Creating armor

Started by Skylark, November 30, 2006, 03:27:01 PM

Skylark

Does anyone happen to know of a relatively cost-efficient and productive method of creating armor? (like teh Sesshy armor'n stuff)

Ska_Kitti

Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

arcadiapandora

If you're really looking to have nice looking armor, I wouldn't go with paper mache. Of all the paper mache armor I've seen, it's always looked rigged and bumpy.

If you're not making a relatively huge armor piece, you could go with Wonderflex, since a quarter of a sheet wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

You could also go the completely ghetto route and make things out of 2 liter soda bottles and cardboard. :P
<3

Ska_Kitti

If you layer the paper mache enough, you can sand it down. :] Wonerflex is a miracle in it's own category though. I love that stuff.
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

~~Loktera~~

I'm cursious about this myself... Do you guys know of any online tutorials or how-to's to make armor of that sort?

I've never done it, but I've seen it done somewhere. I'd like to get into doing it so I can work on a few anime-ish costumes for Halloween next year.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

arcadiapandora

If you search the forums at cosplay.com you're bound to find a few really good tutorials on making armor.

This is a really good FAQ sorta guide I got from cosplay.com, so credit to whoever's it is:
http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/wonderflex/WonderflexFAQ.html

It gives some quick know how about Wonderflex, though not necessarily step by step construction. It also has some tips for making armor pieces, such as foams, etc.

But like I said, give the forums over at cosplay.com a look, and you might find a tutorial for the armor piece you're making specifically.
<3

ShikiIchijo

Duct Tape. My friend her armor out of that for her Lord Fluffy costume. Sadly she didnt have a digital camera.
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

Ska_Kitti

I was roaming cosplay.com's forums, when I came upon this lady's Rikku cosplay where she uses cardboard, craft foam, tape, paper mache and acrylic paint to do her work:

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=58829&member=41723

I know there are more tutorials online, but this was convenient and kind of dropped itself in my lap. :]

I know sanding down paper mache works. There is the task of layering it. It doesn't weigh so much, that's for certain.
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay