How popular do you like your cosplay's anime?

Started by hosoi-koe, July 08, 2006, 11:26:13 PM

How popular do you want your cosplay?

I want it to be really well-known, so I'll cosplay someone from the hottest anime, currently.
0 (0%)
I want my cosplays to be from really obscure anime and games, and have people that can recognize it think I'm uber.
5 (13.2%)
I want my cosplay to be recognizable, but not a total mainstream character that everyone's going to cosplay.
23 (60.5%)
I really don't care. Cosplay is cosplay.
10 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 08, 2006, 11:26:13 PM

hosoi-koe

Sometimes people complain about their cosplay's anime being too mainstream and don't want to wear them, anymore. Some people feel bad when their cosplay's anime isn't well-known enough and know who they're cosplaying as. What about you guys? ;D
~ Jun Watarase <3

Kiba

Well, that's difficult to say. I used to only pick more obscure characters from little know animes and manga, and I liked it because I knew I had a better chance of being the only one there in that costume. Even if I did choose a more popular series, I have this strange tendency of liking the background guys. xD

Though I've noticed lately I'm beginning to choose more popular characters. Though I don't think it's because I want to be noticed, just because those are my options currently.

Honestly, I kind of like doing more 'hidden' cosplayers better, simply because, like I said before...it just makes me feel all that more damn special. ;)
Not funny...:(

Nina Star 9

i dont do anime cosplay. anyway~

i do whatever i feel like. o-o and since i happen to like oddly obscure things (amano tsukiko, mostly~), then my cosplays tend to be oddly obscure and very few, if any, people recognize them. i dont care, though, as i really love th eoctumes and the woman that desgins them~

my only non-amano cosplay is sae kurosawa from fatal frame II, which is not a very well known game. (i saw a mio and mayu at the con, though. :O gasp! last year, there were no other fatal frame cosplayers, so a pair of fatal frame II cosplayers was a blessing!)

i dont know why i dont like the mainstream stuff. its not beucsae i want to seem cool or anything. i just dont like it. xD

scyper15

This is hard.. I guess yeah. My favorite cosplay is L. But like.. if Death Note gets too mainstream, and there's like 30 L's or something.. it's not really fun anymore. So I guess.. if not a lot of people cosplay as what I want, I'll do it. I just don't want to see like 30 of the same cosplay. X__X; -Flies away.-

hosoi-koe

Quote from: "scyper15"This is hard.. I guess yeah. My favorite cosplay is L. But like.. if Death Note gets too mainstream, and there's like 30 L's or something.. it's not really fun anymore. So I guess.. if not a lot of people cosplay as what I want, I'll do it. I just don't want to see like 30 of the same cosplay. X__X; -Flies away.-

I think your L cosplay is really adorable. :3

But if you have uneasy feelings about these types of things, but still wish to cosplay as the same character... make something original of it, but still have its trademark features. I don't know how that'd work for L, though-- his cosplay is simplistic.

I know! Uh... Go hire a Wammy to carry your hotel chair everywhere. XD; My WAHA~! cosplay... I'm going to have a speech-bubble that says "Waha". Think of some sort of prop? HEY. What ever happened to that tea-cup set I bought you? You could always carry around a monkey plushie as the GoDevilDante flash reference.
~ Jun Watarase <3

hellangel

hm...well, I tend to do whatever cosplay I feel like doing, but yeah, the whole mainstream thing does become an issue after a while. So I always try to do a lesser-done version, or one that is slightly altered or memorable in some way.

for instance: i wear vinyl pants instead of slacks for my ryuichi cosplay.

somehow I always end up cosplaying something obscure that few people recognize, but that makes it all the better when I *do* get recognized ^__^
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

zoupzuop2

I cosplay who I like. And I like Ranma Saotome. I didn't see a lot of Ranmas running around at Fanime, or even many other characters from the series, for that matter (I DID see a Genma with a Yaoi paddle... it's an odd thing, seeing your character's father holding that. :shock: ). I might cosplay as a character from BECK, seeing as I've not been into too many animes in my span of life. Just the one or two do me well enough.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

uzutake

It doesnt really matter I guess. If you cosplay someone from an anime that is uber famous, then hey, you have a bunch of fans who can talk to you, compliment you on your costume, and glomp you(I'm a person who likes glomps so yeah >.>)

But if it's not as famous, then people can compliment your costume only despite the anime. Also, you'll be the only one there in that costume! :D Which is a pretty cool feeling(I heard >3<U)

scyper15

Quote from: "hosoi-koe"
Quote from: "scyper15"This is hard.. I guess yeah. My favorite cosplay is L. But like.. if Death Note gets too mainstream, and there's like 30 L's or something.. it's not really fun anymore. So I guess.. if not a lot of people cosplay as what I want, I'll do it. I just don't want to see like 30 of the same cosplay. X__X; -Flies away.-

I think your L cosplay is really adorable. :3

But if you have uneasy feelings about these types of things, but still wish to cosplay as the same character... make something original of it, but still have its trademark features. I don't know how that'd work for L, though-- his cosplay is simplistic.

I know! Uh... Go hire a Wammy to carry your hotel chair everywhere. XD; My WAHA~! cosplay... I'm going to have a speech-bubble that says "Waha". Think of some sort of prop? HEY. What ever happened to that tea-cup set I bought you? You could always carry around a monkey plushie as the GoDevilDante flash reference.

Uhh thanks for the compliment! But I don't think you ever bought me a tea-cup set...nor do I know you. XD!

hosoi-koe

Quote from: "scyper15"Uhh thanks for the compliment! But I don't think you ever bought me a tea-cup set...nor do I know you. XD!

Saa... Is that so? Let us get to know eachother, then... ^_^
~ Jun Watarase <3

KimaLucifer

I vote for answer C.

I cosplay what I want to which tends to be someting not so generic but is so minor nobody tends to know about it. It`s not That obscure I think.
I just want SOME people to know the cosplay so that I don`t look that strange to people.

I`ve done a Gegege no Kitarou cosplay. This is an OLLLLD Japanese comic about spirits.
I`ve done a L cosplay before anyone in the States KNEW deathnote.
I`ve done a Togainu No Chi cosplay. This is only popula to the hardcore Yaoi fans.
I`ve done a Pop`n cosplay. MUSIC NERDS UNITED once because of it.

I just don`t do mainstream THAT much.
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Sucrose

I'm not really fussed on the popularity issue, though I do prefer to do characters that haven't been done to death, yanno...but I think the important thing is to do a good job of the costume and really put as much into it as you can. I know that at cons I'll take pictures of a person when I don't know exactly who their character is or what series they're from, if I'm really impressed with the construction of their costume and can tell that they're doing SOMEBODY. As long as it's recognizable as a well-done, suitable costume, I think people will appreciate it for what it is.
In mammals, Sucrose is digested in the stomach, into its component sugars, by acidic hydrolysis. The Glucose and Fructose are then absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine. (Lactose just isn't cool enough to enter into it.)

Kazuko

XD oh my

I dont cosplay anime that is mainstream :3

I did LOVE IS DEAD Aya BEFORE anyonelse :3 and i only got recognized 3 times yo~ this year it was the same deal XD i guess the love is dead video isnt so popular. oh well <3

:3 its awesome to do like unknown animes or really OLD ones cause well it brings more fun and makes ya feel super special when like one or two people recognize you.

=3 plus its better to follow the beat of you own drum than be in a sea of narutards or something like that X3

BunofGovt

I cosplay the characters I like.  Two of my cosplay (including my first cosplay) were from popular anime and I expected people to recognize me, but I was totally delighted at AX when my Pretear (Shin) outfit was not only recognized, but by a cosplayer who had a Pretear cosplay herself (we did a mini-Pretear photoshoot later -  :D my fav pic).  But I've also done less well known cosplay as a background character just because I want to portray someone not as well known from a particular anime.  After sweating it out at AX, I'm re-thinking my cosplay to make sure I'm as comfortable as possible.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

destranacion

i cosplayed as jesus at this years fanime
pika ball player!

official jesus of fanime con!

Sora

All I want to make sure is that people can know I'm in cosplay and that they recognize my character.
"Don't give me any orders."

hellangel

Quote from: "destranacion"i cosplayed as jesus at this years fanime

haha, really? XD
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "destranacion"i cosplayed as jesus at this years fanime

actually, that's awesome. xD <3

ININ

Cosplay is cosplay ^__^  Cosplayers are part of the anime convention and give the feeling to all congers we are attending an anime con.  Cosplayers are walking decorations.  And cosplaying is one way to meet new people XD

I take cosplay pics if I recognize them or not as long as the cosplayer made effort to create a good cosplay =)

ranma12

i like o dress up who ever i want ohh yeah!  but it is nice when alot of people notice ur suit
^_^ and being Ranma and ed these years i get glomped alot 2 and i love it ^_- 8)