Fanime Staff on a Power Trip?

Started by Rufus Shinra, July 30, 2006, 06:21:19 PM

Rufus Shinra

Is it just me, or did anybody else run into a Fanime Staff member who was on a power trip? I don't like to complain because everybody else was so helpful and seemed to truly love being at the Fanime. But this one guy was so rude that I almost yelled at him, which I never do! He was like a Nazi asking for papers or something. I really hope he doesn't volunteer for Fanime 2007!

Absolute0

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Absolute0"What department was he in?

Don't know. He yelled at me when I took a picture of him so I stayed away from him. Here's the picture though. He's standing in front of the girl in yellow and black, probably grilling her on whether she checked in correctly or something.

Absolute0

Hmm.. Don't recognize him...

But, I hope you realize that we're not all like that...and these people work very hard w/out lots of rest, etc. Which can make them a bit (PFFT, more like  PMSing) cranky. Of course, that's no excuse to take it out on congoers.

Green_Tea

Ha, I know what you mean! This guy yelled at someone in line on Thursday while standing in line to get badges. It was for taking a picture of him too, which I thought was kind of dumb because it looked like he was in costume for something.  Maybe he just doesn't like people taking pictures of him and he wouldn't be so rude if people would just ask.
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Absolute0"Hmm.. Don't recognize him...

But, I hope you realize that we're not all like that...and these people work very hard w/out lots of rest, etc. Which can make them a bit (PFFT, more like  PMSing) cranky. Of course, that's no excuse to take it out on congoers.

Yes, as I said most of the other staff members I met were real nice and helpful. I'm sorry if it sounded otherwise.

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Green_Tea"Ha, I know what you mean! This guy yelled at someone in line on Thursday while standing in line to get badges. It was for taking a picture of him too, which I thought was kind of dumb because it looked like he was in costume for something.  Maybe he just doesn't like people taking pictures of him and he wouldn't be so rude if people would just ask.

Maybe you're right about the pictures. I didn't ask and I usually do, so I could forgive him for that. But giving my friend the once over didn't make me too happy and I saw him doing it to another person. Not the one in the picture though. As for the rest of the staff I met, they were really nice. ^-^  I'm not complaining about everybody you know!

Shi_Musouka

I think I've seen that guy before, but I didn't see him doing anything so I can't say anything, though I've seen some negative things about him from a feedback thread after the con.

However I do hope that it doesn't destroy your image of the whole Fanime Staff crew. Let me tell you that if it ever happens again, just take the badge number of that staffer and turn it in to ConOps. The staff and volunteers exist to make the attendees' visit here more pleasant and safe.

Barnes

Quote from: "Green_Tea"Ha, I know what you mean! This guy yelled at someone in line on Thursday while standing in line to get badges. It was for taking a picture of him too, which I thought was kind of dumb because it looked like he was in costume for something.  Maybe he just doesn't like people taking pictures of him and he wouldn't be so rude if people would just ask.

Do you know what time specifically? I might have heard the yelling, but I don't remember.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

topnotch97

if you didn't ask permission to take a picture, then its natural to be pissed off.

it's your fault if you're gonna ask me.

imagine yourself, and another dude stalking you, and taking pictures without permission. who wouldn't be annoyed and pissed.

bottom line, whether it's staff, con-goer, guests, artists, and etc. be polite enough to ask them. and they'll return the favor of posing for you.  :mrgreen:
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

Tony

I know him. ^_^

He happens to be one of the strictest staff members around, but I've never known him to get upset about something without merit. He's actually a really nice guy and renowned by staff for his massage skills!

Unfortunately, you really should have asked him before taking a snapshot...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "Tony"I know him. ^_^

He happens to be one of the strictest staff members around, but I've never known him to get upset about something without merit. He's actually a really nice guy and renowned by staff for his massage skills!

That is why his "name" is Chaos/Khaos :P

Well not his real name but yeah.. this probally wont be the last time somebody complains about him -_-;;;.

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Tony"I know him. ^_^

Thanks. He really cut a handsome figure and I guess I should have asked first before taking his picture. My bad. ~`~  Anyway, didn't want to get anybody upset about this, just needed to unload and hear from others. It helps to know what's going on, you know?

Glitch

I think I recognize him.He might be the same guy who my friend has had problems with.He had his weapon approved by con ops,then this guy nags at him that the sword should be fastened to his belt.Instead of explaining to my friend why this confusion happened,this staff member just goes on a speech about how he wrote the rules and how he enforces them.Ego trip indeed.

Shinsengumi

Quote from: "Glitch"I think I recognize him.He might be the same guy who my friend has had problems with.He had his weapon approved by con ops,then this guy nags at him that the sword should be fastened to his belt.Instead of explaining to my friend why this confusion happened,this staff member just goes on a speech about how he wrote the rules and how he enforces them.Ego trip indeed.

I think it is him, cause yeah I had my two bokkens approved by con ops and this guy just been rude to me even if I told him that I use them for posing but still he strapped them to my belt. I was pissed that day. Who is this guy? hopefully he doesn't show up again next year.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "Shinsengumi"
Quote from: "Glitch"I think I recognize him.He might be the same guy who my friend has had problems with.He had his weapon approved by con ops,then this guy nags at him that the sword should be fastened to his belt.Instead of explaining to my friend why this confusion happened,this staff member just goes on a speech about how he wrote the rules and how he enforces them.Ego trip indeed.

I think it is him, cause yeah I had my two bokkens approved by con ops and this guy just been rude to me even if I told him that I use them for posing but still he strapped them to my belt. I was pissed that day. Who is this guy? hopefully he doesn't show up again next year.

I hear you! I just wish that there was a place we could pull out our weapons (which we worked SOOO hard on!) and pose for pictures without getting in trouble by staff!! Waaah! Where's the fun in wearing our cool weapons strapped down where no one can see them? We might as well stop cosplaying! Isn't there something we can do about that? Anybody got any ideas???

Shinsengumi

Quote from: "Rufus Shinra"

I hear you! I just wish that there was a place we could pull out our weapons (which we worked SOOO hard on!) and pose for pictures without getting in trouble by staff!! Waaah! Where's the fun in wearing our cool weapons strapped down where no one can see them? We might as well stop cosplaying! Isn't there something we can do about that? Anybody got any ideas???

What we need to do is show them how we pose with our weapons and to prove them that we don't do dumb things with it. And plus when I was cosplaying I ran into stuff members and they all checked my bokkens and they say ok as long as they see the tag around your weapons your ok but yeah that fool was just been rude even if I have them tag and approved by con ops.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Ska_Kitti

Everyone has to remember that it's all a matter of safety. Chaos is known for making CERTAIN that whatever is tagged in the right place stays there even if other staff members say it may be alright in their opinion. Chaos has also worked many other conventions before as well as Fanime, so be aware that he may be picky about how a weapon may be tagged. He knows safety very well, so that's why the Fanime staff entrusted him with writing the rules.

As much as you want to retaliate against the staff in general, it's not worth your time. All of the staff including myself has to ensure that even though your weapon may look secure or tagged, that it isn't a farce no matter how much one may say, "Well the other staff it says it's ok!". If you have a problem with a certain staff member, get their name from their badge, go to Con Ops and let them know what is up.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Kegan_Flame

Quote from: "Rufus Shinra"

I think that's a great idea! What if there was a designated space or something where we could have wepons out for posing and stuff, as long as no one got roudy.. then people would know to be careful around that area.. and if anyone was abusing it or doing something dangerous they could just get kicked out of the place or something? or not be allowed to carry the wepon?

Tony

I don't think we could ever allow it, even if it's supervised. Maybe especially if it's supervised. It all boils down to our liability, and that risks our insurance, and without insurance, Fanime doesn't happen...

Maybe out by the fountains? That might be out of Fanime's domain. I dunno.

But, if you're out of Fanime's hands, your safety is in your own hands...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014