Too skimpy?

Started by Devi 1313, December 09, 2006, 08:24:06 PM

Devi 1313

Ok, before I get started on my costume how skimpy is too skimpy? One of my costumes is Lucy from Elfen Lied, but from the first episode where she's just wearing the creepy helmet. No, I won't be naked, but I was planning on wearing flesh colored shorts with a matching tube bra wrapped in gauze bandages. Does this sound acceptable or do you guys think I'd get pulled aside?
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

KimaLucifer

I dunno. Is it not possible to do the character more recognizable? :X

I personally think the fun of cosplay is the makeup part :X
It should be okay as long as you`re actually not showing off your real skin;
however you have to tell yourself little kids will be around in the con too and if you think that your cosplay has even the slightest possibility of being some bad influence to the child, then I suggest you don`t do it.
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Devi 1313

Hmm, I'd be showing my midriff, arms and legs but as far as "naughty bits" I'd be covered. There's other recognisable ways of cosplaying her but I've never seen this variation (and it's the most memorable one) so I wanted to give it a go. It could be seen as a little "scary", but it wouldn't be as scary as those Silent Hill cosplayers were this year!
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley

Moonblossom

I think so long as you keep what my friend jokingly refers to as her "bathing suit bits" covered, you should be alright. And a tasteful bathing suit at that. None of this string bikini nonsense ;P

Asa_Gohan

dont mean to sound perverted but you can always post a picture of the clothes you choose  so we can critique it so you can change the clothing around if needed.

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

AngelKawaii

Mu suggestion to you is this: ask the hall cosplay staff if it is acceptable or not. Also, if you are not sure about it then most likely it is something you should not do. But, you should deffinetly ask the staff.

Devi 1313

Ok, since I don't actually have any of the costume yet I just have a poorly edited pic:
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley

Asa_Gohan

yeah i know what she looked like. Man it was brutal how many people she killed int he first 5 minutes. 25 people >.>

Ska_Kitti

You might need to do your cosplay in the evening, maybe after 6 or 7pm. If you went to Fanime a couple years ago, you might remember the Chocolat/Tira cosplayers. :] Excellent costumes, big controversy.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

crystori neko

as hall cosplay I really wouldn't reccomend it unless it was later in the night, and even then that is dangerious. there ARE pervs. but I'd suggest a body suit, it would look more uniform and be a little safer I should think. good luck

Devi 1313

No, last year was my first year at Fanime. What did their costumes look like? I'm not familiar with Chocolat or Tira.

So you guys don't think the tube top and shorts are a good idea? The shorts wouldn't be so short that my cheeks hang out, and I would wear extra undies underneath (extra stuff under the top, too). I think I remember a cat girl last year who wore like a regular bikini top, I'd be more covered than that! What about a white tube top and shorts?
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley

deepbluevibes

(removed per privacy policy)

Ska_Kitti

Google up "manga bakuretsu hunter chocolat tira" and that's what you get. Suspenders and a smile. :] They came out into broad daylight and walked around the convention center scaring parents and other con goers.

Any costume is a good one. :] Just make sure that you don't have a line of staff members following you with a towel to drape you in (not literally) if you startle guests. Your costume plan is fine. Just be careful of fanboys and fangirls.
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Moonblossom

Quote from: "Nana"No, last year was my first year at Fanime. What did their costumes look like? I'm not familiar with Chocolat or Tira.

So you guys don't think the tube top and shorts are a good idea? The shorts wouldn't be so short that my cheeks hang out, and I would wear extra undies underneath (extra stuff under the top, too). I think I remember a cat girl last year who wore like a regular bikini top, I'd be more covered than that! What about a white tube top and shorts?
Honestly, short-shorts and a tube top sounds fine, to me. I mean, you can see people in less than that on the street. There's a difference between skimpy for the sake of a costume and being tasteless...

If you really are worried though, your best bet would be to ask a hall staff member, they would know for sure, better than our guesses.

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: "Nana"It could be seen as a little "scary", but it wouldn't be as scary as those Silent Hill cosplayers were this year!

They were afraid of me. >_> lol

Asa_Gohan

ill make it easier look up sorcerer hunters. Best manga ive ever read <3 but theyre looks changed so drastically when they go all mistress >.<

Ska_Kitti

Bakuretsu, Sorcerer, whatever works, right? Watching the sisters change is scary. >_>
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Devi 1313

O.o I see what you guys mean about chocolat/tira.

Ok, I think I'll be covered up enough, but if they don't like it I'll bring a white men's dress shirt or a tank top and green shorts JIC so I can do a different variation. I might only wear it one day (unless the latex for my Etna costume is too unbearable ><). I don't personally think it's too skimpy but I know some people (not necessarily staffers) get their knickers in a twist if a girl's navel is showing.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley