Names on Badges

Started by Kegan_Flame, March 01, 2007, 05:06:35 PM

Kegan_Flame

i have a question, are our real names going to be on the badges? Because i REALLY do not want my leagal name on there, i don't even go by it. And i;ve had problems in tha past, yada yada yada, so i was wondering if it was just gonna be the fan names? i would like that a whole lot better..

Barnes

Yes, your real name will be on the badge, as far as I know. I don't know the full details though.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Pimpstress Rei

Yes I am sorry to say that your full legal names needs to be on your badge. That's how we sort out the badges and how we know that it's your badge when you pick it up. But your name shouldn't be very prominent on the front, so don't worry about people glancing it and seeing it.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

Kegan_Flame

=/ i think that should be adressed in the future.. cuz well.. it's such a public place, and we kinda HAVE to keep our badges on us in view... some of us are paranoid  *glances out windows* >.> <.<

thanks for the fast responce

DemonLordZabuza

If you are worried about your name being found out...all you got to do is cover it from the outside...well I suggest anyway...because if you need to verify that is you all you got to do is pull it out of its sleave to show them the real thing unmarked...but dont know if that is allowed

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "Kegan_Flame"=/ i think that should be adressed in the future.. cuz well.. it's such a public place, and we kinda HAVE to keep our badges on us in view... some of us are paranoid  *glances out windows* >.> <.<

thanks for the fast responce

Actually we have discussed this thoroughly over the years. That is the reason why your fan name is so much larger than the rest of the font and your legal name can barely be read a foot away. We're not trying to make you feel unsafe, we just need to make sure that your badge goes to you, not someone who claims that that badge with "their" fan name is theirs. How can you prove a badge is yours by a fan name? It's easier this way for everyone.

And honestly, with 10,000+ people at con, I doubt that anyone will try to read your name, take note and do something with it. Hell, I barely notice the cosplayers half the time, and a good chunk of them try to glomp me while I'm working @_@
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O

SuperKawaiiNeko

Rei: But youre so so glompable ^^

DLZ: That only works if you have a paper badge, and if you buy a paper badge you can just go ahead and...not put your name on it if you want o.O If you pre register, however, you get a sweet laminated badge with all your info pre printed on it. Theres no sleeve or anything like that. You could still modify it, but it wouldnt look very good.

But, really. Kegan. The legal names are pretty freaking tiny. You shouldnt have to worry about it. The only way I can see it being an issue is if youre worried about a SPECIFIC person (which it sounds like you are) seeking you out by sight and finding out your name by making off with your badge or something when youre not looking. But iff youre worried about someone learning your name from your badge while youre just wearing it, I really dont see that as being an issue, unless theyre actively "after you" and know you by sight.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

ININ

If you cosplay, you can hide your badge and show you badge when requested by staff or entering an event.  Lots of cosplayers do that -__-

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Rei: But youre so so glompable ^^

^^; Aww thanks, but when I'm running around con, I'm usually printing important stuff like schedules for you guys. You wouldn't want your schedules to be late because I've been tackled by a group of cosplayers, would you?

And I need all the energy I can muster because whoo boy I do a lot of running around during con @_@
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O

SuperKawaiiNeko

*coughcough* Not like theyre not going to be late anyway.... <_<

Wha...who said that??? Not me! >_>

Head of Volunteers 2010

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"*coughcough* Not like theyre not going to be late anyway.... <_<

Hey...I got the final schedule Thursday night and I had my staff trying to format the entire schedule each day so it would be print-friendly. Do you know how long that takes while making changes as departments phoned  them in? >.<

And doing this when our commercial copier died? I spent three days in a row watching the sun rise from three different Kinko's. That made me sad.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"
Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"*coughcough* Not like theyre not going to be late anyway.... <_<

Hey...I got the final schedule Thursday night and I had my staff trying to format the entire schedule each day so it would be print-friendly. Do you know how long that takes while making changes as departments phoned  them in? >.<

And doing this when our commercial copier died? I spent three days in a row watching the sun rise from three different Kinko's. That made me sad.

W0rd. I totally feel your pain and appreciate the hard work you did for everyone.

Lots of people forget that, while we're all having fun and Fanime, many others are working hard to make sure all the panels are going smoothly, AMV contests are run, video rooms aren't crashing and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Ungrateful fans= viewing anime community with a negative light.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

SuperKawaiiNeko

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"

Awww *hugs* haha

Yeah, I know its hard for you guys, I was just poking fun at you. I spend a lot of time hanging out in ConOps when theyre not stupidly busy, especially on thursday, so I often hear representatives from publications detailing exactly whats going on with schedules and maps and such. I know its a tough job, but it just wouldnt be a convention if the schedules got done the day before, would it? XD

Head of Volunteers 2010

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"
W0rd. I totally feel your pain and appreciate the hard work you did for everyone.

Lots of people forget that, while we're all having fun and Fanime, many others are working hard to make sure all the panels are going smoothly, AMV contests are run, video rooms aren't crashing and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Ungrateful fans= viewing anime community with a negative light.

Aww thanks. It's nice getting validation for the hard work we put in. And a lot of people don't know that everyone who works for Fanime is a volunteer, meaning we don't get paid for all the hours we put in. In a sense, we're masochists for working so hard for something where you don't really get much of a material reward. But I think it's worth it for all the friends you make from the experience. <3

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Yeah, I know its hard for you guys, I was just poking fun at you. I spend a lot of time hanging out in ConOps when theyre not stupidly busy, especially on thursday, so I often hear representatives from publications detailing exactly whats going on with schedules and maps and such. I know its a tough job, but it just wouldnt be a convention if the schedules got done the day before, would it? XD

Ah but I bet you didn't hear any of the cursing or see any arm flailing that happened during the whole printer break down. Now that was fun.

I hope this year things will be more organized and the schedules will go out on time. I would like this year to be remembered as the year when schedules began to be handed out on time, with the correct info. It would be a nice legacy for my last year in this department.  :D
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O

SuperKawaiiNeko

Hehe, no pay. Go go fan conventions! Do people usually get paid? o.O Does the staff for AX get paid?

Nooooooo dont leave us ;_;

Head of Volunteers 2010

M

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"Hey...I got the final schedule Thursday night and I had my staff trying to format the entire schedule each day so it would be print-friendly. Do you know how long that takes while making changes as departments phoned  them in? >.<

For the record, your boss was there with you. :P

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Hehe, no pay. Go go fan conventions! Do people usually get paid? o.O Does the staff for AX get paid?

Most convention staff work as volunteers (i.e. non-paid positions) and Fanime is no different. I can't speak for Anime-Expo as I do not know if they do or don't get paid. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Miss Goku

I think both your real name and your fan name will be on the badge :) Atleast thats how I remember it being last year.

astroboy

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Hehe, no pay. Go go fan conventions! Do people usually get paid? o.O Does the staff for AX get paid?
According to my intelligence sources (secret ninja spies who work for me)

AX staff do not get paid....however they get better "benefits". This is made possible by:
1) the staff to attendee ratio at AX is much much smaller
2) AX is not "shy" about accepting corporate sponsorships *delicate cough*  :wink:

Ari

I just checked my badges from the previous years and your legal name is bigger than your fan name. But seriously not by much. And even if you have a person 2 feet in front of you it's still hard to read with the badge picture taking up 95% of the badge.

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "MPLe"
Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"Hey...I got the final schedule Thursday night and I had my staff trying to format the entire schedule each day so it would be print-friendly. Do you know how long that takes while making changes as departments phoned  them in? >.<

For the record, your boss was there with you. :P

And that's why I <3 you so much! Seriously, by the third day of seeing a Kinko's I was getting rabid by the time I got to the convention with the 10,000 printed sheets of schedule/forms/badges. This year, if Fluffy dies again, I'm so taking a sledgehammer to her.

Usually conventions don't pay you. That's the way of the anime convention.

And don't worry, my second, Betty, is taking over publications next year. She's so talented and nice. You'll love her! She'll make publications what it can and should be. As for myself, I'll be floating around until another department needs me. I like to think of myself as the Mary Poppins of departments.  :P
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O