Fanime Dance stuff.

Started by bucac, October 18, 2006, 11:01:07 PM

YoureMyHiro

Regardless of who people claim the "majority" is, if you play something catchy, people will dance. I know this because all they played last year was electronic stuff and I still danced. I think we need to remove this "Rave" title and continue to refer to it as the "Dance" because in that way people wont expect just one certain genre. I need something to get that freestyle circle going again and if all I can get to do it is a little bit of mainstream R&B, Rap and Pop, then I'll take it.

AX's dance was basically electronic too but the moment they switched it up to Ine Kamoze's "Hot Stepper" after two hours of techno, people rushed the floor. So this year lets do it Democrat style because were ready for change.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: YoureMyHiro on February 06, 2008, 06:58:34 PM
I think we need to remove this "Rave" title and continue to refer to it as the "Dance" because in that way people wont expect just one certain genre. I need something to get that freestyle circle going again and if all I can get to do it is a little bit of mainstream R&B, Rap and Pop, then I'll take it.
I agree.  Why do you guys calling the dance a "rave"?  I've been to a REAL rave in SF and the fanime dance no wear near something like that!!!  Calling the fanime's dance a rave is like using poppin in a breakdance battle.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

The_Merchant

Quote from: dj 8-ball on January 27, 2008, 01:40:30 PM
I DJ'd for years (over 20) lugging record crates (not to mention speakers, remember Cerwin Vega Quakes anyone?). I couldn't get into CD's cuz I found it too hard trying to find particular songs regardless of "cataloging" and the feeling of vinyl control.  I just finally got my laptop last August and I gotta say what a damn relief! But that's not to say I haven't paid my dues or if you were to take it away from me I can't DJ anymore. Hand me some vinyl and I'd have no problem. Of course a lot of the new kids now are just gonna "die" on the tables if you make them use vinyl (let alone carry a crate) cuz they "can't handle the version" or "it skips." hah

Speaking of "kids" we've got a "youngling" in our crew right now that's using our CD's/laptop but we force him to carry record crates anywayz! bwahaha

As for the bay/hyphy stuff. I will say that I do like the beats. It's just the rapping gets too "ebonic" (that would be the bast way to describe it). You take old skool (style) hip-hop and the rapping isn't nearly as ghetto or gangsta. Just my .02 on that subject.

"Cuz you can only go dumb for so long..." :lol:

Man carrying record crates was our way of getting extra weight lifting in ^_^  I still love my turns and my vinyl ^_^
What Are Ya Buyin?

DJ Reign

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on February 06, 2008, 10:54:13 PM
I agree.  Why do you guys calling the dance a "rave"?  I've been to a REAL rave in SF and the fanime dance no wear near something like that!!!  Calling the fanime's dance a rave is like using poppin in a breakdance battle.

I take it you have never been to an underground party when all you have was one black light in a small room with over 300 people.  I am not saying that is what Dance is like, I am saying you do not need all the lights and lasers to have a rave.

Now, I do not know why people are calling Dance a "rave" when it is not.  The music that is played at Dance does not make it a rave in any way.  In fact, the term "rave" is extremely vague. 

Nowadays, they do not call those parties "raves" anymore, simply "dance party" which is more specific.

Now, on to other news:  I am pretty sure that most of you have not heard the news, so I rather have it come from me instead of someone else.  I am the new head of Dance.  There will be a few minor changes that will hopefully benefit everyone that will be attending this year.  But first let me clear something up: 

There has been a rumor about having a 2nd room for Dance.  That will not happen.  There is no possible way I can justify having two rooms for Dance when we cannot fill one room up.  If there was enough people pushing for a 2nd room instead of a handful, then I would have made that push.  Who knows, if in fact enough people started using their voices,  I may have to reconsider and push for a 2nd room.  A second room means more DJ's.  More DJ's mean more genres that will most likely be covered.  And even if there is no 2nd room, do not worry.  I made sure to have a much wider variety in music this year.  And to just to add a spoiler in the mix,  I do have an 80's/90's hip hop/RnB DJ. 

Stay tuned,  I'll have a major update very soon, and you will like it...hopefully. :)

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: DJ Reign on February 07, 2008, 05:27:35 PM
Quote from: OniCourseMusha on February 06, 2008, 10:54:13 PM

I take it you have never been to an underground party when all you have was one black light in a small room with over 300 people.  I am not saying that is what Dance is like, I am saying you do not need all the lights and lasers to have a rave.

Now, I do not know why people are calling Dance a "rave" when it is not.  The music that is played at Dance does not make it a rave in any way.  In fact, the term "rave" is extremely vague. 

Nowadays, they do not call those parties "raves" anymore, simply "dance party" which is more specific.

Now, on to other news:  I am pretty sure that most of you have not heard the news, so I rather have it come from me instead of someone else.  I am the new head of Dance.  There will be a few minor changes that will hopefully benefit everyone that will be attending this year.  But first let me clear something up: 

There has been a rumor about having a 2nd room for Dance.  That will not happen.  There is no possible way I can justify having two rooms for Dance when we cannot fill one room up.  If there was enough people pushing for a 2nd room instead of a handful, then I would have made that push.  Who knows, if in fact enough people started using their voices,  I may have to reconsider and push for a 2nd room.  A second room means more DJ's.  More DJ's mean more genres that will most likely be covered.  And even if there is no 2nd room, do not worry.  I made sure to have a much wider variety in music this year.  And to just to add a spoiler in the mix,  I do have an 80's/90's hip hop/RnB DJ. 

Stay tuned,  I'll have a major update very soon, and you will like it...hopefully. :)
:o

Dj Stormy Rayner

I just quietly chuckle when kids use the term ''Rave'' , this is the only place i hear folks say ''Rave'' totally blows my mind cause i haven't heard that term since like late 90s. those days were fun!  :D  ;D

Stormy Rayner @ http://www.myspace.com/djstormyrayner

DJ Reign

Hey all!

Well, this isn't a major update or anything, but it's worth mentioning:

Dance hours have been changed.  Now, Dance will end at 4 a.m. instead of 2 a.m.

Oh, it might not be called "Dance" for much longer.  That being said, I would like to ask you, the people, what Dance should be called.  If it sounds good, I'll take it up to the heads at the next meeting.

All those who were emailing me about playing at Dance, please bear with me.  An issue has come about and need to think things over.

ruby19_4

I hope for hip hop song in it. O yea. I love balalaika song. Sorry i dont remember the person name who sing this song. It on the kirarin revolution. Is there going to be a dress code or anything. I wont be on long. I will check back maybe later or email me on [email protected] .  thx.

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: ruby19_4 on February 19, 2008, 10:45:57 AM
I hope for hip hop song in it. O yea. I love balalaika song. Sorry i dont remember the person name who sing this song. It on the kirarin revolution. Is there going to be a dress code or anything. I wont be on long. I will check back maybe later or email me on [email protected] .  thx.
There isnt any dress code however I wouldnt wear anything that would prevent anyone from being able to dance, i.e. extremely large cosplay or sharp objects (Id say this is common sense but common sense isnt so common).

ruby19_4

thats true. Ok. Thx. I just want to make sure, bc I went to so many club that has dress code.

ruby19_4

Also what is the time for this dance stuff and where. I will be lost is that big place anyway.

DJ Reign

So uh, I have this idea that I came up with some other guys.  Basically, it will be like a radio session during the day where you come in, chill with us, interviews with con attendees as well as some guests (if we can get any), contests, dance battles, DJ battles (maybe?), and some other stuff.  Now, what I'm asking you guys is if we were to pull this off, what kind of music would you think would fit this session? 

We take requests, so the sooner, the better.

Feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Dj Stormy Rayner

Quote from: DJ Reign on March 13, 2008, 09:02:50 PM
So uh, I have this idea that I came up with some other guys.  Basically, it will be like a radio session during the day where you come in, chill with us, interviews with con attendees as well as some guests (if we can get any), contests, dance battles, DJ battles (maybe?), and some other stuff.  Now, what I'm asking you guys is if we were to pull this off, what kind of music would you think would fit this session? 

We take requests, so the sooner, the better.

Feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Mainstream music for the day, whatever that consists of (which is not my expertise) but i say that and Chill out and Experimental. the contests and other stuff sounds good so roll with it and save all the Electronic Dance Music for the night.

Cheers,
Stormy (Dave S.)

Stormy Rayner @ http://www.myspace.com/djstormyrayner (Canadian Tour to be Announced for 08 , check the Myspace ^_^)

DJ Reign

There's plenty of music to go around.  However, what I mean is if someone had like a special request, we can have it available.  Kind of like a TRL thing, except this isn't the sorry music turned reality show channel known as MTV.  We keep it real!

dj 8-ball

I like the DJ battle idea!
What format (DMC or NMS?) were you going to use and how would you be judging (do NOT use crowd reaction, DJ's either stack the crowd in their favor or the crowd just cheers for something that looks good).

How about just a freestyle DJ showcasing for any who are turntablists? (NO LAPTOPS!)

This is good. I'd like to help out with some of this and I'm sure the promotion company I work for would cover it for DVD, articles etc. Maybe even push it to get more people to attend.

DJ Reign

You know, I was kind of hoping you would see this.  I would like your expertise on this.  I really want this to happen, so please send me an email on which is the best way to go about a DJ battle. 

fragiledreamer

So there isn't a dress code like the BW Ball, but what ARE people wearing?  First Fanime *points to self*  I dont want to look a fool xDD.
Fanime 2009
Shippuden Gaara - Returning
Kazekage Gaara - Returning
Elizabeth Swann - 100%
Lil' Gaara - 5%
Formal BW Ball Gaara - 50%
Hitsugaya Toshiro - uh... i have a sword?
Tasuki? - 20%

ff10girl

Quote from: fragiledreamer on March 22, 2008, 04:37:38 PM
So there isn't a dress code like the BW Ball, but what ARE people wearing?  First Fanime *points to self*  I dont want to look a fool xDD.

I'm right with you there.  This too, is my first fanime :P  I have no idea what to wear to a rave, but I hella wanna go D:<

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: fragiledreamer on March 22, 2008, 04:37:38 PM
People wear just about everything there is to wear when it comes to this event each year from Cosplay to a t-shirt and jeans. My advice to you is to wear something comfortable and that you can move in.

dj 8-ball

Quote from: DJ Reign on March 20, 2008, 07:52:03 PM
You know, I was kind of hoping you would see this.  I would like your expertise on this.  I really want this to happen, so please send me an email on which is the best way to go about a DJ battle. 

Did you get my e-mail response?
Jsut wondering.  ;D