Fanime Staff on a Power Trip?

Started by Rufus Shinra, July 30, 2006, 06:21:19 PM

Kegan_Flame

Quote from: "Tony"I don't think we could ever allow it, even if it's supervised. Maybe especially if it's supervised.

Maybe out by the fountains? That might be out of Fanime's domain.

that's actually a good idea.. o.0 lol

astroboy

Quote from: "Shinsengumi"...
I think it is him, cause yeah I had my two bokkens approved by con ops and this guy just been rude to me even if I told him that I use them for posing but still he strapped them to my belt.
WHAT???

Since when is strapping a prop to a person's belt considered standard practice?

Contrary to popular belief, staffers actually rarely go on "power trips". A lapse in judgement is much more common.  I should know. :wink:

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "astroboy"
Quote from: "Shinsengumi"...
I think it is him, cause yeah I had my two bokkens approved by con ops and this guy just been rude to me even if I told him that I use them for posing but still he strapped them to my belt.
WHAT???

Since when is strapping a prop to a person's belt considered standard practice? There's an obvious inconsistency here. This can only be done to a person wearing a belt and also only with certain props.

There are few things that damages the credibility of a rule more then a lack of consistency. Personally I doubt such a rule existed. :wink:

If it is was me I'd firmly but politely say:
"I disagree with you. Lets both go to con ops NOW and get this situation resolved. I'll accept whatever decision management makes."
yeah the classic - I want to talk to your manager routine

BTW if the people at the top of the food chain...(errr chain of command) rules against you.....you're out of luck. If the security staff rejects your request to talk to management then just be a good sport and yield.

I heard a similar strap to the belt story: (you'll love this)

The cosplayer in question was a staffer
Want to guess what dept. this staffer worked for?
---- The cosplay/masquerade department!
Want to guess what position this staffer was?
---- One of the masquerade judges!

Anyways the masquerade judge didn't want to make a big deal so he decided to return his prop to his room.

Contrary to popular belief, staffers actually rarely go on "power trips". A lapse in judgement is much more common.  I should know. :wink:

I have a question about props, if it's not too much trouble? As Rufus, I have a pistol that doesn't really look like one (I've tried to make it look as much like the one on Advent Children as I could) but maybe from a distance it might? I don't know. Anyway, how does staff decide whether to keep gun type weapons in the holster or allow them outside? Does ANY handheld weapon get the same treatment? I wasn't sure when I read the description for Fanime 2006???

astroboy

Quote from: "Rufus Shinra"...
Anyway, how does staff decide whether to keep gun type weapons in the holster or allow them outside?
*disclaimer - I am NOT qualified to give official announcements*

http://www.fanime.com/2006/cosplay/weapons_policy.html

snippet
QuoteCarrying a weapon
All weapon pieces that are carried, either in hand or on/in a costume must be approved by appropriate convention personnel. Anything that looks like a real firearm or could hurt someone by accident (dulled metal swords, etc) can not be hand carried or slung over the shoulder. It must be able to be put into a holster or scabbard and peace bonded there.

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Rufus Shinra"...
Anyway, how does staff decide whether to keep gun type weapons in the holster or allow them outside?
*disclaimer - I am NOT qualified to give official announcements*

http://www.fanime.com/2006/cosplay/weapons_policy.html

snippet
QuoteCarrying a weapon
All weapon pieces that are carried, either in hand or on/in a costume must be approved by appropriate convention personnel. Anything that looks like a real firearm or could hurt someone by accident (dulled metal swords, etc) can not be hand carried or slung over the shoulder. It must be able to be put into a holster or scabbard and peace bonded there.

Yeah. Read that. Thanks for the reminder though. Guess the best way to find out is take my weapon next year and ask, huh? But it really is hard to go through all the trouble to make it look as authentic as possible only to find out you can't even take it out of the holster.TT_TT

Ayanami Rei First Child

Okay one problem I have is that there were times staff would tell us not to do stuff without telling us any reason, or be overly harsh. Although I've already complained to other staff about the ones that were assholes. It always seems like there's at least one or two asshole staff members.

I DO want to praise my friend Moogle-chan, I never heard any complaints about him and he was always nice.

I think the problem with staff is they forget...anime cons are NOT like sci-fi cons and other stuff. We're a crazier and stranger bunch. Not to mention it is US that they serve, not the hierchy of Fanime....but the congoers. WE should OWN them in a way really, because without us they are nothing. We can have cons without them, but they can't have their precious little jobs without us.

astroboy

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"....
I think the problem with staff is they forget...anime cons are NOT like sci-fi cons and other stuff. We're a crazier and stranger bunch.
hmm some people may disagree. I heard that the SWAT team was called into BayCon once. I'm not sure if that was true but it sure makes for good story telling.  :D

Besides sci fi cons have Klingons! How can anything be more rowdy then a bunch of Klingons.  :wink:

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"....
I think the problem with staff is they forget...anime cons are NOT like sci-fi cons and other stuff. We're a crazier and stranger bunch.
hmm some people may disagree. I heard that the SWAT team was called into BayCon once. I'm not sure if that was true but it sure makes for good story telling.  :D

Besides sci fi cons have Klingons! How can anything be more rowdy then a bunch of Klingons.  :wink:

Yow! Did the Klingons start a fight? You know how they are, all fight and no fun.  :)  But I do believe the anime fans are more varied and therefore WAY stranger! That's why I love anime. There's so many different characters to dress up as while the Trekkies only have a few. But I digress. I think we need to treat the staff with courtesy and I think they need to do the same for us.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I treated the staff with more courtesy then they would treat me a lot of times >.< I do my best to be nice to the staff and not bug them.

Eri

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"It always seems like there's at least one or two asshole staff members.

True. Senior staff can't really tell who's one or not until con, when their staffers are put under pressure. If there are complaints about the particular person, they are more likely not to come back.

Though, since we are an all volunteer staff, there are some things we can not ask of staff. But, I do believe basic customer service should be one that all of our staff know how to do and put into practice at the con.

If it bothers you enough, why not join staff and really show the a-holes how it's done?

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"I DO want to praise my friend Moogle-chan, I never heard any complaints about him and he was always nice.

The rule, I hope, and the a-holes the exception.

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"anime cons are NOT like sci-fi cons and other stuff. We're a crazier and stranger bunch.

True, but I believe not because we're any crazier or stranger. The normal structure of a sci fi con is a bidded con (think World Con), where almost all anime cons are staffed year in and year out by the same people or are in a lineage with the original founders (Fanime's founders are still with us, in spirit). The structure influences the convention to a great deal.

Also, consider this: the average sci fi con-goer is at least 20-30 years older than the average anime con goer (think 35+ and 13-23). Different generation, different wants, needs, and expectations.

Maybe we are crazy and strange for our generation, but I also think that sci fi people are crazy/strange too for their own. It's more a question of relativity.

I'll give this to sci fi cons: they have elevator parties. We don't. I think that's crazy and strange.

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Not to mention it is US that they serve, not the hierchy of Fanime....but the congoers. WE should OWN them in a way really, because without us they are nothing. We can have cons without them, but they can't have their precious little jobs without us.

I wish all anime cons would realize that; if they did, we'd have more cons like Fanime. Some senior staff have related working for Fanime as "coming home" in a strange way. A lot of us have worked for different conventions (and still do), but when we started working for Fanime, we kept coming back like a moth drawn to a flame.

One of our higher ups said that one of the most amazing things about Fanime is that we are one of the largest fan run conventions in the world. By fan run, I mean the entire staff from the vols to the Con Chair to the board on ARG. It is an amazing thing when people who have a full time job, hobbies, obligations, school or whatever can come together and pull this off.

To tie it all in, yes, we will have some bad apples, but what apple tree doesn't? What matters is that we are all apart of Fanime for the ride, fans and staff alike. When you take away titles, you just have a bunch of people who get together because they like (or love) anime.

And, isn't that what our byline or motto means: "By Fans, For Fans"?
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

Ayanami Rei First Child

I've thought about becoming a staff type member, but I dunno if I'd enjoy it. I THOUGHT I'd enjoy working there, but that bombed out. I missed the freedom I had at the first con.

Well there weren't too many bad ones, and some were a lot nicer then others. Seriously though....one thing you guys should remind staff is to tell people WHY they're doing things. That simple thing can help out a lot, and make them look less like an athoritarian, and more like someone who's just doing their job.

I didn't know that all of your staff is volunteer, that's interesting. Although I can see how it'd be a lot harder to make the perfect staff team ^^;

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"I've thought about becoming a staff type member, but I dunno if I'd enjoy it. I THOUGHT I'd enjoy working there, but that bombed out. I missed the freedom I had at the first con.

Well there weren't too many bad ones, and some were a lot nicer then others. Seriously though....one thing you guys should remind staff is to tell people WHY they're doing things. That simple thing can help out a lot, and make them look less like an athoritarian, and more like someone who's just doing their job.

I didn't know that all of your staff is volunteer, that's interesting. Although I can see how it'd be a lot harder to make the perfect staff team ^^;

Here! here!! I absolutely agree about staff explaining why they're doing things. I have to admit as a con-goer I get so caught up in the moment that I forget the rules and need to be reminded. If done courteously, it's not a problem. If done with an authoritarian attitude, it can make things very unpleasant.

Also, since I haven't said it before, three cheers for the hard working volunteer staff! I can't thank you guys enough for taking on a job even I would think twice about. I hope there are some perks for doing it. Maybe we con-goers could put on a party for the staffers? Probably a silly idea but I'd kinda like to see something like that happen, you know?

Ayanami Rei First Child

Yeah explaining why is important. Like on Saturday me and friends were standing on chairs to get people's attention for us getting them free hugs. On Sunday however....staff people were like "Dude you totally can't be doing that!" No one explained to us that those chairs have been known to collapse suddenly >.< They were just like "Follow what we say because we are staff!"

Or an even better idea....throw parties for returning staff people who have like 0-1 complaints or something. I dunno. I mean I don't think it's fair that someone who gets high complaints gets the same privledges as someone with a spotless record...

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Yeah explaining why is important. Like on Saturday me and friends were standing on chairs to get people's attention for us getting them free hugs. On Sunday however....staff people were like "Dude you totally can't be doing that!" No one explained to us that those chairs have been known to collapse suddenly >.< They were just like "Follow what we say because we are staff!"

Or an even better idea....throw parties for returning staff people who have like 0-1 complaints or something. I dunno. I mean I don't think it's fair that someone who gets high complaints gets the same privledges as someone with a spotless record...

Good point!

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well obviously they were good points...I made them didn't I? :twisted:

Pimpstress Rei

Hrm. A bit late, but I wanted to add my 2 cents anyway.

I know that in a perfect world, everyone would get an explanation for every rule that's put into place. But it's not and sometimes there isn't time or the staffer doesn't have the patience to restate for the nth time why member should not do such and such. It's also exceedingly difficult to enforce rules and put up with backtalk from some of the attendees. We're trying to have the con run smoothly, and quite frankly that means that we have to be a-holes to get some things into people's heads.

We try our best and we are all utilizing our resources to put on a con for the attendees. So please try to bear with us. I know that I am ever grateful from the understanding members whenever the schedules were late last year (I'm working on things so the schedules will be out on time and will be more legible next year). Thank you again to those people who really want to help the con by offering constructive criticism.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

XpHoBiaX

There should be a 'safe place' to show off our weapons for posing. Flyers and banners should be up in the area as well, to let people know that there will be cosplayers with 'weapons' in the vicinity.

But still its a bit risky, becuase there is always one dumbass that will do something incredibly STUPID and the whole thing will be over. I say no to letting people pose with their weapons inside the convention grounds. The weapon should be secured safely and properly. It's for the safety of you and other people. You must understand that.

Though, posing with weapons a fair and considerable distance away from the traffic flow of con goers is fine with me. As I stated above, as long as there are makers/flyers and what not. People need to be told of these things, and staff has to actively communicate where the designated area is. Possibly have a few staff members watching over the area so someone doesn't walk into a katana or huge tessen or cross or something.
Maybe only a few groups can pose at a time?

Course, now we are getting into organization and scheduling. So I'll just drop the hat here and if any of you want me to keep going, lemme know.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Although the problem with that is just like those "Designated areas where con members can get their ties cut and pose next to staff to get pics. A staff member will then repeace bond" or whatever. What ended up happening with that? NOTHING. It's nice to TALK about this and Fanime may even say that they will, but things don't always go so well, ESPECIALLY during the first year.

XpHoBiaX

Then maybe I should volunteer to be apart of the staff and "show how it's done." lol I really do have enough experience to work with people and be strict, yet still be very fun to be around.

Though, this does sound like an issue the staff should discuss and work with. (along with PR skills) I would love to be apart of the staff and handle some of these issues, becuase this seems to be a reaccurring debate every year. Unfortunately, I don't live near Sanjose anymore. I won't be back in the Bay until springtime...and i'll be in college.

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "XpHoBiaX"Though, this does sound like an issue the staff should discuss and work with. (along with PR skills) I would love to be apart of the staff and handle some of these issues, becuase this seems to be a reaccurring debate every year. Unfortunately, I don't live near Sanjose anymore. I won't be back in the Bay until springtime...and i'll be in college.

Go right ahead. Many of us staffers are high school/college students. It's really about time management and the amount of energy you're willing to dedicate to Fanime.

Actually, all of the department heads are either college students or work full-time. So if we can do it, you can do it too!
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O