DJ Stormy

No prob m8, dun be afraid to say hi

Cheers,
Dave S. (Stormy)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

Kazuko

e___e there better be techno~ X3 my boyfriend is comming and he expects this D:

x: ooooh there should be candy kid bracalets to hand out besides glowstickies

x: but some changeups would be nice, but if anyone asks for j-rock to be played...it really much inst danceable more than moshable < < well unless you play Kagrra, Miyavi, Onmyo-za or Antique Cafe bands that have upbeats x: something likethat

YoureMyHiro

I really think theyre should be a broader mix, its been a scene focused on primarily electronica/techno oriented music. Now dont get me wrong, I enjoy those genres a great deal but I enjoy R&B, Rap and Hip Hop just as much. A little FUNK would be good to get your groove on with. Some old school freestyle as well, which combines electronic elements with old R&B flare would also be nice. DJs last year did a decent job, nobody can really blame them because they were hired to play what they specialize in but this year Im hoping for the return of DJ-8Ball.

Khaistyle

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"I really think theyre should be a broader mix, its been a scene focused on primarily electronica/techno oriented music. Now dont get me wrong, I enjoy those genres a great deal but I enjoy R&B, Rap and Hip Hop just as much. A little FUNK would be good to get your groove on with. Some old school freestyle as well, which combines electronic elements with old R&B flare would also be nice. DJs last year did a decent job, nobody can really blame them because they were hired to play what they specialize in but this year Im hoping for the return of DJ-8Ball.

Holy shit Jessie you read my F#&$'in mind! Like, last year it was a ton of kids flailing glowsticks around in a dark room. Where does that leave us who y'know, actually DANCE? There's tons of different kinds of dance but to tell you the truth I've had my fill of rave-esque stuff when I was going to Bay Area raves back when I was 16. I know I'm not the only one who feels like this so show your support if you actually read this forum.
I DONT PLAY BEMANI ANYMORE, BITCHES!!

dj 8-ball

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"Some old school freestyle as well, which combines electronic elements with old R&B flare would also be nice. DJs last year did a decent job, nobody can really blame them because they were hired to play what they specialize in but this year Im hoping for the return of DJ-8Ball.

Why thank you.  :D
It is really up to the powers that be in a sense. What it really comes down to (for the fans & me) is: "How many people will dance to the stuff I'll play?"
When a DJ plays his stuff and doesn't see a good crowd/reaction he can lose energy. Sometimes this can't be avoided due to the type of crowd and as of late Fanime has seemed to be even more of a high BPM rave type crowd. Or at least that's the music that will get them on the floor and stay on the floor. The (old skool) hip-hop and b-boy breaks I (prefer) to play has always been hit or miss. So sometimes if it becomes too much of  a miss the DJ might just say to himself, "Why am I even here?"

That's the DJ's POV. Now for the promoter's POV or in this case the Fanime chair that chooses to bring in a DJ: When they see that the crowd isn't doing well it is a simple fact of "Ok, why did we even give this guy/girl a slot?"

But yes I really would love to have the honor of playing at Fanime again and hopefully if I do I will be able to bring the heat like on the good night I did.    8)

dj 8-ball

After reading through this thread more carefully a good point was brought up - "Different rooms for different genres."

TADOW! NOW you have a true club since in the city that's how the majority of dance clubs have it.
You want house? Main room (since that has the biggest crowd).
Old skool freestye? Side room 1
Hip-hop to chill to? Side room 2

The club/promoter diecides what gets played in what room depending on the type of crowd they are expecting.

Fanime is no different. IF this can be done I would expect main/largest room for rave/techno/jungle and a smaller room for hip-hop/house etc.

Two problems though:
1) being able to book said number of rooms
2) getting enough equipiment to cover numnber of rooms

It is workable though.

jinnai_animexcalibur

Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

ebengot

The separate room thing is good. If you can't do that, let the DJs mix it up between the genres. If funk is more popular that night, play more funk; if techno is, then play more of that, and so on. Good DJs should be able to sense if the crowd feels the music or not and adjust accordingly, right? I've seen DJs cut a song short even after just putting it on because most people weren't feeling it, and replace it with something different to get the vibe going (of course, they make the transitions as seamless as possible). I'm sure the DJs would like the freestyle aspect of the idea, and the people will love the variety.
Also, why not put people in the room who can dance the respective styles even a little and motivate people to join them? I've seen one guy in one club who's not a great popper be a patsy for better ones to challenge, and it started a chain reaction of better poppers battling each other--and these guys put on a real show.
Oh! Why not have popping/breaking/house/locking/etc. battles? I'm sure that will get some people going into the dance rooms.
Of course, I'm just throwing these thing out there for consideration.

djz3r0

Hey there. -=New DJ=- throwing my opinion in.

Honestly, when I first came to Fanime 7 years ago, I enjoyed the danced immensely. But the past few years, I haven't had the heart to go. The style has stuck as local hip-hop and trance. While I like both styles... I'd expect at an anime-con to hear more anime mixes and... well, J-pop. Not a constant stream of Utada Hikaru and Hamasaki Ayumi mixes, but a good variety of J-pop. M-flo! Double! Heartsdales!

I'd definitely want to see the dance room get the hype it did when I first walked in 7 years ago.

dj 8-ball

Quote from: "ebengot"The separate room thing is good. If you can't do that, let the DJs mix it up between the genres. If funk is more popular that night, play more funk; if techno is, then play more of that, and so on. Good DJs should be able to sense if the crowd feels the music or not and adjust accordingly, right? I've seen DJs cut a song short even after just putting it on because most people weren't feeling it, and replace it with something different to get the vibe going (of course, they make the transitions as seamless as possible).
Tru dat. At least that's how it USED to be when the mobile DJ era was booming. Since then DJ's have become more picky and specialized in what they carry (whether it be vinyl, CD or laptop). So yes, I can see that people want to dance to house but the problem is I won't have any house to play since the only thing I'd be carrying is old skool hip-hop and disco. (Not that I don't have any house, I just don't carry it from place to place with me). The same holds true when a techno DJ is mixing and sees a bunch of b-boys. He may have no b-boy selection to play.

QuoteOh! Why not have popping/breaking/house/locking/etc. battles? I'm sure that will get some people going into the dance rooms.
Of course, I'm just throwing these thing out there for consideration.
Hmmm...an actual semi-organized battle as opposed to the on the fly ones from the past? That can be worth a shot. Just have a scheduled time for it to go down and have the DJ play old skool breakin' beats!

IamTetsuo

Personally I loved the dances on Saturday and Sunday last year.  I think on Saturday there were two kids there who looked to be maybe 8 and 10.  Their parents were there, I think, but still that was just really weird.  I love the music choice.  All that's offered at the clubs here in Santa Cruz is hip hop and 80s.  (Well one club does offer trance/house on one night, but hardly anyone goes in that room, they all stick to the main room playing hip hop).  The change is refreshing.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the dances again this year.  I should probably go order some glowsticks right now!   :D

dj 8-ball

Quote from: "IamTetsuo"All that's offered at the clubs here in Santa Cruz is hip hop and 80s.

Damn. I need to talk to my booking agent about getting me some gigs in Santa Cruz then!

IamTetsuo

Quote from: "dj 8-ball"
Quote from: "IamTetsuo"All that's offered at the clubs here in Santa Cruz is hip hop and 80s.

Damn. I need to talk to my booking agent about getting me some gigs in Santa Cruz then!

Please do!  You'd have at least one person in attendance!  :P

YoureMyHiro

So do we have a tentative DJ Lineup and/or schedule yet?

jinnai_animexcalibur

Santa Cruz......60's heaven.
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

SeoRaiji

i say play some music for Pop'Lockers and Breakdancers!! =DDD

hahaha just saying..thatd be cool x]

juicedevon

i'm flying back to america specifically in time for fanime.
(moving home from vietnam THIS MONDAY!)

i dont know about anyone else
but as for my best friend and me
we'll definitely be on the dance floor.

if its house, breakbeats, or drum&bass,
even better.

;) just a couple suggestions <3

mDuo13

<3 electronic music. From psytrance to breaks to dance or jungle, I'm there.

There's nothing wrong with having a dance with electronic music. But like any gathering where there are a lot of people in relative darkness, you have to have safety concerns taken care of. Most of all, I agree with DJ Stormy that teens shouldn't be stopped from doing what they like (and they'll find a place to do it anyway) so you may as well let them enjoy their electronic music.

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "mDuo13"<3 electronic music. From psytrance to breaks to dance or jungle, I'm there.

There's nothing wrong with having a dance with electronic music. But like any gathering where there are a lot of people in relative darkness, you have to have safety concerns taken care of. Most of all, I agree with DJ Stormy that teens shouldn't be stopped from doing what they like (and they'll find a place to do it anyway) so you may as well let them enjoy their electronic music.

Cheers to that m8, All forms of electronic music rocks, but when you have this stuff that is cheesy with vocals and poor quality productions i think you all know what i'm talking about ::cough:: Eurobeat ::cough:: but don't get me wrong i'm down with some forms of Happy Hardcore and stuff like that but. i like forms of Electronica that focus on music not vocals for examples, Psy Trance, Breaks, Progressive, Tech Trance all the more proper forms of electronic music.

I hope someday to see that in usa clubs will be 17 and up like most European Clubs and others around the world. its sad to see America more controlling about its nightlife seems like the only place i've seen in the states thats more liberal about its night life is la. with the clubs being 18 and up, i just wish the rest of the states would lower the age limits so younger folks can go out and enjoy a good club atmosphere. but sadly seems like most of these younger kids have to stick to warehouse parties..  
But nothing wrong with a good warehouse party now and then ^_^;;

Cheers,
Stormy, (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace 8)