Cosplay help with giant sword

Started by Skylark, October 26, 2006, 08:30:14 PM

Skylark

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew any alternative ways to create oversized swords other than fiberglass, wood or cardboard. Any help would be very appreciated.

LinLinLucy

Quote from: "Skylark"Hi I was wondering if anyone knew any alternative ways to create oversized swords other than fiberglass, wood or cardboard. Any help would be very appreciated.

what kind of sword???

Demon-Z

Capt. Bob

Plastic sounds like your best bet aesteticaly, but financialy I'd go with foam.

AnnoyedWabbit

styrafoam or high-density blue insulation foam, covered in multiple coats of two-part epoxy and then painted. This makes a pretty light sword that's also pretty strong. The epoxy is messy but mostly non-toxic. No nasty fumes or anything.
Cosplay Fanime 2009:
Alcia Melchiott and Welkin Gunther (Valkyria Chronicles)
Can I actually finish this without a)failing out of my senior year and b)killing myself? Only time will tell.

Skylark

I've read up on some methods and hopefully they DO work.The only people I've ever seen cosplaying with over-sized weapons made theirs out of wood o_O

I had an idea but not sure if it would work, in place of epoxy I have some Polystyrene sheeting that's slightly thick so it should cover up most of it?

Kazuko

x: if your talking about woods I think many props are made with Basalsa wood~ since it's what i heard from a friend

but plastic is your best bet since foam will break

platinum edge

Just an idea but foam and paper mache may be an idea that you might want to try out.
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

KimaLucifer

The foam thingie with paper on the outerside :3

I made my Rena butcherknife out of one :3
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Attackthbloo

foam and some sort of harden clay to make a smooth finish.

Skylark

Wow.Didn't think that many people would reply.Well hopefully I can get something done soon... cons not far off now... >.>;

Thanks for all the input. ^^

Moonblossom

Quote from: "AnnoyedWabbit"styrafoam or high-density blue insulation foam, covered in multiple coats of two-part epoxy and then painted. This makes a pretty light sword that's also pretty strong. The epoxy is messy but mostly non-toxic. No nasty fumes or anything.

They may not make blatant bad smells or visible fumes, but mixing two-part epoxy and styrofoam can still make you ill, so you should really do it in a very well-ventilated area, or outside if possible.