Henna at Fanime?

Started by XpHoBiaX, September 25, 2006, 10:00:09 PM

XpHoBiaX

I was thinking about having a small henna booth at Fanime '07. I am a very talented artist, and I was thinking of setting up shop for fanime. I've thought about it for a while, I've done henna at ren faires and wine festivals, and at flee markets.

I was wondering if that would work out well with the staff? I am not to keen on doing it indoors, as the henna stains if it gets on anything. I'd love to have a designated spot out in the open. So if henna gets on the ground, it won't be an issue. Everything I have comes in containers and is premixed. Henna is a temporary pigment that stains the skin for up to 7 weeks if taken care of.

If you don't know what Henna is, Great America has Henna booths called "Little Miss Hena".  Check it out. I used to work for the lady that owns the shops. 'Course, I have my own designs and my own product and I do most of all my designs by hand.

Anyways, it's an idea.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Wow! You're a henna artist?! That's SO cool!! <3 <3

XpHoBiaX

yeah, i've been doing henna as a hobby  for 4 years.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: "XpHoBiaX"yeah, i've been doing henna as a hobby  for 4 years.
I could NEVER do that. I have like...no talent for realism. My specialty lies in abstract painting more. Hell I can rap and do poetry easier to!

Well as long as your henna wouldn't stain any of my clothes stuff...I'd TOTALLY get one from you. btw...Does it hurt?o.o;

Nanashi

Sounds interesting. But...why would it hurt? o.o
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: "Nanashi"Sounds interesting. But...why would it hurt? o.o
I dunno! I don't really know henna and I've never had it before. I also have the pain tolerance of a pre-high school girl @.@

nekokazzie

i think you're mixing henna up with tatooing. No needle is involved with henna, just a bit of pacience to let the paste they put on you to dry :D Itjust leaves a stain on your skin the same shape as the design^_^
' I reject your reality and substitute my own!' - Mythbuster's Jamie ^-^

Ayanami Rei First Child

Ohhhhh. Well that's really good. I'd love to have some Henna done then!! Maybe I can be one of the first few customers of Phobia-chan! <3

XpHoBiaX

I'd love to give the first 20 people a free henna tattoo, but I still am wondering if this would be a good I dea or not for fanime...I wanna know what other people would think...ya know?

nekokazzie

it would be awesome if you did this, I know I'd want one^_^ You'd have to ask the staff to see if you could do it, it might be easier to get a booth in the artist alley than in the dealers room though...dunno why but that's my thinking :wink:
' I reject your reality and substitute my own!' - Mythbuster's Jamie ^-^

XpHoBiaX

I will need some help too. I may hire a few hands, since there's gonna be a whole bunch of people. I am looking forward to having a booth, but I need one that won't be around anything that can be stained. That is my major concern. Henna does stain and I don't want a crisis to occur when/if one of my customers accidently bump their design into someone else's costume...my god that would be hell.

That's why something outside would be best.

Ayanami Rei First Child

*Nods nods* That is certainly one thought. Although Artist Alley has some nice open space, it's usually less crowded then the dealer's room ^^

XpHoBiaX

I will need a lot of space, becuase the traffic from my customers alone will make it very crowded. O_o o'course, sometimes that just can't be helped...but I don't want to jam up the regular flow of passersby and people traveling back and forth. That's when accidents occur.

Tony

I think it's a really cool idea, but I worry about the Facilities. They get VERY upset if their (new) carpets, walls, etc get stained or damaged.

Anyway, I'll ask around this saturday.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Ayanami Rei First Child

Right, so it'd have to be towards the back of like the dealer's room, or outside.

XpHoBiaX

I would rather the henna be OUTSIDE lol, cuz not everyone is careful. Me, personaly, I am very good at not making messes. BUT shit happens and I pretty much expect the worse of everything. That and some people don't like the smell of henna. Also if it were outside, the paste would dry much faster in direct sunlight, and when it flakes off the paste will be on the ground and not the floor. That and I have to spray an citrus and sugar mixture onto the paste to darken the pigment...and that stuff is sticky. So yeah, outside is the best idea.

Snow Ninja

Hmm...sounds interesting. Do you think you'd be able to do Kanji, provided we give you what Kanji to 'write' on us?

Ayanami Rei First Child

Oooooo! That would be SO cool! I could have the Gaara's stuff as a henna tattoo!! *_*

XpHoBiaX

Yes, i have studied japanese in highschool, writing kanji is no problem. Though, it woul dbe nice to have a reference. lol I don't know choice words off the top of my head... lol my brain doesn't work like that. :P

Snow Ninja

Well, what I was thinking was I could have the Kanji of "Snow" somewhere on my hands or face. If it was on the face, it'd have to be under one of my eyes(Possibly on my forehead). However, if it was on the hand, having it in the palm of one of my hands would be nice...

I pick Snow because I am, afterall, a Snow Ninja.

:3