$$$$

Started by SilverStarboy, November 07, 2006, 06:21:14 PM

SilverStarboy

on average, I was wondering what most people bring with them? Im not talking about food or hotel costs either. Ive been to Anime Mid Atlantic which is in the area I live in(Virginia), but I always went for one day instead of the whole weekend. I am trying to decide about how much to save. I already have costs for the airline ticket and hotel. Help would be much appreciated.
Dragon of the Wind

[size=25]風[/size]

VictimX

It verys from person to person but I would say save all that you can that way you have alot to spend and if you don't buy much you'll still have money after the convention, you can't lose.  :D

MonkeyRikku

Last year I spent over 200 bucks on about the first day alone, but I went out and bought special edition boxed sets and games and soundtracks. And plushies...and keychains. either way, save a couple hundred, you'll need it.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

Not_A_Shrimp

I only spent $90, but thats because i was being stingy. i also begged for money from my friends and gained an extra $10. but if you go the last day, things are alot cheaper, although all, or some of the good things you see on the first day aren't there anymore. i would sudjest going on a day where alot of the stuff you would like to do is happening, so that way more entertainm,ent and less chances of spending money...buuuttt its not always that case. i would agree with a few hundered dollars even if it isn't necessary, but it still wouldn't hurt to bring. also you may get hungry..>>...
Your avatar and signature were too big. Please read the avatar/sig guidelines.

Shi_Musouka

Total costs from my stay at Fanime 2006: A little over $225

The total costs for food and rooms for 3 1/2 days were $60, but only because I split the room with several other roomates and I was exempt from paying for the first night. I spent about $175+ on merch and arcades total(I try to do all my shopping on Friday and Monday because the best merch is only avaliable on Friday and Monday has the discounts). Some people spend more than this.

So... yea. It varies among most people, depending on your plans. If you're splitting a hotel room cost with friends, the hotel costs should be cheaper. Most of my friends only brought about $75 - $120 for a hotel stay.

VictimX

Total price on the fun people have at FanimeCon, priceless for somethings in life you need cash for other things in life being there is enough, FanimeCon.

Kazuko

x: it does vary but i didnt spend much either and that was cause some girls stole my money D:

and its best to bring your own food from home like non-perishables to save moneys cause it gets pricey eating there~

but its best to have money after con X3

Shi_Musouka

Quote from: "VictimX"Total price on the fun people have at FanimeCon, priceless for somethings in life you need cash for other things in life being there is enough, FanimeCon.

*nods* True.

(dammit! why didn't I think of that?)

MonkeyRikku

thats only if you feel the need to actually eat everyday. I survived on \Pocky and energy drinks with the occasional hour or so of sleep.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

Kaori

I spent 400. But I made sure I spent stuff I couldn't get anywhere else. So, they're all rare and imported stuff. That amount includes the amount of Starbucks I drank, and the 2 am run to Jack in the Box....

Just the experience was enough for me. If I didn't bring money with me, I would be sad, but after the weekend, I had so much fun just hanging with people I wouldn't mind coming broke!
Current Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Watanabe Kanako- Star Driver
Ayuzawa Misaki- Kaichou wa Maid-sama

Kyokun

I usually bring about $300.  This does not include hotel, but does include food.

Jehuty

Yeah, $250-350 I'd say is a pretty safe assumption...
PRO-DUB
ENGLISH, Mother%@#!-er, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

ip136

If I don't include the hotel costs, my first Fanime I spent almost $600.
The next was more or less around $300, and this last one, I technically spent about $150.
Sometimes, it can be overwhelming to come to a convention you've never been to for the first time. I would suggest, to try to save up to $300, but be aware, that if you've been here, you might get the 'con' bite and go off with haywire spending.

But yes.. I would suggest about $300 just in case. . . but more is always better. ~.^
Clicky my Art Pwease?

FanFicGuru

You figure the following breakdown:

Room- (Double Double being split four ways) 105 for the weekend

Food (Starting with Friday Lunch)- I usually go with about 35 dollars/day. That allows for a 10 dollar breakfast and lunch, and 15 dollar dinner, granted you have change from earlier you would probably have a little more than 15 for dinner. Of course, if you just shovel crap into your system like McDonalds everyday, chances are food is more like 15 dollars a day.

Stuff- Of course this changes from person to person. If this is your first con, one of two things will happen: Either you'll spend close to nothing, or you'll spend EVERYTHING! Although, typically the case is the former. Enjoy the time looking around Fanime and going to all the events and panels and stuff. I would recommend for a first time goer to bring 100 dollars for stuff.

So, 105+(60-140)+100=265-345

A large variable is your 'food' diet. After last year I've resolved to eat better this year. I think there's a subway around the convention center somewhere, so I'll be eating there instead of McDonalds 24/7...

I'll be bringing 1000 this year...Rawk on.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Snow Ninja

Well I can't remember the exact number, but I believe I brought somewhere in the neighborhood of about $400 last year? Somewhere around there. Anyways, my left-over money was somehwhere around $50, so yea, you're only going to need about $350. I've also taken into account food, but no Hotel.

SuperKawaiiNeko

Leftover money?! You fail at con =O

I kid. Money is quite a malleable commodity at cons. Once registration, lodgings, and food are taken care of, there isnt a whole lot else you need to pay for.

This is where the dealers room comes in. It is very easy to spend a large amount of money there, but dont take that to mean you NEED a large amount. You can spend significantly less and still walk away with a good amount of decent swag. One year a friend and I went to AX with about a grand for spending. We went nuts, obviously, and Im pretty sure we came home with extra. On the other hand, that was pretty much a one time thing. I usually come to fanime with between 150-250 in cash for spending, and I still walk away with good stuff, sometimes with extra in my pocket.

One last thing. If you want to get the most out of your money, dont just hit the dealers room. Make sure you also go to the artists alley, and (if possible) the swap meet. The swap meet in particular has some fantastic deals.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

phoenixphire24

If you make a hotel reservation through Fanime, they have the prices listed, so you can figure out about how much you'll need to save for that. I save up about $150 for food (and alcohol).

As for "stuff," a good way to estimate is to look around online and figure out what you'll want to buy when you're there (wall scrolls, certain box sets, manga, CDs, etc). That should give you an idea of how much you'll need to save up. You can usually get some deals on the items there, you'll have a bit left over for those items you didn't know you needed.

Depending on how much you're planning on buying, $500 is a good bet (that includes hotel).

Snow Ninja

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Leftover money?! You fail at con =O

;_;

:: cries in corner ::

There wasn't anything else that really caught my eye. Besides, I might've had less!

Ayanami Rei First Child

Not everything is worth buying at Fanime. There's some stuff that's overpriced....like that 10-15% off "sales"!! At the local comic shop where I live a REAL sale is 25-30% off!! That's back issues AND graphic novels. Then there's times when you want something, but they don't have it, or by the time you decide you want something...it's gone. >.<

FanFicGuru

Rei makes a good point.

Keep in mind while you're at the con that deepdiscountdvd.com carries a lot of anime box sets for 60-80 bucks, or less. Evangelion Platinum thinpak's going for 55 at the moment. In any case, there are lots of places to get better prices on stuff.

Here are a few things that typically are good to buy at Fanime:

Wall Scrolls- Especially near the end when they're selling 2 for 20 and you can haggle with some dealers.

Figures/Collectibles- Stuff like Cels and figures are about the same price as you'd find anywhere else, sometimes they have sales on the sets.

Shirts/Apparel- Stuff like bags and shirts sometimes have good deals going at Fanime. Or are difficult enough to find otherwise that being able to just pick up a particular shirt saves you time enough to be worth it.

Soundtracks- Anyone who collects soundtracks know that they're expensive no matter how you go about it. Sometimes they have good deals on the soundtracks at fanime, so keep an eye out.

Here are a few things that are NOT good to buy at Fanime:

Manga- Chances are you have a Barnes and Noble or Borders card which entitles you to either 10 percent off (at BN) or 5% off and 5% of your purchase getting stored away in store credit (at borders). Of course, there's always additional sales going on too like buy 4 get the 5th free, or the occasional buy 2 get the 3rd free. Both of which can help you greatly expand your manga collection at a very small price (6 volumes of naruto for 30 dollars? Yes please.) Unless you stumble across very good prices or very obscure titles, Manga isn't a good buy.

DVDs- Tempting as it is to rush in and pick up a box set, chances are you'll get robbed blind in the Dealers Hall. Going back to the deepdiscountdvd.com example again...last year I was walking around the dealers hall and came across a box set. I forgot the title of the series, but I was interested in it at the time. It seemed like a decent price too, about 20 bucks cheaper than typical retail price. Score, right? Well, I decided to wait, hoping for a better sale, and went web-surfing that night. Coming across deepdiscountdvd.com I found that same box set for another 40 dollars off the price I saw IN THE DEALERS HALL! (with no shipping fee. Ground shipping is free on deepdiscountdvd.com.) This is what will happen 9 out of 10 times. Often times they'll try to charge 25 bucks per DVD at the dealers hall. You can get them for 17 to 20 elsewhere. Good DVD buys are few and very far between.

In any case, that's about all the advice I have to give. Hope it helps.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015