choices, including some quicksaves when I had to choose between Clockwise and Counterclockwise. I ended up very much on Tsugumi's path but got the same bad end. Damnit.

I think I'm going to try one more time to get Tsugumi's good ending, and them I'm going to replay the game from Kid's perspective.

Tsubasa

That's the spirit, m'boy.  Like I said above, sometimes I make choices that seem right and I still get bad endings. ; ;  Just keep at it and you'll get somewhere.

Quote from: "mDuo13"It sort of flip-flopped between Sora and Tsugumi, and I ended with the "Sora-Tsugumi Bad End". =(
To quote the Oyasumi version of NHK ni Youkoso: "he who hunts two hares loses both." =P
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR