Fanime Dance stuff.

Started by bucac, October 18, 2006, 11:01:07 PM

bucac

Alrite, i have a few things on my mind here about the dances that go on at night. Why is it always raving? >_>. where are all the other genres? i'm sure quite a few of you have some, that you would like to hear other then trance/techno. Secondly, omg, this is an open dance for everyone. what are you trying to teach kids? guys taking off their shirt, and all of you are freaking/raving. i saw A LOT of kids in there. Feel free to accept or object.

-MC Hammer
you should go eat a peanut. =]

gofetchamokey

zoupzuop2

You make a fair point, Bucac. Little kids probably shouldn't be exposed to that sort of thing. Maybe if there was a warning posted or something?

However, techno and rave are fairly common in an anime fan's list of favorite genres, for the most part. Even if not, it sure can be fun to dance to. Such is the way modern dances go, although a few 80's hits make their way into even the most modern of dance halls (thank goodness).
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

pringles

now that is wat i'm talking about. old school funk music is the best music. they should definitely play more 80s beats.

blueskad00

I personally enjoyed all the techno as I'm a raver, but I bet Fanime could look into hiring at least one DJ that plays different music, right? Since the DJs rotate after their sets are done, it would make sense to throw in a different genre or two. I wish the dances could have gone on longer, too. Since no one actually starts movement until about eleven and the thing ends at two, I wish we could have made it till three? ((We did manage to call an encore on Saturday night and that was awesome and then people just sort of continued the party in their respective hotel rooms---but that was sketchy and sorta creepy.))

The Nameplate Ninja

I love most forms of electronic music but I wouldn't mind seeing old school hip-hop and old school funky breaks played as well.
Dedicated to Ryoichi Koga & Goofy Style ^_^

Kegan_Flame

Quote from: "blueskad00"I personally enjoyed all the techno as I'm a raver, but I bet Fanime could look into hiring at least one DJ that plays different music, right? Since the DJs rotate after their sets are done, it would make sense to throw in a different genre or two. I wish the dances could have gone on longer, too. Since no one actually starts movement until about eleven and the thing ends at two, I wish we could have made it till three? ((We did manage to call an encore on Saturday night and that was awesome and then people just sort of continued the party in their respective hotel rooms---but that was sketchy and sorta creepy.))

i agree!

i LOOOVE the tchno1!! it was awesome!!

they probably should do something about the real young kids in there.. like.. 13 and down or something? But i can tell you now... i don't want to be bringing my ID with me to the dance.. no plase to put it >.> and then.. it really wansn;t that bad.. i mean.. it's not like people were doing drugs and drinking and stuff...

personally, i had TONS of fun and i simply ADORE Techno./..

so um

please don't change it?

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "Kegan_Flame"i LOOOVE the tchno1!! it was awesome!!

they probably should do something about the real young kids in there.. like.. 13 and down or something? But i can tell you now... i don't want to be bringing my ID with me to the dance.. no plase to put it >.> and then.. it really wansn;t that bad.. i mean.. it's not like people were doing drugs and drinking and stuff...

personally, i had TONS of fun and i simply ADORE Techno./..

so um

please don't change it?

Personally i don't see the problem with younger kids coming to the dance, i started raving and going to underground events when i was 15.
(WHERE THERE IS DRUGS AND DRINKING)

Outside of Fanime you can expect drugs and drinking in any scene, rock music - rap music - electronic music. every music scene has their share of drug use.

but lets talk about the real problem shall we? I dont see what the problem is with younger kids coming to the dance, i mean if they are 13 and 14 you know so what who cares they are almost mature enough to take care of them selfs. but if your bringing 10 and 9 year olds thats a problem they need to be monitored no doubt.
but folks look if the kids are in their teens let them come and enjoy the dance it doesn't matter if people are freak dancing or anything like that i assure you in a year the younger teens will be doing it too,
i hate to see younger folks banished from doing something they enjoy.

i can tell you i hate the fact that alot of electronic music is club oriented and it doesn't give the younger folks a chance to go and enjoy it.

Cheers,
Stormy, (Dave S)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

ProfessorOhki

Quote from: "bucac"Alrite, i have a few things on my mind here about the dances that go on at night. Why is it always raving? >_>. where are all the other genres? i'm sure quite a few of you have some, that you would like to hear other then trance/techno. Secondly, omg, this is an open dance for everyone. what are you trying to teach kids? guys taking off their shirt, and all of you are freaking/raving. i saw A LOT of kids in there. Feel free to accept or object.

-MC Hammer

If it's that late at night, shouldn't the little ones be asleep?  Also, if they're old enough to be wandering around the convention unattended, they're probably old enough to see clothed people dancing in a semi-provocative manner.  I mean "just look at what's on TV these days!".  ffs, we're not talking about any thing thats 18+...
--Be seeing you...

boots01

fanime IS looking into alternative/different ideas for dances.  there's a rumor going round that there may be a black and white masquerade ball happening which would be open to all ages.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

serajwl

See, the great thing about electronic music is the way it allows you to dance. You don't need to know how to dance when you're dancing to electronic/dance music. When it comes to hip hop, swing, ballroom, and other genres like this, you have to at least know something about how to dance to that sort of music.

And from what I've seen, electronic/dance music is much less harmful to our youth. Most people are not freak dancing to techno. That's what today's hip hop is for.

Secondly, I don't think our youth is in any danger here, mostley because it's much later at night when the older ones come to dance. A time which the kids  should be going to bed.

I think that there should be another seperate room for certain genres like swing dancing/tango/salsa/whatever else requires you to know something about how to dance to it.

And as far as hip hop/rap goes, I'm mostley against it because the lyrics are horrible and are more influential to techno. That, and I can't dance to hip hop or rap in a tasteful manner like I can to techno.

If you want that kind of stuff, go to a school dance.

However, I would love to have a DJ that plays lot's of 80s music.

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "serajwl"See, the great thing about electronic music is the way it allows you to dance. You don't need to know how to dance when you're dancing to electronic/dance music. When it comes to hip hop, swing, ballroom, and other genres like this, you have to at least know something about how to dance to that sort of music.

And from what I've seen, electronic/dance music is much less harmful to our youth. Most people are not freak dancing to techno. That's what today's hip hop is for.

Secondly, I don't think our youth is in any danger here, mostley because it's much later at night when the older ones come to dance. A time which the kids  should be going to bed.

I think that there should be another seperate room for certain genres like swing dancing/tango/salsa/whatever else requires you to know something about how to dance to it.

And as far as hip hop/rap goes, I'm mostley against it because the lyrics are horrible and are more influential to techno. That, and I can't dance to hip hop or rap in a tasteful manner like I can to techno.

If you want that kind of stuff, go to a school dance.

However, I would love to have a DJ that plays lot's of 80s music.

Well put sera thank you for expressing that, electronic music has always been about freedom of expression, you do your own thing the way you want to nobody makes fun of the way you dance everyone just does what they feel, electronic music offers the greatest dancing of all a dance of freedom no one making you jump in a circle and bust out your c-walks and break moves you can stand in the crowd jump around, play with lights or floor it and nod your head. i will admit dancing is a art form no doubt but i feel like the greatest art is the freedom of positive expression.

Cheers,
Stormy, (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

Loco:Neko

i like going to the dances because of the techno.  at AX they were doing some hip hop and some rap.  Some of that stuff was good, but I could get that kind of stuff at any night club.  my friends and i like going to the dances at fanime mainly for the techno.  i hope it doesn't change.

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "Loco:Neko"i like going to the dances because of the techno.  at AX they were doing some hip hop and some rap.  Some of that stuff was good, but I could get that kind of stuff at any night club.  my friends and i like going to the dances at fanime mainly for the techno.  i hope it doesn't change.

I hope it doesn't either. thats the main reason i jumped along board last year i felt like fanime wasn't expressing electronic music as it should of been.
i think thats why i always try and play the darker and more underground sounds of tech trance, progressive and psy trance not just for fanime but at all the warehouse and club events i do as well. seems like you folks are the guys that enjoy electronic music just as much as your average club goers and warehouse candy ravers. i find it to be extremely important that fanime WILL ALWAYS play electronic music.

dun mind me just another rant =p

Cheers,
Stormy, (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

BSaphire

I want to say that I felt the dance/rave was... a little tame I was in and out of there both nights last year and I didn't feel the music move me to dance. I LOVE trance, techno, industrial, indie, Jrock etc. The music was ok and everyone was having a good time. I guess that's ok if that's what your fans want.

In April I am going back to SakuraCon for their 10th anniversary and I will be at both dances and the ball if they hold that again. The difference from Fanime... The floor was literally moving at Sakura Con. I have waited a year to do it again!  As for successful.... Fri night they had between 1500 to 1800 in the room. Sat they already had it maxed @ 2,000 and 50 -150 peeps in line waiting to get in. They held it in the main event room.

When Sakura is over I will then look forward to Sac Anime Cons SAC Club Rave. After that I will be waiting for YaoiCon.... It would be nice to have that feeling that I get at these other cons at Fanime and elsewhere.

Just an opinion... and BTW... I will be @ the black & white ball if Fanime has it. ^^)
Anime Corrupted wishes & Deviant Cosplaying dreams!!! ^^)
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

djtw33k

From the cons that I've played at, I actually feel tat electronica is just fine compared to hip hop.  If anyone doesn't know who I am..
*waves
I'm the DJ for ANime Expo from 2004-2007 that strictly plays house and trance.

After seeing electronica and hip hop, I don't see how the electronica can be called a bad influence.  Electronica is also great for any kind of dancing, this way it doesn't discriminate...I've even seen battle circles with breakers battling during my slots at AX, and never see them during the hip hop segment...odd huh? :? ALong with that..."freaking" is not dancing.

Also raves wasn't always about drugs.  It was always the music that brought the people together.

I'm so shocked with how many people at Fanime are such electronica freaks...I wish AX has more people like you guys :cry: ...instead I'd get a lot of the people asking for hip hop all the time.
Been Tw33k'd??
Then check out
www.myspace.com/djtw33k

veggieq

Quick question (and I feel really stupid asking this because I think it is a very obvious question..but I want to make sure anyway.) My friend said that it's only open for 18 and up...but then you made references to 13-15 year olds going to the dance.

So this is my question. What is the age limit for the dance because I'm not sure if my friend mistook the dance for something else or what.

I'm 17...so it would really suck if I couldn't get in. It sounds like so much fun!  

Fanime 2007 will be my first official Fanime. (:

protocol7

Quote from: "djtw33k"

Ooo.. 2004.. Took a break from giving out glowsticks to go smoke, when suddenly raven came out looking for me because of my friend breaking his ankle, fun times :)

You say 2007, that means you're there this year too? Awesome.
FanimeCons resident zombie.
*I* MADE this happen!

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "veggieq"Quick question (and I feel really stupid asking this because I think it is a very obvious question..but I want to make sure anyway.) My friend said that it's only open for 18 and up...but then you made references to 13-15 year olds going to the dance.

So this is my question. What is the age limit for the dance because I'm not sure if my friend mistook the dance for something else or what.

I'm 17...so it would really suck if I couldn't get in. It sounds like so much fun!  

Fanime 2007 will be my first official Fanime. (:

The dance has always been open to all ages. i dont see why it wouldn't be.
i remember i first went to the fanime dance when i was 15 long ago before i was Spinning there, personally i like seeing the younger folks come in gives them good exposure to electronic music.

Cheers,
Dave S (Stormy)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

djtw33k

Quote from: "protocol7"
Quote from: "djtw33k"

Ooo.. 2004.. Took a break from giving out glowsticks to go smoke, when suddenly raven came out looking for me because of my friend breaking his ankle, fun times :)

You say 2007, that means you're there this year too? Awesome.
Yup... I'll be there in 07 as well...because they said if I refused...they'd beat me up, stuff me in a bag, drag me to AX's dance, and force me to play at gun point :shock: ...seriously...they said that.
Someone Broke their ankle in 04??  I remember a guy who broke his ankle in 05...guy named Shin.  We was dancing around during my set on stage...then jumped of, landed wrong...and fell hard.

...also...looks like I'll be making an appearance for Fanime's dance :twisted:
Been Tw33k'd??
Then check out
www.myspace.com/djtw33k