Make or Buy?

Started by uzutake, August 12, 2006, 10:50:38 AM

uzutake

Would you rather make your costume or buy it? Do you do both for one costume? Or just make some costumes and buy others?

And why?

pockystix

I would only buy a costume if I really want to cosplay that character for fun, and I know that I don't have the skill or patience to make it. I'm only an ameature at sewing, so I still have a lot of things to learn. I'm still at the level where factory made quality is better than mine. X;
New sn = Meirin

Sucrose

I think making's really the only fun way to go about it for me. I mean, admittedly, I will buy pieces if that means I don't have to make a yellow turtleneck when a very servicable one exists at the neighborhood Goodwill, but it's still a matter of hunting and deciding and altering for use. I feel proud when I learn something new about sewing (and since I'm new to it there's plenty for me to learn) and when something comes out looking good, there's just something special about knowing that I made this. It's all a learning experience, and when I take my finished product out and wear it to a con, it's just a wonderful feeling knowing that this was a product of my hard work (well, and sometimes my mom's). When you costruct your own costume, you have the chance to personalize it and really make it yours, and I just think that's something you don't get from buying a premade one. If I don't have the skill to make a costume yet, I'll try and fail and decide to wait until later, when I DO have the skill to make it. It does take a lot of time, patience, and tenacity, but it's amazing how much you can do when you don't know what you can't do. *laugh*

(Wow, ramble much? Hahaha.)
In mammals, Sucrose is digested in the stomach, into its component sugars, by acidic hydrolysis. The Glucose and Fructose are then absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine. (Lactose just isn't cool enough to enter into it.)

Devi 1313

I'm a perfectionist, if I can buy a really good accurate one I will. If there's something that I think I could probably do better then I'll learn to do it myself.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

AnimeEmperor

I buy my costumes. Tha main reasons are that I have no talent in making them, but also that like Nana said i'm also a perfectionist. If I made it myself i'd be too focused on all the tiny flaws I knew it had. Also personally I have alot more fun in a costume a buy, since I just take it out of the box and I magically become a character without having to think of it as just some fabric.

.......and once again, I hav e NO talent in making them. I probably would do it if I could just for the experience.

Kazuko

x: i make my outfits but one of them was assisted x: so well technally i make but this year i think my friends mom is gonna make an outfit so that would be a buy XD

zoupzuop2

My first-evar cosplay was basically me "making" with bits of "buy" here and there. Given that my budget is INFINITELY bigger now than ever before...

...I'll just have to see. I might buy some major parts of my cosplay next year.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Dawn

making it yourself is all the fun!

or like get your friends and make it together... like each person works on theirs.. thats what me and a couple of my friends plan for the 2007
hmm... i need a sig... lol ahaha!

/evil look

woopahhh

Quote from: "Dawn"making it yourself is all the fun!

or like get your friends and make it together... like each person works on theirs.. thats what me and a couple of my friends plan for the 2007

Dude I hecka agree with that!  Last year my friends and I all made our Bleach costumes [Sui Fong, Ichigo, Rukia, & Yoruichi] together and it came out really great!

LadyKaren

I prefer making my own from scratch vs buying because I have some talent and no money and when I'm picky about the details, I'm the only who can get it the way I want it.

Nina Star 9

i like to make them.

i would have no fun at all if all i did was buy them~ i think that most of the fun is actually making the costume yourself. well, i say taht before i start and after i finish. in between, i always wish i would have gone the cmossion route. xD

but i also like how when you make them yourself, they always look more YOU, you know? sure, i have seen some beautiful comissions, but somissins just look like what they are - made for money without any love put into them. sure, there is effort and skill, but no love. you need the love for the character/costume/running around in it in order for it to turn out right, i think.

yOna

i make mine. i like to sew, and it gives me more experience  :D

the only thing i don't like about it is messing up  :cry: then i have to buy even more material. boooooo.
Christine L.
FanimeCon Registration Staff

Rette

Its more rewarding to make them yourself, imo. And you can be far picky-er that way as well.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

zoupzuop2

Well, in a sense, it's hard to completely buy one's own costume or completely make it. It's more of a mixture (such as, if you're making your costume, you gotta buy the stuff to make it! Likewise, if you're buying your costume, you need to make a means to get it, such as money or bribery. Also, unless you're reckless, you make SOME sort of plan on how you want the costume to look before you go out and buy it.) of the two.

I was more on the "buy" side, but with a lot of "make" compilation of those things I bought. This time might be more "buy" oriented, but I'll try to add some original touches.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

DayDreamerNessa

make. I like that I can say that I made it and not someone else. I think it's fun to talk about costume construction at cons, it's interesting to hear how people made there cosplays to me.

I commissioned someone once to make me a costume abck when i was a newbie in sewing, it wasn't the best experience, and the person who I commissioned didn't make it completely accurate =(.

I only buy what I have to like shoes, loose socks; basically stuff I can't make myself XD
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

otakuapprentice

if you're really lazy and just want a costume and not ahve to deal with alot of hassle, then buy. but for everyone else(which is probably somewhere around 95% of cosplayers), then making it is the only way to go.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Evangelion Xgouki

I prefer to make my own cosplay.  I find it's a nice way to improce my once non-existant sewing skills (at least non-existant until I started cosplaying in college) since I'm doing it for something I really enjoy.  Plus that sense of satisfaction you get when people want to take your picture, compliment your cosplay, etc.  I probably won't end up "buying" a cosplay in my future, but I will buy items if it can be modified to by needs or will eliminate some unwanted work (i.e. buying blue dress pants for a FMA military uniform or modifying a T-Shirt).  This also goes for accessories, if I can help it since I know that I don't have access to enough space and equipment to make anything elaborate in my small dorm room  :P .  Overall, I like to make them myself.  It's fun (most of the time >_>).