Ranma Masquerade Skit '07 Mind-Dump

Started by zoupzuop2, October 15, 2006, 11:02:13 PM

ranma12

lol well you could change or fix or somthin that was just a start soo yeah it was hella short

Mankan Chayor

What is the time limit for these skits? I forget. <__<

zoupzuop2

Rei, that's a good idea. A touch cliché'd, but if we end up using that idea, it could stand to be Takahashi'd to the point where it'd work. I'll keep it in mind.

Voodoo... good point. 0_. If anyone knows the time limits/approximations for skits, it'd be most appreciated. A specified timeslot would help me plan this out better. I dun' wanna write an epic if there's only 3 minutes or so to pull something small out of the hat. If anyone knows it, please post it here.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

zoupzuop2

http://www.fanime.com/2006/cosplay/cosplay_guidelines.php#pre_walk

Aaaaaaand it looks like the limit is 3 Minutes 0_. Also, there's only about 8 people allowed. Breach those, and the whole thing is disqualified.
That doesn't leave much. Like, at all. If '07 follows the '06 standards, there isn't much I can do.

This means...
*I'll have to write something that should last about two minutes, maybe two and a half (leaving room for some laughs or whatnot)
*There will probably be very few special effects. There WILL be a Ranma transformation one way (if not both) for the novelty of it.
*The gags will either have to be plentiful or GOOD. I'll try to find a balance between quality and quantity.
*Scoring it through MIDI will be easier. I can write a 3 min. piece in a matter of two, three days if I push.
*The ratio of stagehands to actors/actresses will be ≤ 1. I'd guess maybe a 5-3 Acting-Assisting ratio for this skit. The number is not set in stone, though.

If anyone has some ideas for a great skit that would stay at about 2-2½ minutes, PLEASE post it here!
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

BunofGovt

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"There's one problem with that: Kuno woul NEVER intentionally summon a demon. A Djinn or evil genie would work a lot better.

Just a suggestion ...

Kuno summons an evil genie to destroy Ranma.
The genie turns out to be another one of Ranma's fiancees.  
Genie also happens to work with water magic and while trying to splash Akane, splashes Ranma instead, turning him into female Ranma.  
Genie breaks off engagement and decides to run off with Kuno.
Ranma can't believe ANYONE would diss him for Kuno and tries to woo back genie.
Akane beats up Ranma.  
:wink:
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

bahamutknightzero

Any of these Ranma ideas would look great onstage. The challenge would be picking a good one and having it fit the guidelines. mainly the time limit.

Ayanami Rei First Child

A djinni is the real name for genies, and they're notoriously evil.

Yeah I DO love that idea. It's deliciously awesome!!

zoupzuop2

Somewhat of a bump, I've considered a random gag for the potential plot:

*Possible plot: Ranma decides, on the spur of the moment, to get some Hot Pockets. However, it's guarded by the one thing he hates most...*

Ranma: Alright, I have no choice... CHAAAAAAAARRRRGE! :evil: (Charges offstage)

SOUND BITE: "Meow."

Ranma:(Charges back on stage)CAAAAAAAAAAAAT! :shock: (Flails around on stage) CATCATCATCATITSACATOHGODGETMEAWAYFROMTHECA-- (Notices responses from others onstage, pauses...)
*ahem* Right. (Blahblahblah...)

Hopefully someone can consider a better plot than Hot Pockets... 0_o

bahamutknightzero

Sounds good, but one thing is missing. You have Ranma faint, then you hear a dog bark at the cat, the cat gets scared and faints.

Anyone who gets that reference gets a bag of cookies.

BunofGovt

Quote from: "bahamutknightzero"Sounds good, but one thing is missing. You have Ranma faint, then you hear a dog bark at the cat, the cat gets scared and faints.

Anyone who gets that reference gets a bag of cookies.

Are you referring to Ryoga's pet dog?  I've only seen her in the manga, though, the ep where he returned home to see her puppies and invited Akane.  I don't remember seeing her in the anime.

And re this:

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Somewhat of a bump, I've considered a random gag for the potential plot:

*Possible plot: Ranma decides, on the spur of the moment, to get some Hot Pockets. However, it's guarded by the one thing he hates most...*

He's going for Hot Pockets because it's the one weapon that will defeat the genie (she's allergic).  

He starts to run home, turns and sees a cat, falls over a hedge (heh heh clever staging) in to water (sound bite of splash) and pops up as female Ranma.

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Ranma:  CAAAAAAAAAAAAT! :shock: (Flails around on stage) CATCATCATCATITSACATOHGODGETMEAWAYFROMTHECA-- (Notices responses from others onstage, pauses...)

Genie is turned off by both Ranma's change and that he/she is scared of the cat.  Somehow Kuno does not notice this?  Maybe he got knocked out by the genie's first attack or got a robe or something thrown over his head?

(Blahblahblah...)  it's late sorry rambling, this is like stone soup, everyone should just add on to the pot, er, plot...

bahamutknightzero

I haven't seen much of Ranma so I had no clue Ryoga had a dog, but that's not quite it. Here's a hint, it was on Cartoon Network.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "BunofGovt"
He's going for Hot Pockets because it's the one weapon that will defeat the genie (she's allergic).  

He starts to run home, turns and sees a cat, falls over a hedge (heh heh clever staging) in to water (sound bite of splash) and pops up as female Ranma.

Genie is turned off by both Ranma's change and that he/she is scared of the cat.  Somehow Kuno does not notice this?  Maybe he got knocked out by the genie's first attack or got a robe or something thrown over his head?
Methinks you like the genie plot, ne? I'll keep it in mind. Unfortunately, only a few other ideas have been tossed into the pot as well--all legitimately good in their own rights, but only a few nonetheless. Once I've got a good list of plots (that I'll compile on my own computer), I'll whittle from there the ones that I think will work best in a 3-min timeframe. (This will not mean that the other ideas were poor; it just means that the ones I did pick were the ones that I thought were the best situated for a funny, well-done skit in 3 minutes.

(DANG! This 3-minute rule is KILLIN' me! If only it were more like 5, or even 4...)

Barnes

Quote from: "bahamutknightzero"I haven't seen much of Ranma so I had no clue Ryoga had a dog, but that's not quite it. Here's a hint, it was on Cartoon Network.

You're talking about "2 Stupid Dogs", aren't you?

On topic, good luck with your skit, zoupzuop2!
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: "Barnes"
Quote from: "bahamutknightzero"I haven't seen much of Ranma so I had no clue Ryoga had a dog, but that's not quite it. Here's a hint, it was on Cartoon Network.

You're talking about "2 Stupid Dogs", aren't you?

On topic, good luck with your skit, zoupzuop2!

Bingo, you win a bag of cookies *throws you a bag of cookies*

zoupzuop2

Ah! I just remembered something else!

Maybe, at the end, when the cast is "bowing" (it's not done yet, folks!), Ryoga bursts onto the stage, all "WHERE IN THE WORLD AM I NOW?!?!?" an' the like. Mmmyesquite bluhhhmustache.

And, For the record, I remember Two Stupid Dogs.
"BALL! BALL! BALL! BALL! BALL..."

zoupzuop2

I think I've got a winner.

Ranma vs. Capt. Commerciallot!
(Ranma is randomly faced with a foe whose fighting style consists of making everything the opponent does a commercial for something-- then striking when they least expect it.)

Cast Needed:
    Ranma-otoko
    Ranma-onna
    Akane
    Captain Commerciallot
    Ryoga
    *3 "Ninjas" to run props on stage*

There might not be as many effects as I thought, but it's a basic premise that converts to a stage setting somewhat easily, and allows for some laughs and plot advancement within a 3-minute timeslot.

Aye? Ney? Other ideas that'd work better? Add-ons to this one?
Truth be told, I really like this one, for whatever odd reason.

zoupzuop2

Ehhh... maybe Capt. Commerciallot isn't as flexible an idea as I thought he could be... but the concept of Ranma vs. some sort of off-kilter skit adversary still seems a good idea to me.

Please, more ideas! If the Ranma Vs ______ idea is good/bad, say so! If you have better ideas, keep 'em coming! I'm compiling them all, and none of this is final yet, so please! Whatever could help, will!

BunofGovt

zoupzuop2

I'm aware of my English assignment. At my current rate, I've got well over two weeks to write my essay, and I've worked on it today, and plugged away a large percent of it. I'm just taking a short period of time every so often to run through some projects I'm preparing for Fanime.

I still need ideas for a villain for the skit, and/or different ideas that lend themselves well for a skit of this sort. Whatever can be provided, please, go for it!

BunofGovt

woop, I was partially teasing there.  I know everyone needs a break now and then  :wink:

Captain Commerciallot could work but you need to have the commercials in mind and fit the fighting around them.  For instance, a commercial for spaghetti sauce:  in the fight, Ranma tries to throw a lasso around the Captain who grabs the end, twirls it around Ranma, then whips out a bottle of sauce from his jacket pocket and pours it on Ranma's head while screaming Tasty sauce, good on all pastas, or something like that.  The Captain might actually fight with food commercials, then at the end, whip out paper towels to sell a quick cleanup, throw water on Ranma and Ryoga who transform into  female Ranma and P-Chan.  The Captain is distracted trying to chase P-Chan into a commercial for ginzu knives and they run off stage chased by everyone else.  Actually, this sounds messy and I'm hungry now.  Okay skip the food ideas, but as long as you know what items to have commercials for and then work the fights around them.

Lasso or rope - spaghetti or spaghetti sauce

Umbrella (Ryoga's) - Actually could grab the umbrella, open it to show it to audience saying 'buy umbrellas to ward off the rain and other elements' and then bop Ryoga on the head with it.

School bag - Grab Ranma's or Akane's and say 'leather is best for bags, holds everything you need for school including a student' and then open the bag and cover Ranma's head with it.

What could Ranma throw or use in a fight against the Captain?  If he threw Hot Pockets, the captain could catch the Hot Pockets, say how tasty they are and throw them at Ranma's dad who catches them and eats them.

ah, I need dinner.  Hope this helps.