Dance Praise (PLEASE READ BEFORE JUDGING!)

Started by zoupzuop2, November 21, 2006, 12:32:37 PM

zoupzuop2

Hey guys. Using the library computers again...

...so, a long time ago I emailed Digital Praise, the makers of Dance Praise (the Christian DDR spinoff) with some critiques and compliments as to the game, and offered to lend some songs as an "in-game" artist. For a while there was no response.

Then the design head of the studio emails me, asking for feedback on their next revision. I kid you not. They have asked me to give feedback on what I think would make Dance Praise even better, and what would make my ideal dance game. I take it that, from this, they're trying to connect their game with the "DDR Crowd" and like players who are already familiar with dance games.

...wow.

...yeah, just felt like getting that out.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

LadyKaren

Heh. I remember when we were talking about this. They probabaly want your opionin because you're the only one who offered your opinion about it before.

zoupzuop2

You make a good point, Karen. I'd imagine they don't get a lot of DDR/Bemani veterans with as much IN-PUT, persay, as much as IN-SULTS for being a "DDR Knockoff".

If any of you play Bemani or DDR games, is there something that you'd like to see in another dance game, if it came out? Keep in mind that the current songlist is basically Rock, Hip Hop and the like, all Christian (This means that Eurobeat is still up for grabs~), and the features are few. Whatever you could throw into another dance game that isn't in either DDR, ITG or PIU (or even if it IS and there's just tool little of it), by all means, spill it out! This could turn out to be one of the few Christian games that isn't that bad after all.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

deepbluevibes

zoupzuop2

Ohhh yeah. I think I know the one. Dance Dance Ressurection?

Yeah. That one's pretty harsh. It IS a funny idea though. Dance Praise is not like that.

MonkeyRikku

Havign a christian based game might be a bit offensive to people, non christians to be specific. I'm not sayign you're wrong for suggesting it, but some people might get annoyed by religeous flaunting or hearing jesus jesus while dancing to J-pop and J-rock.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

neko ewen

I've heard of this game, but only in Seanbaby's EGM article about weird stuff he spotted at E3, and then he said that the Christian version of anything is always worse than the regular version. I don't find either his comment or the game itself offensive though. To me it's more silly than anything, but I won't begrudge anyone an innocent game that they enjoy.

Left Behind: Eternal Forces, however, is a whole other matter.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "MonkeyRikku"Havign a christian based game might be a bit offensive to people, non christians to be specific. I'm not sayign you're wrong for suggesting it, but some people might get annoyed by religeous flaunting or hearing jesus jesus while dancing to J-pop and J-rock.

Hence, a lack of an arcade mix as of the current time.
Besides, having a game that says the name of Jesus doesn't infringe on their right to say anything else. Now, if it DID say it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN (which, by my recollection, it doesn't), it'd be annoying even by my OWN standards (I am, after all, a DDR player all the same).
Also, why is having a game with Jesus' name in it any more offensive than a game that has... basically any song from the artist E-Rotic, or the rest of the DDR songs that openly sware, or refer to sex openly? Seriously, since when was a religious figure (apparently, Jesus in specific) more offensive than making orgasm noises in the middle of a song (Half of the songs by E-Rotic, Sexy Aliens...)? And yet people have no problem with THAT.

IF there were offense, then it's backwards and immensely hypocritical.

'sides, it'd be interesting to see if someone could pull Christian J-Pop (or something to a close extent) off. I'm aware that Spiritsnare is pretty scared of the concept, though, if I recall right. ( ;) I jest.)

MonkeyRikku

Quote from: zoupzuop2
Quote from: MonkeyRikkuHavign a christian based game might be a bit offensive to people, non christians to be specific. I'm not sayign you're wrong for suggesting it, but some people might get annoyed by religeous flaunting or hearing jesus jesus while dancing to J-pop and J-rock.

Hence, a lack of an arcade mix as of the current time.
Besides, having a game that says the name of Jesus doesn't infringe on their right to say anything else. Now, if it DID say it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN (which, by my recollection, it doesn't), it'd be annoying even by my OWN standards (I am, after all, a DDR player all the same).
Also, why is having a game with Jesus' name in it any more offensive than a game that has... basically any song from the artist E-Rotic, or the rest of the DDR songs that openly sware, or refer to sex openly? Seriously, since when was a religious figure (apparently, Jesus in specific) more offensive than making orgasm noises in the middle of a song (Half of the songs by E-Rotic, Sexy Aliens...)? And yet people have no problem with THAT.

IF there were offense, then it's backwards and immensely hypocritical.

'sides, it'd be interesting to see if someone could pull Christian J-Pop (or something to a close extent) off. I'm aware that Spiritsnare is pretty scared of the concept, though, if I recall right. ( ;) I jest.)

I'm not being hypcritical as far as I can see, I'm just saying that if a game/company/person started trying to tell me which faith to follow, I would be serverly pissed. And I will straight up say that I would be upset if it showed up at Fanime.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

zoupzuop2

Ahhhh. I get it now! I've misunderstood.

*I didn't mean to claim that YOU were hypocritical. I meant that the offense towards a faith-based game and not towards one that frequently contains (loud!) references to sex is hypocritical. The offense may come from any individual or a whole group, but does not connotate that either the individual or group is hypocritical themselves. My apologies if I've offended with the misunderstanding.

*No, I'm not suggesting that Dance Praise end up at Fanime. While I'd personally find it kind'a cool, I do have respect for other faiths (unlike how I may appear 0_o), and bringing it to Fanime would not only be foolish, but --agreed-- offensive.

*The game isn't quite to "push" a specific faith, persay, or so I figure. It appears that it's more for a specific audience (Christians), although it appears to be trying to give leway for veteran dance game players, which is a phenomenal idea. Besides, isn't it the point of almost all religions to spread their news across the land? This is just a way to "reach" the dance game crowd, if you will.