Ever felt embarrassed about watching/reading anime/manga?

Started by Darryl Mendoza, August 03, 2006, 09:12:00 PM

Darryl Mendoza

I hope no one posted this yet.

Have any of you ever felt embarrassed about watching anime or reading manga in front of a bunch of other people? I sometimes feel that way but normally, I don't. I just don't like it when people make fun of some of the animes or mangas I watch and read. But I like to show them some of the stupid crap (a term I use for comedy which I love) like the special .hack episode that came with the fourth game. But as someone said during the year of 2005's Fanime,"it takes a real man to watch a girl's anime!" Thats just what I do!! CardCaptor Sakura was awesome! And Sailor Moon, intended more towards the female, was one of the reasons I stuck to anime! So I really don't get embarrassed much when people point out how akward or "wierd" an anime was or is.
Extra Fresh League
MvC2: Team Matrix, Team Santhrax
Guilty Gear Accent Core- Slayer, Bridget
Street Figther 3rd Strike- Makoto, Dudley, Akuma

uzutake

I sometimes get embarassed of reading Yuu Watase's work because it's so shoujo(girly) and I'm afraid people'll think that way of me which isnt exactly true.

I'm fine with reading/wartching shounen stuff because over around my school, girls watch/read girly stuff and guys read/watch guy guy stuff. They never mingle(unless it's Naruto). And when I read/watch guy manga/anime, I'm treated special. ;P

Sucrose

I've got a few series that I feel a little self-conscious about reading/watching in front of other people, but that's mostly because I feel a little self-conscious (or more) when I'm around other people. ^_^;
In mammals, Sucrose is digested in the stomach, into its component sugars, by acidic hydrolysis. The Glucose and Fructose are then absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine. (Lactose just isn't cool enough to enter into it.)

Emerge

im not too fond of reading on the bus. too many stares, especially from a majority of the ghetto people

Kazuko

XD i dont mind it when i read Manga anywhere

but what really makes me laugh and sorta shy is when i read J-rock magazines at school basically it goes like this

Me: *flips to a random article*

Person man: wow shes really hot

Me: uhh...thats a guy

person: wtf are you serious is he a gay boy

Me:....*long explaination about j-rock here*

XD it makes me laugh sometimes oh ho ho ho silly people

uzutake

Quote from: "Kazuko"XD i dont mind it when i read Manga anywhere

but what really makes me laugh and sorta shy is when i read J-rock magazines at school basically it goes like this

Me: *flips to a random article*

Person man: wow shes really hot

Me: uhh...thats a guy

person: wtf are you serious is he a gay boy

Me:....*long explaination about j-rock here*

XD it makes me laugh sometimes oh ho ho ho silly people

Silly people these days...XDD

BunofGovt

I've started watching anime or reading manga on my commute to and from work.  I'm on a ferry boat so I get 25 minutes with a little table to myself most of the time  :D

But I hate if I get to a part where someone dies, or someone gets angsty and I start to blubber (well, teary-eyed at any rate). :oops:   That's embarrassing!

Oh, and I don't read my yaoi in front of my mom.   :wink:
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Nina Star 9

i'm a little embarassed by the few series i do like, as i do not really like anime/manga that much. o_o;;

i get REALLY embarassed if someone catches me reading remote.... if you have ever read it, you will know why. XD

i get kinda embaraseed reading paradise kiss, becuase its a shoujo manga, and i dont really like shoujo mangas... >>

i get embarassed from cowboy bebop becasue it was on cartoon network, and then everyone thinks i am some CN freak that refuses to watch anything other than naruto (no offense to naruto fans... xD)

and i get embarassed from kino no tabi because she has a freaking TALKING MOTORCYLCE! O_O;; it still scares me. >>

i also get kinda embarassed when someone sees the amano CDs i have an ask if its a guy... THAT'S a fun one. <3

~~Loktera~~

I have no shame.

(Actual Conversation @ School)

Me: *Reading a Scanlated Ebifly (えびふぃã,‰ã,,) manga (It's a hentai ^^), printed out in his binder*

Girl: Heya! What are you reading?

Me: Something from one of my favorite Comic Book writers... *Page flip*

Girl: So you like that anim---

Me: *Page flip to a sex scene* Yea. I do.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Jerry

back in the day, before anime became mainstream...

people didnt know how to pronouce it - anime

then there were those who kept insisting that it was cartoons... (GRRR!)

now its every where, and even my neices and nephews attempt to borrow stuff from 'my store' without leaving a note or telling me... - having them watch too much Naruto have somehow given them the ninja skills

only other time im worried or embarrassed that with the massive about of sexual themes for anime supposedly for 13+

my youngest neice (whos only about 3 and actually knows how to talk believe it or not ) asked me once

Niece : Uncle Jerry?

Jerry: Yes?

Niece : Why am I seeing a girl's butt!!!!

Jerry: Um, because she's taking a bath...

Niece : Your gross uncle Jerry!!!! (she hasn't learned the word ecchi or hentai yet, but just give it time... )

Jerry : Yes... yes I am.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Shi_Musouka

I usually don't care, since most people don't pay attention. Now the nude/sex scenes... I'd be rather embarrassed if someone noticed(I'm not really comfortable being open with that stuff around strangers).

Sunara Ishi

Feh. Why should I be? There's nothing wrong with what I watch/read.

And its not like I'm watching hentai, yaoi, yuri, etc etc. XP
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Darryl Mendoza

Quote from: "~~Loktera~~"I have no shame.

Me: *Reading a Scanlated Ebifly (えびふぃã,‰ã,,) manga (It's a hentai ^^), printed out in his binder*

I worship you now. You f***ing ROCK! no. RAWK!!!!!
Extra Fresh League
MvC2: Team Matrix, Team Santhrax
Guilty Gear Accent Core- Slayer, Bridget
Street Figther 3rd Strike- Makoto, Dudley, Akuma

zoupzuop2

My immediate family knows and accepts my anime hobby (they still get a touch uneasy about Ranma ½).
However, my immediate relatives (Closest Grandparents, cousins, etc.) have no idea of any cultural facets of Japan other than the stereotypes, and I rarely bring out anime or manga when they're around. If I tried to explain Ranma ½ to them, they'd pro'lly get weirded out (and Ranma's a fairly SIMPLE show compared to...!)
Then again, one time I DID have my CD alarm armed with a Eurobeat CD I made in there, and left my second alarm on by accident...

"FORGODSSAKETURNTHISCRAPOFF!!!"
Gnihihihihi. :twisted:

They'll find out soon enough. My closest cousin is the new guitar player for F!lter and thus will be seeing more of my personality and hobbies over time. He'll either have to accept it or reject it.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

saiko_koneko

i <3 you.....

this is why i <3 you

gawd i <3 you

zoupzuop2

This, my friend, just won you the internet.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

YoureMyHiro

What is this Embarassment/Shame you speak of? Hell nah, I dont feel anything except for anticipation of the Next Vol, Series or Release of whatever Anime/Manga/Toy im currently involved with, the only thing that is slightly bothersome is having to explain what Im involved in regarding Japanese pop culture to "Normies."

Shinsengumi

What's so embarrassing about it? it's part of your hobbies, too me hell no I don't feel embarrassed cause my father, my older brother, and my older sister got me into anime.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "Shinsengumi"What's so embarrassing about it? it's part of your hobbies, too me hell no I don't feel embarrassed cause my father, my older brother, and my older sister got me into anime.
Well, to an extent, that's my case as well. When I was little, we actually had quite a bit of anime around. Unico, Scamper the Penguin, Secret of the Seal, even The Last Unicorn. Heck, I even had Yan-Yan when I was little (close enough to pocky... okay? GEEZ. :P) .
The problem is having such a joy for cartoons when you're older is frowned upon. Think about society's image of "comic book geeks"... fat, lazy losers with no motivation other than to live out the fantasies they find in Comic books (not to mention dire attraction to the hero(ines?) found in them). While that's not always true, the image still stands.
Actually, now with the mainstream effect of Anime (no thanks to Cartoon Network...), the stereotype of the Anime fan is starting to take effect. While I don't fit that role, nor do I consider myself a conformist to society, there's always that tiny, little, mite of suspicion that I'm... perpetuating that.

That, and people find my taste in Anime/manga interesting.
"Oh my, what happened to that Pig-tailed boy?"
"Ah-heh-heh-heh..."

XeNo

Lawl I remember reading Yellow, a Yaoi manga in my Government class in High School. And random preppy girls were staring at the cover. They asked to see what I was reading.

*plops the book down to a scene where the guy is man handling the other guy naked*

They call me a freak and other random crap and I don't care.

Having a ton of pictures of Miyavi in my binder, girls thought that it was a girl, I tell them he's a guy and they say well he must be gay then.

So appearently a feminine pretty guy just has to be gay. Most Metrosexual guys are either Straight or Bi with a few percentage to be gay. I explain how Japan's society is with Feminine guys and they don't get it.

I usually don't really want to show people that I am interested in anime or Manga or such until I get to know them well because I don't want them thinking I'm some loser Otaku person. But in some circumstances I really end up just not caring overall and will gladly show my love for anime.