Fanime rec room

Started by otakuya, February 12, 2007, 07:11:13 PM

otakuya

How about this for an idea? A game room for not just video games, arcade games, or tabletop games, but for parlor/social games!
Includes:
-pool tables
-table tennis tables
-air hockey tables
-foozball tables
-pinball machines (um...actually an arcade machine...)
-dart board (magnetic, not sharp pointy objects)
-shuffleboard
-putting greens
-jukebox
-others

(crazy idea?)

otakuapprentice

well, seeing as how there was so much space leftover in the arcade room last year, maybe that space can be used for this little idea. it is a "gaming" room after all.

i propose that one night during fanime, a bunch of us should go into the gaming room and use that empty space and play a round of dodgeball. it could so totally work!!
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "otakuapprentice"i propose that one night during fanime, a bunch of us should go into the gaming room and use that empty space and play a round of dodgeball. it could so totally work!!

Could...if you had some kind of barrier to keep the dodgeball from ever touching the arcade machines.

Long story short? There's a park riiiiiiiiight outside the con. Use it.
epic progressive

vox

deepbluevibes

(removed per privacy policy)

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
Quote from: "otakuapprentice"i propose that one night during fanime, a bunch of us should go into the gaming room and use that empty space and play a round of dodgeball. it could so totally work!!

Could...if you had some kind of barrier to keep the dodgeball from ever touching the arcade machines.

but theres so much space!!

if we play dodgeball on the back wall of the room(the one at the bottom of the pic), it can easily avoid hitting any, and all of the machines. or it could be played on the left wall, avoiding the machines altogether.

it is a pretty fricking big-ass room. it COULD be done. but there are so many liability issues, that it only has a very small chance of it actually being pulled off.

p.s.  my apologies for using the fanime letter font. i say this just in case i somehow wind up in trouble for using it.

Ska_Kitti

^_^ You forgot Tabletop Gaming, yo. We're in the same room as the other gamers this year.

EDIT: If it were to go off, you'd have to find ways to get the right gaming equipment in. It's hard enough to rent the Arcade machines in. You may have to deal with alot of personal property issues. Good luck though.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

G.I.R

Quote from: "otakuapprentice"

if we play dodgeball on the back wall of the room(the one at the bottom of the pic), it can easily avoid hitting any, and all of the machines. or it could be played on the left wall, avoiding the machines altogether.

it is a pretty fricking big-ass room. it COULD be done. but there are so many liability issues, that it only has a very small chance of it actually being pulled off.

p.s.  my apologies for using the fanime letter font. i say this just in case i somehow wind up in trouble for using it.

But where would the Swap-Meet be?  :?

Tony

Quote from: "otakuapprentice"p.s.  my apologies for using the fanime letter font. i say this just in case i somehow wind up in trouble for using it.
Someone had fun with sofachrome... :lol:

That aside, if you want to risk losing your badge and/or getting tasered, give it a shot. I wouldn't!  :P
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

otakuapprentice

the swap meet would probably be in the same spot it was last year, along the right wall. since the swap meet was only for two nights(thurs. & fri.) last year, it could still be done without conflicting with each other.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Tony"That aside, if you want to risk losing your badge and/or getting tasered...

Whoa, Fanime had a budget for tasers this year?!

THAT'S AWESOME. And slightly scary.
epic progressive

vox

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "Tony"
Quote from: "otakuapprentice"p.s.  my apologies for using the fanime letter font. i say this just in case i somehow wind up in trouble for using it.
Someone had fun with sofachrome... :lol:

That aside, if you want to risk losing your badge and/or getting tasered, give it a shot. I wouldn't!  :P
o...kay.

well, maybe not dodgeball(as much as that would rock), but what about a ping-pong table? that would seem somewhat reasonable.

whoever heard of someone going into a coma from getting hit by a ping-pong ball?

ININ

Someone did Cosplay Dodgeball  :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNeVuBI0RZg

How about we play Indoor Flag Football?  I'm getting flags for Capture the Flag  :)

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "Otakuya"How about this for an idea? A game room for not just video games, arcade games, or tabletop games, but for parlor/social games!
Includes:
-pool tables
-air hockey tables
-jukebox
Those would be awesome. XD

And to avoid the pieces being walked off with, they could have a check-out booth where they hold onto your id or something when you check stuff out.

At least the jukebox. XD And we need to put all kinds of awesome anime songs/ OSTs and jrock/jpop.... on it.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

alkaline

I totally support the ideas of ping pong, air-hockey and whatever else you can think of.

Anything to eat up more space in the arcade area really. Maybe then you won't have to risk getting nailed by a frisbee on your way to play a game ;o

SuperKawaiiNeko

.......!

SHIT! Thats the best idea ever and I am PISSED that I never thought of it before!

We need to have a late night round of Fanime Capture the Flag! And for flags we'll use awesome anime paraphernalia! You *KNOW* you want to play Capture the Wallscroll and Haruhi's Armband! XD
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

otakuya

I just thought about it when I remembered there were ping pong, pool, and foozball (sp?) tables at the SJSU bowling alley. I only really go there for the arcade anyways.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Just be careful with Hockey Pucks. Those things can go flying off the table ^^;;

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "otakuapprentice"
Quote from: "Spiritsnare"

This is what I get for lurking on the Hotel forum instead of wandering around more often...

There are several changes in the works for Hall #3 this year...

There will be more gaming machines, but this year we are going to trying placing them in pods, four to a pod around the electric outlet in the ground, which should buffer them from each other, hopefully reducing the noise bleed over.

Console gaming will in fact be in three areas like last year and the vending machine will be against the front wall like last year, but hopefully more of them.  I would like to see more C2, high energy drinks and more snack machines too.

However, table top gaming is moving into Hall #3 and will be in the back of the room.

The Aracade people will be bringing an air hockey game again...

In a couple of weeks, there is suppose to be on the web site for FanimeCon, a polling page containing all the games that OCE will be offering and you can choice which ones will be there.  Call it the top 20 games and a couple of repeats.

There also needs to be open areas for food services too.

The reason for all the open areas and 'wasted space' is because of the stink factor, which in past years has been overpowering to say the least.

Does that help everyone understand what we are planning for Hall #3?

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Ayanami Rei First Child

Wow! There might be a chance for me to shoot a little pool! That's really cool, along with beating people in a good old fashioned game of Air Hockey. :twisted:

HentaiTentacleDemon

so, i'm guessing that the arcade is gonna be sealed off from the public again this year...