Badge question (usage)

Started by usako, February 25, 2007, 09:12:24 PM

usako

Are there rules written about usage of a purchased badge? I looked but, could not find anything related. I read a reply earlier in this forum regarding this, but just want to make sure because my situation is different.

My husband will be going to fanime with me only on friday, but will not go after that. I was wondering if it would be okay for my friend to use that badge for Saturday/Sunday/Monday?

SuperKawaiiNeko

I COULD get in trouble for this, but Im going to give you the straight anyway. Just understand that I am NOT registration staff, so please dont take everything I say as the God's Honest or tell anyone "But SuperKawaiiNeko said it was ok!!"

That said...

I do not believe this is technically allowed. One badge, one fan. The way youre supposed to do this is buy your husband a one day paper pass on friday, and then buy your friend a three day saturday-monday pass (which they might not have, so you may have to get a full con pass) starting saturday.

However, I assume you want to pre register, and thus get a better price and also be able to get your badges a day early.

...honestly? You'd get away with it. The badge checkers for con events just check to make sure everyone that goes past their station is wearing a currnet badge (every time! Even if its the same person! You lazy newbies...) They dont actually check the name ON the badge or card you or anything...so noone will know that its been passed.

Now, I cannot say how ethical this would be. This is not the "by the book" process of how this situation is supposed to be handled. And, again...Im not registration staff, so I cannot speak for how they would feel about it. However, I will say this: As long as two people arent using the badge on the SAME DAY (one person uses the badge for a while, then goes to the room or whatever and hands it off to someone else) I think that they might maybe possibly be ok with it. Maybe <_<
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

usako

Hello! And thanks so much for the reply!

I'm aware that I could get away with this, but I don't want to do something that I am not supposed to do. That's why I'm publically asking and was hoping to get an official response from someone and not waiting until the convetion to do something that might get us into trouble.

I was thinking that purchasing the badge under my husband's name (since he could come pick the badge up with me) would be faster for my friend, since she technically won't be in San Jose until Saturday and will not be able to pick up the badge until that day .. so I was hoping I could get an official response regarding this so that I don't get us both in trouble.

A response from staff would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "usako"Hello! And thanks so much for the reply!

I'm aware that I could get away with this, but I don't want to do something that I am not supposed to do. That's why I'm publically asking and was hoping to get an official response from someone and not waiting until the convetion to do something that might get us into trouble.

I was thinking that purchasing the badge under my husband's name (since he could come pick the badge up with me) would be faster for my friend, since she technically won't be in San Jose until Saturday and will not be able to pick up the badge until that day .. so I was hoping I could get an official response regarding this so that I don't get us both in trouble.

A response from staff would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I'm not staff, but from the sounds of it here's what you should probably do:

Pre order 2 weekend passes. One for your friend and one for you. Yeah, she won't be there the first day, but you'll save money buying it for the weekend than buying it for the three days separately, plus it saves a huge hassle. As the leader of a 'group' you can pick up your 'group' passes all at once on Thursday night. That way, you can get your friend's pass and yours on thursday (and check out the little swap meet/initial screenings they have running usually)

For Friday, have your husband buy a paper pass. Make sure you get there early as the lines are usually really bad.

This way, your husband has access on Friday, and you've got your friend a cool badge for the weekend. (Plus, pre-ordering it makes it all fancy and shiny and covered in plastic. Whee!)

Anyways, based on my previous experience with group passes and stuff, that's what you should do, and a staff member would probably tell you the same.

Nevertheless, I'll try to forward one over here. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

SuperKawaiiNeko

Honestly? Save yourself the time, money, and hassle, and just go ahead and get the two pre regs. If you select a group sign up in the online registration page instead of the single you wont get a special rate (cause you need 10 for the group rate) but it will allow anyone in the group to pick up anyone else's badge, which means you can get hers without hassle. I would also get the other badge in your friend's name instead of your husband's, as you can still pick it up yourself (because of the group registration) and she'll have the badge longer.

The extra effort and cost of getting a one day paper pass in addition to picking up your pre regs is just silly. Ive been a part of this convention for many years and I honestly cannot think of a single staffer who would flip out over what youre trying to do. As long as two people wont be using the badge in the same day, I think you should be fine ^_^
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

usako

Hello!! Thank you for your replies!!

I had no idea that I could register as a group! I thought it had to be 10 people not only for the discount, but to register as a group in the first place.

The next problem -- I read somewhere that as a group the person picking up badges would need each person's ID to pick it up or else it cannot be done though? My friend is in Chicago-- so that is not possible in my case. Which is where the idea of using my husband's name comes in mind.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "usako"Hello!! Thank you for your replies!!

I had no idea that I could register as a group! I thought it had to be 10 people not only for the discount, but to register as a group in the first place.

The next problem -- I read somewhere that each member of the group would need each person's ID to pick it up or else it cannot be done though? My friend is in Chicago-- so that is not possible in my case. Which is where the idea of using my husband's name comes in mind.

SuperKawaiiNeko- Please don't recommend that she try to use one badge for two people. Regardless of whether or not they are trying to use it on the same day or different days, I think she wants to do it the right way.

Usako- You don't need each of their ID's. All you need is your ID as the group 'leader' to pick up the badges. I did this for my club last year and I picked up 8 badges, by myself, just by showing them my ID because I was the registered 'group leader'.

So yeah, order 2 in the group setting (one for you and one for your friend), and then get a paper pass on Friday (for your husband), and you'll be good to go. ^_^
Swap meet staff - 2014

M

Ack, sorry about the late reply to this post.

Quote from: "usako"Are there rules written about usage of a purchased badge? I looked but, could not find anything related. I read a reply earlier in this forum regarding this, but just want to make sure because my situation is different.

My husband will be going to fanime with me only on friday, but will not go after that. I was wondering if it would be okay for my friend to use that badge for Saturday/Sunday/Monday?
It is ok for you to pick up your husband badge and let your friend use it on days where your husband will not be attending. I do have to say that all responsibility will be placed on you if your friend did something that she is not supposed to with the badge (i.e. resell, etc.). Other than that, you're fine.

The next problem -- I read somewhere that each member of the group would need each person's ID to pick it up or else it cannot be done though? My friend is in Chicago-- so that is not possible in my case. Which is where the idea of using my husband's name comes in mind.

You are allowed to register as a group with less than 10 people, but (as stated) you will not receive any group perks. As for the "next problem", I have answered that in my response above. :)

Thanks! ^_^
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "MPLe"Ack, sorry about the late reply to this post.

Quote from: "usako"Are there rules written about usage of a purchased badge? I looked but, could not find anything related. I read a reply earlier in this forum regarding this, but just want to make sure because my situation is different.

It is ok for you to pick up your husband badge and let your friend use it on days where your husband will not be attending. I do have to say that all responsibility will be placed on you if your friend did something that she is not supposed to with the badge (i.e. resell, etc.). Other than that, you're fine.

You are allowed to register as a group with less than 10 people, but (as stated) you will not receive any group perks. As for the "next problem", I have answered that in my response above. :)

Thanks! ^_^

Wow. Ok, thanks for letting me know that first part. I was always under the impression that letting someone else use your badge was a no-no.

If that's the case, I apologize to SuperKawaiiNeko for chastising him after he offered her that advice. >_<
Swap meet staff - 2014

usako

Thanks so much for your reply!

Actually my husband has absolutely no interest in the convention at all in the first place, and would be forced to go just to pick up the badge and use it that one day just to help lol (if I got a reply saying that using the badge that way would be okay). So, the group registration would save me tons (and my husband will be happy too that he doesn't need to do anything), if it really does work that way.

But thank you so much for your reply regarding this and for your ideas. If group registration can be done with just my friend and I -- then I'm relieved that I don't have to do anything even slightly sneaky.

usako

ACK! WOW! I'm so slow at typing... I posted my last reply and already there were other responses! Thank you so much for your help everyone!!

Thank you also MPLe for answering and confirming things! I really appreciate it!

So, I will go ahead and register both myself and my husband!

Thanks again everyone!

M

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"Wow. Ok, thanks for letting me know that first part. I was always under the impression that letting someone else use your badge was a no-no.

If that's the case, I apologize to SuperKawaiiNeko for chastising him after he offered her that advice. >_<

Sharing badges is a "no-no" if you are trying to use the same badge to get in multiple people in the same day. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!