What are those dolls called?

Started by rock_lee_stalker_*stalks*, February 18, 2007, 11:54:49 AM

Kiba

Latching onto this rather than making a seperate thread, but is an Obitsu doll the same thing as a Dollfie. I'm pretty much a complete newbie to this whole scene but I've been interested in it ever since I saw the dolls that were being sold at Fanime 2 years ago.

Anyway, any info on helping me sort all this out would be greatly appreciated since googled websites pretty much assume you know the different names for everything. Also, that website link was extremely wonderful!

Edit: As an extra add on, I guess to make it more specific is what I'm looking for is customizable dolls, so I can make it look like my own character. I think where I'm getting thrown off is the sites I'm visiting seel the dolls in packages to make them look like a specific doll which isn't what I'm looking for.
Not funny...:(

Megumi

Well, dollfies and obitsus are different. Dollfie only refers to the BJDs manufactured by the company volks. It's a common mistake to refer to other BJDs as dollfies. Obitsu is a manufactuterer of bjds that rivals Volks. Both companies have customizable dolls where you can change the head, the feet, the hands, and I believe some of the other parts. You can even fit dolls from one company onto bodies from other companies and vice versa. You can buy dollsthat have uprooted hair which means the hair is already on it or you can buy ones that don't have hair, which means you can buy different wigs for it. There are some that have eye holes and you can put in different acrylic eyes using eye puddy or there's the ones where you can either paint on the eyes yourself or stick on Anime-ish eye decals. The bodies can also be bought unpainted where you can paint it yourself or you can buy them already painted with a skin color (they usually come in like 3-4 different colors).

Moonblossom

Obitsus are vinyl, with internal skeleton structures, as are Volks "Dollfie Dream". Super Dollfies (and other asian ball-jointed dolls) are made of resin, with elastic stringing inside. They've got similar characteristics, but are fairly different types of doll.

Vinyl dolls are generally a fair bit less expensive, and a bit more tolerant of abuse, but they're not usually as "refined" looking as resin dolls. They don't have the heavy weight or the transluscent skin, but they are lighter and more resilient.

www.junkyspot.com (and their forums) are excellent resources for buying Obitsus, as well as a few resin dolls, and www.denofangels.com is a great site for information about resin dolls, with a bit of info about vinyl ones. They don't sell anything on DoA though, it's information and a forum community.

If you're looking for something to simply have fun with and customize to your needs, a vinyl doll might work for you, but if you're looking for the very refined and detailed ones with the hard bodies, you're probably going to want a resin one.

There are also a lot fewer heads available for vinyl dolls, and only a few body types. Whereas with resin dolls, since there are so many companies who make them, there are hundreds of sculpts available.

I personally prefer the vinyl dolls, since I am clumsy and afraid of dropping things, and I can't carry heavy things for long periods. But it's a matter of preference and budget, really.

SuperKawaiiNeko

I personally think the vast vast majority of dolls of this nature are creepy, myself ^_^0

Why dont they make customisable plushies? XD
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Kiba

The more I look at them, the more beautiful I think they are. Some of those dolls are absolutely gorgeous!

And thank you so much for the info, and the sites MoonBlossom, they've led to alot of other sites which were also extremely useful. I've always been extremely detail oriented so I think a resin doll might be best for me, but it's still all a bit confusing. At first I thought one bought a body and then a blank head to go with it and after that customized the head with a wig, eyes, make-up, etc. But the more I'm looking it seems you buy the whole doll exactly as it is. Which is weird since the whole point of the dolls seems to be to make the doll exactly how you want it. I'm still trying to sort it out, but it's a little irritating since I can easily find seperate female bodies and heads but practicelly nothing on male seperates.

Well anywho, just my rambling on. Maybe it'll just be easier once I get to Fanime and see what it being sold there. I usually do better when I can see something physically right before me. Of course, I'm going to have to wait until after December to even buy one anyway, so I've got time. XD
Not funny...:(

rock_lee_stalker_*stalks*

aw man.. since i missed fanime, my friend told me they were selling obitsu's and i tottally was bummed!!! *cries...* i've always wanted an obitsu...
if i am sad, make me happy, if im happy, make me sad

Chihiro

I saw this big doll stand at Fanime last year.. I didn't really get it, and I just recently got into the Dollfie-Obitsu thing.

Should I buy them online, or wait a WHOLE YEAR to see the dolls live?
I'm thinking of buying an Obitsu (I can actually afford it) and a head without hair already on it.
on my way to steal yo gurls
Fanimaid Cafe Department Second Head