How to wear a kimono

Started by Touya no Miko, February 18, 2007, 03:45:09 PM

Touya no Miko

I was thinking that there should be a how to wear a kimono panel. Putting on a kimono might be a bit difficult for begginers, so maybe we should have one. Though I don't know anyone who would be able to host it.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Lizchan33

I know how to put a Yukata on but not a Kimono.... That would be interesting to learn but most people want to put yukatas on rather than the more complex kimonos....

Tama

I would go! Yukata and Kimono, but it would be more fun to actually put people in them!  I know people who can put on yukata... or at least I've seen her in one...  Maybe there's someone at the Japan town community center place?
taaaa DAAAAA! I LIVE!!!!

Minagi-chan

I'd attend this, if you can get it together.  I watched my friend Ayaka get ready for a cultural fair once...  gosh.  Too complex for me.  @_@
<3 Miss Coquine <3
We slip and slide as we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough.

Lizchan33

I wish I knew someone that knows about kimonos more.  My friend Misato already went back to Japan so she can't help, but I can help with the Yukata part since I do know that much.

Tama

How would we send out a general shout out for kimono assistance?  Things in the universe maybe?
taaaa DAAAAA! I LIVE!!!!

Lizchan33

Quote from: "Tama"How would we send out a general shout out for kimono assistance?  Things in the universe maybe?

That would a good idea if the higher-ups ok this!!!
I will do the Yukata portion if no one else if no one else is knowledgable in it.

Lizchan33

Is someone going to send a suggestion?
I will if necessary (ie no one else does)

Lizchan33

If no one decides on doing this I'll plan for it next year :3

Moonblossom

>< I'd volunteer to do a bit on kimono dressing, but unfortunately I'm going to be working a booth for the entire con. I may sneak out for a few minutes to check out this panel if I can, but there's no way I could get away for long enough to actually demonstrate anything T_T

Lizchan33

If this goes through (i.e. Me doing it) It would be a super short panel, lasting an hour or less....

We would talk about:

• The difference between yukatas and kimonos(Yukatas are kimonos but kimonos are not all yukatas xDDD )
  • How Yukatas are put on
  • How to tie the obi
  • How to fold a Yukata
  • Q&A
You think this would be good?

EDIT: I added a topic

Lizchan33

I've sent the request in for this panel and hopefully will find out about the status soon.
I would like it if anyone that knows about kimonos yukatas and as well as how to wear them or other details to let me know if they want to help me any... such as telling me about it or helping with the panel at the convention.

You can message me on here or via my email, [email protected] .

Another thing.... should I make another topic on this?
Probably not ehhh? ^_^;;;;

Lizchan33

Quote from: "Lizchan33"I've sent the request in for this panel and hopefully will find out about the status soon.
I would like it if anyone that knows about kimonos yukatas and as well as how to wear them or other details to let me know if they want to help me any... such as telling me about it or helping with the panel at the convention.

You can message me on here or via my email, [email protected] .

Another thing.... should I make another topic on this?
Probably not ehhh? ^_^;;;;

This panel is offical now!
It'll be held on Sunday at 4pm.
If anyone has questions or needs details please message me here or at my email.

BunofGovt

Quote from: "Lizchan33"If this goes through (i.e. Me doing it) It would be a super short panel, lasting an hour or less....

We would talk about:

• The difference between yukatas and kimonos(Yukatas are kimonos but kimonos are not all yukatas xDDD )
  • How Yukatas are put on
  • How to tie the obi
  • How to fold a Yukata
  • Q&A

Are you going to talk about what goes on underneath? :wink:

I know I've seen several books on kimonos, but would appreciate actually seeing a demonstration of someone being robed in a kimono and a yukata so we can see how it's actually done.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Lizchan33

Quote from: "BunofGovt"
Quote from: "Lizchan33"If this goes through (i.e. Me doing it) It would be a super short panel, lasting an hour or less....

We would talk about:

• How Yukatas are put on
  • How to tie the obi
  • How to fold a Yukata
  • Q&A

Are you going to talk about what goes on underneath? :wink:

I know I've seen several books on kimonos, but would appreciate actually seeing a demonstration of someone being robed in a kimono and a yukata so we can see how it's actually done.

I will be showing how a Yukata is put on but I actually don't have a Kimono. I put a message on the general con discussion board seeing if anyone had a kimono, but only one person replyed. I'm hoping they can bring it but it hasn't been made offical.

Moonblossom

That person will be showing up in her furisode, if she can. Dressing in it is.. a bit of a production, and I don't think she's comfortable doing it in front of everyone...

She'll be glad to show off all the layers and whatnot, and explain the process as best she can :)

Just need to hear from my friend, make sure he's got no plans that involve me directly when the panel's going to be taking place :)

Lizchan33

Quote from: "Moonblossom"That person will be showing up in her furisode, if she can. Dressing in it is.. a bit of a production, and I don't think she's comfortable doing it in front of everyone...

She'll be glad to show off all the layers and whatnot, and explain the process as best she can :)

Just need to hear from my friend, make sure he's got no plans that involve me directly when the panel's going to be taking place :)

I find that the furisode is quite easy to put on. It's the obi that's so hard....
Practicing with the Yukata is similar so I should be able to explain how it's put on with my model. : D

Lizchan33

Thank you so much Moonblossom!!!!
And everyone that came!
I was a nervous freak Sunday. v_v
My mamma took pictures let me know if you want to see them! ~<3

Lizchan33

BunofGovt

Darn, and I soooo wanted to see this panel!  The pics are great.  Are you up to doing this again next year?  I'd love to come to it.   :)
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.