Zoupzuop2's Review: Princess Princess

Started by zoupzuop2, October 09, 2006, 10:45:16 PM

zoupzuop2

Hello Hello! Zoupzuop2 reporting for one of probably the... one reviews he'll ever post. This time, it's regarding another small series known as Princess Princess.

QUICK STATS:
*Musical Score: 9/10. BEAUTIFUL. I'm sure, however, there are better scored animes I've not heard of, so I'll label it a 9 for safety. Excellent strings and traditional orchestra pieces do the series excellent justice.
*Comedy: 8/10. Whenever the series isn't serious and touching and/or powerful, it's funny. And always quite so. Nothing to the level of, say, Ranma ½ or some other Comedy animes, but with what it has, it's great.
*Drama: 9/10. The way the story unfolds is an art unto itself. Despite the odd concept, it truly is the story of developing from a boy to a man.

General Plot: Touru is a transfer student to a school that has an odd system: New students are nominated for the position of "Princesses", where, in return for monetary and lunch needs completely covered, they are required to serve as cheerleaders, mascots, and entertainment... as girls in appearance. All the students understand their actual sexes, but still treat them with the utmost of respect. He meets two other students in the same "boat", as they call it: Yuujiro, a self-established outcast from his family; and Mikoto, the reluctant member (which only serves to make him one of the perfect candidates), simply out of fear that his girlfriend will see him in costume.

Nothing overly inappropriate, although there is one feigned male-on-male kiss scene, which sort of weirded me out. If you have nothing against seeing anime characters crossdress, and occasionally jest about homosexuality, then this is a fine series.

Blame for my interest in the series goes to Lok. No doubt, he'll find some way to use this for furthering my corruption... XD

Your thoughts? Comments? Compliments? More requests for me to cosplay Touru-kun (chances currently a whopping 0 out of 0 and not budging)? Post 'em here!
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Tsubasa

I take Princess Princess ("Puri Puri") as, what I'll refer to as, a "shoujo lite:" a shoujo that lacks a lot of the umph of other shoujos.

One of the big defining qualities I see for shoujo is drama and emotive story.  Yes, Puri Puri has that, but everything feels just a little... underwhelming.  Drama?  I personally thought that if the characters thought their situations though a bit more throughly and/or talked with a few more people, they wouldn't even have problems.  They weren't situations that required revolutionary, eye-opening epiphanies.

On the production side, the show's noticably running on an alloted budget.  The art quality and animation scream low-budget TV anime.  The score and seiyuu get things done, but aren't really things worth writing home about either.

That isn't to say that the series is a total flop.  It's just cheap and kinda forgetable stuff.  While you are actually watching it, it's an amusing series about pretty guys dressing up as even prettier girls (Mikoto is adorable).  And that's arguably enough reason to watch it already.  A fun series with its fair share of moments.  Just don't dive in expecting "ground-breaking."
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

KimaLucifer

Tsudamikiyo a.k.a ZououDaishi is a Yaoi doujinshi artist D:

I HATED how the anime looked that I didn`t even touch the anime series. I touched a bit of the Drama and the only person who LOOKED like he should was Natashou. Out of the princesses, Mikoto was VAGUELY Mikoto.
I have lots of Grudges against this series and I will sound like I am bashing it. I have issues with the ANIME. PEOPLE WILL SAY THE ANIME IS GREAT and then they will think that the comic was retarded. Which it`s not (in my opinion).

Princess Princess was on a Comic Magazine called Wings which, as much as they say is Shoujo Manga, is 75% Yaoi-referenced in one way or another lightly. So of course it will not be Shoujo as you wish it was.
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

zoupzuop2

Ack. Am I one of the few that liked the series?

This probably means I should see more anime before passing judgement... 0_o
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

LastElixir

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Ack. Am I one of the few that liked the series?

why is that? you saw something and you LIKED it, how great is that? who cares what others think, if you enjoy a series, that all what matters. We all carry hobbies and spend our time on it for enjoyment right?

I think we all watch anime for different reasons, we all have different tastes and different things makes people react in different ways. It's great that people express their opinions on certain series, but I don't think it should be effective to the point where you have to question your own taste. :)

I personally tend to like a lot of series people pass on. I tend to find appreciation on series that are rather underappreciated, but that's me. If you like a series, let's appreciate it. :) I agree with you on the fact that you should WATCH MORE anime though.

j

Tsubasa

Whether it's apparent or not in my discourse above, I enjoyed the series.  I watched it through and I don't think it was a waste of my time.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

uzutake

I like it. In fact I love the anime! ^^()

But your 9/10 for the musical quality is too WHOPPING for me. I mean, really nice music and all, but played at the TOTALLY wrong times. Sometimes it'll go on for too long, or it'll be too short, or they'll play something that'll kill the mood.

Like that part were Yuujirou was talking about his past, I didnt feel sympathy at all. Why? I found out later that the music killed it -__-

Emerge

i wiki'd this. all i saw were traps in pics. i haven't seen this anime. but i might like it, based solely on that

lol...i dunno. i might check it out, just to see what it's like

zoupzuop2

Neep. You and your traps...

...well, the guys pass surprisingly well for girls in it, voices notwithstanding (as in, EVER). Of course, I only watched it subtitled, as provided on Youtube, so, if the voices get to be too much, just mute it and watch it in all its trap glory.

Next up to be reviewed: SLAYERS!
...I hope. Gott'a get to class now.

Sucrose

Wow, you're gonna review Slayers? How epic. Slayers will always be my favorite of favorites...partially because it was the first anime series I ever really watched, partially just because it's so awesome. <3
In mammals, Sucrose is digested in the stomach, into its component sugars, by acidic hydrolysis. The Glucose and Fructose are then absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine. (Lactose just isn't cool enough to enter into it.)

Rowan

i have yet to read the manga, cuz the bookstore never has it when i'm there ><, but i read a translated sneek peek and i really really want to read the rest O_o

I didn't wanna look at the anime, but i'll watch it >>. I ....like the drama series >>;;;;;

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "Sucrose"Wow, you're gonna review Slayers? How epic. Slayers will always be my favorite of favorites...partially because it was the first anime series I ever really watched, partially just because it's so awesome. <3
Ahh, note the hope... I don't know how big Slayers is. 0_.