Fanime Staff on a Power Trip?

Started by Rufus Shinra, July 30, 2006, 06:21:19 PM

1Fireforge

QuoteBut the fact of the matter is, this is NOT business run. So they do not have to follow and conduct rules, or anything like that because it is not a professional business.

So, just because it's not a "business" gives them the right to be a [select your expletive]?  Is this mindset typical of staff members?  Rei is sounding more and more right all the time.

You actually seem to be ambivalent about the whole situation, where you endorse the idea of being civil at first, but then add a disclaimer by telling us to expect harsh treatment every time a rule is broken.

All I'm advocating is that if someone is breaking the rules, you can at least be courteous but firm at first in asking them to cut it out.  Most people will listen, especially if your delivery is convincing (at least, that's been my experience).  For those children that don't, you can either try to yell to get results (and end up acting like a child yourself) or call another supervisor to help you out.  

- FF

P.S.  You're clearly unwilling to accept any other point of view, so I'm disinclined to continue this conversation any further.

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Long

Some staffers are polite in asking someone to stop doing something. Some staffers get uptight and mean. It all depends on the person. You just have to get the knack of picking out which is which. This goes for the individuality in con-members as well. Some con-goers will listen when you ask them to stop misbehaving, others won't, so you just get the supervisor.

You can't ask every single staff member on a team to conform to a certain kind of personality. It just won't happen.

Anyways, I was usually too sleepy to yell at anyone for misbehaving, rather than getting irritable from lack of sleep. ;P

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "Long"Some staffers are polite in asking someone to stop doing something. Some staffers get uptight and mean. It all depends on the person. You just have to get the knack of picking out which is which. This goes for the individuality in con-members as well. Some con-goers will listen when you ask them to stop misbehaving, others won't, so you just get the supervisor.

You can't ask every single staff member on a team to conform to a certain kind of personality. It just won't happen.

Anyways, I was usually too sleepy to yell at anyone for misbehaving, rather than getting irritable from lack of sleep. ;P
I AGREE!
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Ayanami Rei First Child

You know there was someone you remind me of....someone who gave out harsh punishments in his land, making the smallest crimes have the same punishment as something worse like murder. He was called Vlad The Impaler. I hope you enjoy being like one of the most infamous mass murders in all of history...

Dagger-6

He's not saying that the smallest crime has to have the harshest punishment.

He's saying that while yes, it's good for staff members to be polite, it is a stressful job and sometimes that will show.  If a staff member does end up yelling at you for doing something wrong and is not completely happiness, smiles, and sunshine about it, just remember you were doing something wrong that needed to be corrected and just correct it.  Don't be worried about QQing over how your feelings got hurt, first consider what you were doing to get yelled at in the first place.

Not this 'Vlad the Impaler' tripe.

Long

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"You know there was someone you remind me of....someone who gave out harsh punishments in his land, making the smallest crimes have the same punishment as something worse like murder. He was called Vlad The Impaler. I hope you enjoy being like one of the most infamous mass murders in all of history...
If you were referring to me... I LOVE you. I'm so quoting this and placing it in my signature. x3

Anyway, you guys are entirely missing my point. What I mean is that staff members are people too. When you deal with real people things aren't ever going to go as smoothly as you'd like them to, especially since personalities vary from person to person. Just avoid the mean staffers, and hang around the nicer ones. =/

SohmaYuki

Quote from: "1Fireforge"So, just because it's not a "business" gives them the right to be a [select your expletive]?  Is this mindset typical of staff members?  Rei is sounding more and more right all the time.

You actually seem to be ambivalent about the whole situation, where you endorse the idea of being civil at first, but then add a disclaimer by telling us to expect harsh treatment every time a rule is broken.

All I'm advocating is that if someone is breaking the rules, you can at least be courteous but firm at first in asking them to cut it out.  Most people will listen, especially if your delivery is convincing (at least, that's been my experience).  For those children that don't, you can either try to yell to get results (and end up acting like a child yourself) or call another supervisor to help you out.  

P.S.  You're clearly unwilling to accept any other point of view, so I'm disinclined to continue this conversation any further.

Oh please, you expect me to accept your view point when you can't even read my posts correctly. I even line itemed it out for the other guy, and you STILL DIDN'T UNDERSTAND.

I shall do it again...

MOST STAFFER WILL BE POLITE AND NICE AND ASK YOU RESPECTFULLY TO STOP...

BUT... NOT ALL STAFFERS WILL.

What part of this do you not understand? What part of most staffers will be polite and nice and all that stuff? What part of some staffers will be having a shitastic day where con'goers constantly disregard what they say, or they think that something dangerour or major may take place and believe they should not be nice because they need the go'er to stop whatever it is due to various reasons?

There are plenty of reasons for a staff member to get piss... You act like them being pissed=you getting kicked out, or you being banned, or you getting into major trouble. Can you not handle being yelled at? How is this in anyway like vlad? That's just f*cking stupid. When did I say that you should be kicked out or banned or anything close to that if you do something bad? I merely said, don't be surprised if a pissed off staff member, yells at you for doing something that potentially pissed them off.

Seriously, if you think getting yelled at is bad and such a huge major thing... ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE IN THE WRONG... I bet you're a spoiled brat that whose parents have done a poor job raising you.

Ari

I got kinda mad at a staff member last year, he was set in front of the arcade room. The first day we were there we were playing drum mania with drumsticks, which i thought were the convention's (I'd never played before so i didnt know that they were supposed to be attached or anything.) The second day i come back and figure i'd give it another try and come to find out the drumsticks are gone. Well... ok maybe the guy at the door knows or maybe they have a pair or something that never got set out. So i go over there and ask. "Excuse me, you know there arent any drumstick for drum mania right?" And he said. "Well then you should've brought your own then huh?"

Umm well how was i supposed to know something like that. Maybe if i had known i would've brought my own. It was just kind of upsetting. :\

SheaShea

Last year these two girls kept walking around back and forth, and telling me and my friends that we couldnt sit in certain places.  It was really late, we were tired, and they kept bugging us.  

But they didnt bug other people who sat in the same place after we got up.
2007 - I was Princess Ashe from FF XII
Official Pikaball Player
Join us in 09?