Fanime Dance stuff.

Started by bucac, October 18, 2006, 11:01:07 PM

DJ Reign

Quote from: Atlus on May 06, 2008, 09:07:23 PM
Quote from: DJ Reign on May 06, 2008, 07:29:13 PM
Quote from: Atlus on May 06, 2008, 06:25:26 PM
Quote from: DJ Reign on May 06, 2008, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: Atlus on May 05, 2008, 07:51:58 PM
Hey everybody, I havent read the thread history yet so far, so sorry If Im repeating others but I wanted to know if there is a place to directly request music, specifically the mixture of some mainstream hip hop, house, and dance music  ;D

I am sorry, are you requesting something specific?
Oh no I just meant those genres in general since its sometimes frustrating when the only music is rave and jpop for the entire event

When was the last time you heard jpop at the dance?  And what do you mean by rave?  That is a extremely vague genre that in most cases leads to confusion.
Im just going on what complaints Ive heard from previous dances, those being the main two

You know, I find that odd.  Not too long ago there was a poll on these forums about what music genres should be played.  80's/90's music was the most requested, however the 2nd most requested genre was techno/rave even though as I said before, rave was a extremely vague genre.  So, I do not see how that was a complaint when a lot of people were requesting that.

And I bet you would never guess what the least requested genre was.  It was rap/hip hop.

Oh, and FYI:  dance music falls under the "rave" genre.

kgHapa

Quote from: DJ Reign on May 07, 2008, 05:30:16 PM
Quote from: Atlus on May 06, 2008, 09:07:23 PM
Quote from: DJ Reign on May 06, 2008, 07:29:13 PM
Quote from: Atlus on May 06, 2008, 06:25:26 PM
Quote from: DJ Reign on May 06, 2008, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: Atlus on May 05, 2008, 07:51:58 PM
Hey everybody, I havent read the thread history yet so far, so sorry If Im repeating others but I wanted to know if there is a place to directly request music, specifically the mixture of some mainstream hip hop, house, and dance music  ;D

I am sorry, are you requesting something specific?
Oh no I just meant those genres in general since its sometimes frustrating when the only music is rave and jpop for the entire event

When was the last time you heard jpop at the dance?  And what do you mean by rave?  That is a extremely vague genre that in most cases leads to confusion.
Im just going on what complaints Ive heard from previous dances, those being the main two

You know, I find that odd.  Not too long ago there was a poll on these forums about what music genres should be played.  80's/90's music was the most requested, however the 2nd most requested genre was techno/rave even though as I said before, rave was a extremely vague genre.  So, I do not see how that was a complaint when a lot of people were requesting that.

And I bet you would never guess what the least requested genre was.  It was rap/hip hop.

Oh, and FYI:  dance music falls under the "rave" genre.
Hm are you the DJ for the event? Or the previous DJ? Because honestly you seem to be getting pretty defensive about the subject. At least be professional enough to be polite and mature to potential listeners instead of bickering, and if not, why are you giving me such a hard time? Sorry if I offended you but I to be blunt I feel like I said everything relatively politely and in the form of a simple request, and if you're going to shit a brick every time somebody complains about your choices (which I will state again, I am not, simply basing off of what other people's complaints have been and making a inquiry about requests) you should prob get out of the spinning business since it should be obvious that it's impossible to please everyone. And actually Im pretty sure rave falls under the "dance" genre, not the other way around.

Dj Stormy Rayner

Atlus , i think you have to understand most DJs take the views on the Dance Music scene very very seriously. because alot of times some people have been uneducated on the genres of Dance Music and often say ''its not Music there are no vocals'' or ''its not music, its made with a computer'' and trust me those people are out there, its these people who very often refer to the electronic music as ''Rave'' or ''Techno'' when truthfully neither Rave or Techno is a genre... the term ''Rave'' is used to describe warehouse parties and Techno is a short term for the genre of ''Generic Techno'' which isn't ''Trance'' it isn't ''House'' nor is it ''Happy Hardcore'' its generic glitchy Techno the old school stuff from the late 80s and 90s.
and i don't know about Dj Reign but i get really get annoyed when people start saying ''Rave'' and ''Techno'' because frankly you have no idea what they are talking about, the Electronic Music scene has a vast variety of genres. its bigger than ''Techno'' and ''Rave'' so you have to describe it as Electronic Dance Music ''EDM'' makes it easier for the people your trying to talk to, thought i would share some thoughts.

Cheers,
Stormy Rayner @ http://www.myspace.com/djstormyrayner

kgHapa

Quote from: Dj Stormy Rayner on May 07, 2008, 06:53:17 PM
Atlus , i think you have to understand most DJs take the views on the Dance Music scene very very seriously. because alot of times some people have been uneducated on the genres of Dance Music and often say ''its not Music there are no vocals'' or ''its not music, its made with a computer'' and trust me those people are out there, its these people who very often refer to the electronic music as ''Rave'' or ''Techno'' when truthfully neither Rave or Techno is a genre... the term ''Rave'' is used to describe warehouse parties and Techno is a short term for the genre of ''Generic Techno'' which isn't ''Trance'' it isn't ''House'' nor is it ''Happy Hardcore'' its generic glitchy Techno the old school stuff from the late 80s and 90s.
and i don't know about Dj Reign but i get really get annoyed when people start saying ''Rave'' and ''Techno'' because frankly you have no idea what they are talking about, the Electronic Music scene has a vast variety of genres. its bigger than ''Techno'' and ''Rave'' so you have to describe it as Electronic Dance Music ''EDM'' makes it easier for the people your trying to talk to, thought i would share some thoughts.

Cheers,
Stormy Rayner @ http://www.myspace.com/djstormyrayner
I appreciate the response Rayner, but I think this is mostly just an error on the fault of miscommunication. Saying rave I meant more eurobeat and happy hardcore but I should have specified on my part. By no means did I intend to imply that I do not like or think down upon such genres of music, as a matter of fact I am a lover of all kinds of music and to be honest can't really think of a genre I specifically dislike, as a matter of fact if I can dance to it then I pretty much love it. Overall I just wanted to ask to see if there would be variety and not a dominance of only one specific type. Overall when it comes to dancing, music, and spinning I am a firm believer in just having fun and letting go, which is why I was so taken aback by the seemingly hostile response I received. Anyway long story short, I think we both just misunderstood each other's intentions and got a bit defensive and for the sake of the enjoyment of good music and fun dancing Im sorry if I offended anybody (and anyone who claims electronica isnt music is an idiot)

DJ Reign

Atlus,

I was not being hostile towards you, nor did you offend me.  I simply stated what were facts, did so in a polite manner, you misunderstood me and thought I was being unprofessional and getting defensive which I was not.

I, too, get very annoyed when people identify EDM as rave/techno, when it is clearly neither rave nor techno.   If you are trying to make a request, please be more specific.  If you had made this more clear, you would not have misunderstood me. 

Oh, and to answer your question, not only have I been a resident DJ at dance for 4 years, I am also the head of dance.

Thanks

kgHapa

Quote from: DJ Reign on May 07, 2008, 08:36:04 PM
Atlus,

I was not being hostile towards you, nor did you offend me.  I simply stated what were facts, did so in a polite manner, you misunderstood me and thought I was being unprofessional and getting defensive which I was not.

I, too, get very annoyed when people identify EDM as rave/techno, when it is clearly neither rave nor techno.   If you are trying to make a request, please be more specific.  If you had made this more clear, you would not have misunderstood me. 

Oh, and to answer your question, not only have I been a resident DJ at dance for 4 years, I am also the head of dance.

Thanks

Im not sure what "head of dance" exactly means, is this a specific title or do you mean for "the" dance...

*sigh* Im not gonna bother quoting our previous conversation but I will just say sarcastic tones are rarely professional or unoffensive, so to be honest Im done with this entire conversation since it obviously cant get past the point of pointing fingers. Dont worry, because clearly, as you just stated, this misunderstanding was completely on my part and in no way involved you  :D. Haha Im not sure what I said to fire you up so much but I'm just gonna drop it  since like I said earlier music and dancing is really just about having fun and I really want to avoid ruining that for you (or me for that matter, no sarcasm intended, seriously just relax a little and smile!). Later

chanocular

Guys...I look forward to the dance/rave every year and I'm super excited!!! :D

Dancing Lanza

Dance has always been my favorite thing about an anime convention <3
Breaking Circle =D  <3 <3
http://www.cosspace.com/DancingLanza
www.myspace.com/dancingL

I GOT A WEBCAM!! Hit me up on AIM if interested =D
or MSN~

chanocular

Yay for breaking circle!!!... annd I just bought my glow sticks today!!!

DJ Reign

Hey guys!

Here's what the schedule's looking like for Dance.  Please be advised these times are subject to change:

Friday

10:00-10:45 = Mel B. (80's/90's Funk)

10:45-11:30 = Dane O. (Breaks/Hardcore)

11:30-12:15 = Izzy (J-pop?)

12:15-1:00 = Giudecca (Drum'n'Bass)

1:00-2:00 = Reign (Trance/Hard Trance/Hardstyle) myspace.com/setsugekka

2:00-3:00 = Justin Hernandez (House/Tribal)

3:00-4:00 = Stormy Rayner (Trance/Psy Trance) myspace.com/djstormyrayner

Saturday

10:00-11:00 = Izzy

11:00-12:00 Giudecca

12:00-1:00 = Kid Whatever (Hard House/Breaks/J-pop/J-Trance)

1:00-2:00 = Reign

2:00-3:00 = Stormy Rayner

3:00-4:00 = Justin Hernandez

Sunday

10:00-10:45 = Dane O.

10:45-11:30 = Mel B.

11:30-12:15 = Stormy Rayner

12:15-1:00 = Izzy

1:00-2:00 = Giudecca

2:00-3:00 = Justin Hernandez

3:00-4:00 = Reign

The schedule will be posted just outside Dance as well.

See you Friday!  ;D

OniCourseMusha

I am so checking out Kid Whatever!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

SheikOfTwili

Wooohoo~

I've been to two cons but haven't gone to a dance. This will be my first...I'm sooo excited. I love dancin! n______________n!!!!!!

**Senkyuu** For posting the schedule =)

chanocular

Saturday night dance was kinda fun. My group and I tried to hand out as many glow sticks as we could. I was in the wifi shirt. =D

Kanchii

I didn't enjoy the music on Friday. Not all of it was bad, but it could have been a lot better, everyone I as with agreed. Lots of awkward pauses in the songs where you kinda have to stop dancing and just stand there for it to start pumping out beats that you can actually dance to again. I only stayed til 2 on Saturday, but the music was awesome.  ;D

questionette

WoooHoooooo
I HAD SOOO MUCH FUN
at saturday's rave

sunday's b&w ball was OK...getting asked to dance is always fun..buuut it was pretty AWKWARD lol

and sunday's rave was good too (hot professional dancers having a battle woo) but I was so dead after midnight I was a dancing zombie by then -_-

I think raving is a must for fanime attendees, it gives everyone a chance to lose all inhibitions and just have fun!
Plus the music is so awesome it make you want to keep going and going and going until you just can't anymore (= a good workout!)

Giudecca

Quote from: Kanchii on May 26, 2008, 02:24:32 PM
I didn't enjoy the music on Friday. Not all of it was bad, but it could have been a lot better, everyone I as with agreed. Lots of awkward pauses in the songs where you kinda have to stop dancing and just stand there for it to start pumping out beats that you can actually dance to again. I only stayed til 2 on Saturday, but the music was awesome.  ;D

Friday was a disaster... Whole buttload of technical problems, miscommunication and surprise setbacks just ruined the vibe.

Saturday and Sunday, though, completely made up for it. Great crowds, great music, great vibe both nights! Thanks to all that attended, this year was one to remember. =)

Kaura117

I have bruises from the rave.
This is not, in fact, a complaint.

Besides, it's my fault for rolling headfirst across the circle while wearing a hat that had a hard glowstick stuck through the brim lining. =D Good times, good times.

questionette

HAHAHAHAH kaura...

I didn't do THAT, but I almost couldn't stand up this morning because my calves are so sore from dancing D:

Kaura117

Quote from: questionette on May 26, 2008, 05:54:37 PM
HAHAHAHAH kaura...

I didn't do THAT, but I almost couldn't stand up this morning because my calves are so sore from dancing D:

Oh, same here. Well, DDR kinda "helped" in that regard. >_O

kay0ss