Great Teacher Largo...?

Started by otakuya, March 07, 2007, 02:13:53 PM

otakuya

I remember that GTL was on the schedule last year, but didn't happen (I tried to call him but didn't answer or anything). Any idea if there's gonna be one this year?
-> contact "Blues" on the boards

Crazy_Saiko

I'm not so sure if he's doing another one this year
there has been talk...
there are already vids from the previous ones...

Last year Blues decided to indirectly tell the admins of Fanime "screw u" or some thing like that and not do it even though it was scheduled...

he was just tired with those pplz
<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

otakuya

Quote from: "Crazy_Saiko"there are already vids from the previous ones...
Like this one?
I filmed this one at the '04 panel. "Largo's" friend uploaded it.

joshness

Quote from: "Crazy_Saiko"I'm not so sure if he's doing another one this year
there has been talk...
there are already vids from the previous ones...

Last year Blues decided to indirectly tell the admins of Fanime "screw u" or some thing like that and not do it even though it was scheduled...

he was just tired with those pplz

Wish he would have told us about it. I was standing there with my friends for over an hour (30 mins before and 30 mins after). It's really sad because his panel is very popular. I remember 2005 he had two panels that were filled up.

Hopefully he'll be back, I had friends that started reading megatokyo because of it.

Crazy_Saiko

haha
I didnt' go that year he fooled the staff
later that summer i asked him "How was the panel?"
he was all, "didn't do it"

Even though it was on the schedule.. yea..

Did you go to that last two panels tho?

tee hee i fell on stage on the first panel
and i was Miho in the second one -^^-

Ayanami Rei First Child

Lucky you! I've been a HUGE fan of MegaTokyo for like...I'm not even sure how long.

I LOVE Pirogoeth, she's totally awesome. For some strange reason I don't really care for Piro that much. He's just...not absurd enough. Miho is fun...Large is totally awesome...

SohmaYuki

Kekekkee... I've always wanted to go to this panel just to... rather... take over it. With such amusing questions as "who the hell are you, and what kind of "authority" are you to use the character name and role of "Largo" for yourself?"

And "Is this panel sanctioned by the hacks that run Megatokyo?"

Or... "I lock this thread, uh, I mean panel... for copyright infringement, PS Piro is a hack, love CrackPr0n-EET-"

But I've always been busy during the panel.

I've never understood the fandom MT has. It's a not very well written comic with not very good art(though atleast his art is unique and getting better than the crap it used to be). And Piro is a hack...

Crazy_Saiko

doesn't matter if you like it or not

this panel was made by fans for fans
and i asked Blues about being allowed to do the panel and use the name Largo.. and how like Fred G. felt about him doing this panel and all back in the 1st year of the panel

and Blues told me that Fred didn't really care that much at all

if anything, the panel is a compliment to the comic, to the character the Fred created, a place where all the nerdy people of MT can gather and share their what ever l33t they have.

SohmaYuki

The panel was made by fans... for fans... to misinterperet character types and designs.

Half of the "fans" of Megatokyo don't even understand the basic concepts behind the characters in how and why they act the way they do.

Piro(the artist) usually doesn't mind anything, unless you bastardize his characters. It doesn't mean he supports them in any way. His general stance is that "as long as his work is given credit as being his, the person is not making money off of it, and that his characters are not put into positions or made to do things that reflect poorly on their original concept and design"... then it's basically free game to do whatever you want with them.

Of course it's a "compliment" to the characters, but it doesn't mean it's done well. Pssssssssst secret, Piro avoided that panel on purpose, Dom avoids it on purpose, and both of them knew of its existance and could very easilly have gone to it.

None of the people in these panels are really... authorities on these characters, and if they were even close to being them, they should atleast know of who I am in name.

The Acen one DID get shot down. There was a guy at ACen who was saying he was Great Teacher Largo and was doing things in the hallways of the convention, and Piro had it put to a stop. I never paid attention much to that story as to specifically why it was stopped, I just laughed when I heard about it, before bringing up the fanime panel. Where, I didn't get permission to crash it, but they didn't tell me not to...

The original plan was I was going to have Ed just run into the panel and tackle the guy then I'd pick up the mic and go off on a little monologue about how Ed doesn't like real Largo, let alone an imposter Largo. Then I'd talk about locking the thread. It woulda been hillarious.

kukukuku~ (*´д`*)

Crazy_Saiko

so he's cosplaying as Largo
His shows have been a great hit

and fred not supporting.. that's ok
and if he did; that's ok too

do you completely understand the basic concepts behind the characters?
do you know what goes in Largo's mind

and basically what the panel is
just "Largo" being his l33tself having a knowledge in computers and games
and then just quizzing everyone afterwards

Don't tell me that "Largo" doesn't know computers or play games

also the humor that "Largo" puts into the panel may not be perfect character
but we are human.. you don't expect everyone to do everything right.

i'm sure behind the scenes of Fanimecon, there are a lot of things that may go wrong.

SohmaYuki

Quote from: "Crazy_Saiko"
do you completely understand the basic concepts behind the characters?
do you know what goes in Largo's mind

and basically what the panel is
just "Largo" being his l33tself having a knowledge in computers and games
and then just quizzing everyone afterwards

Don't tell me that "Largo" doesn't know computers or play games

also the humor that "Largo" puts into the panel may not be perfect character
but we are human.. you don't expect everyone to do everything right.

i'm sure behind the scenes of Fanimecon, there are a lot of things that may go wrong.

Oh, plenty goes wrong behind the scenes, I hear all about it if I ask. Largo's abilities are often a misconception, I've brought this up with Piro briefly, but I've talked with the others about it a bunch of times. Enough to make a guest comic that Piro said he would put up, but then ended up not, which is an amusing story within itself... let's see if I can find it...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/soaplandjunkotheyakuzaboss/legueststrip.jpg
Junko is too cute in that strip... and I'm drawn too unrealistically cute.

Linked because it's gigantic. Ah... JP jokes that pretty much no US readers will get, and a fun fun fun inside joke in the last two panels. I should restart doing /mgj, it was so ahead of its time.

Actually, yeah though, the concepts behind the characters in MT aren't very difficult. If you read the MT forums(god help you, if you do)... you can see the hillarity of most peoples conception of the characters, compared to realistic views that a few of us make occasionally.

Sure, the panels drew in a lot of people, and they were "successful". I thought I would make them more amusing, probably at the cost of his humility, but it would make the panel oh much more amusing. Then again, I could be wrong, and he could hold his own and despite my heckling and interruption he could go above me(it's doubtful seeing that I've never heard of him, so unless he's Largo's friend I doubt he has anything on me).

General rule of things, if you're going to put yourself on a pedstal, don't be suprised if someone comes by to knock you down. As much as I do not like Megatokyo(I think the writing is bad, and the concepts are not portrayed correctly since Piro really doesn't know that much about Japan), I know it better than probably 95% of the readers do.

Crazy_Saiko

i'm glad we've come to a mutual clarity

joshness

First off, what is with all your disdain? For someone who doesn't like megatokyo, it seems like you spend a ton of time between reading the comic, being in the forums, and knowing the "inner workings" of megatokyo.

Also, Dom doesn't like the GTL thing? I heard about GTL through a post he did. I believe it was on oopack or somewhere that he posted a pictures of one of GTL's impromptu panel. He said something about sitting and watching the skit and saying that he found it strange and amusing.

Third, why rain on someone else's parade? I don't see why you should be so upset about someone pretending to be their favourite character. Let us megatokyo nerds enjoy ourselves.

Although, I have to agree with you on the forums at megatokyo. I really can't stand it there because there are a ton of pompous asses. I only check to see what people are commenting on for the latest comic.

To Saiko, I remember you playing Miho in 2005. Good Job! I was wondering about the tripping and running jokes at the time. Then I saw the 2004 video and it all made sense.

SohmaYuki

Quote from: "joshness"First off, what is with all your disdain? For someone who doesn't like megatokyo, it seems like you spend a ton of time between reading the comic, being in the forums, and knowing the "inner workings" of megatokyo.

Ah, let's answer questions then. I only read the comic when a friend of mine(who's good friends with Piro/Dom/Cortana etc.) tells me that I should. Why? Because she likes it when I tell the clueless readers that they're clueless and how. I'm a mod on the forums... I do know the inner workings, because I'm friends with some of the staff, but for the most part, think the comic is terrible. Though, I wonder what this has to do with anything?

QuoteAlso, Dom doesn't like the GTL thing? I heard about GTL through a post he did. I believe it was on oopack or somewhere that he posted a pictures of one of GTL's impromptu panel. He said something about sitting and watching the skit and saying that he found it strange and amusing.
Eh, Dom does this a lot, but I will avoid speaking about his opinions and stuff so he doesn't get annoyed.

However I will quote "I avoided it like the plague... Oh btw, Mikey did you want to play Duel Savior on my laptop?"

QuoteThird, why rain on someone else's parade? I don't see why you should be so upset about someone pretending to be their favourite character. Let us megatokyo nerds enjoy ourselves.
Because misinterpretations bother me. Even on the forum of fans, who are supposed to be avid readers, misinterperet the comic. Why is it... that I who hate the comic, have a better understanding about the characters and general plot than people that read every comic multiple times and over analyze the hell out of everything? Besides the fact that doing so would amuse the hell outta me and a lot of other forum go'ers if I did it.

QuoteAlthough, I have to agree with you on the forums at megatokyo. I really can't stand it there because there are a ton of pompous asses. I only check to see what people are commenting on for the latest comic.
Oh you don't agree with me at all ^^

otakuapprentice

meh, all i know is that the panel was funny. thats all that mattered to me.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I thought the panel was at least fairly accurate in terms of Largo's charecter. I doubt it was perfect, but at the same time, what you're doing now...isn't right. I'm pretty sure you're "Flaming". You hate MegaTokyo? Fine...hate it all you like....but stop trying to ruin other people's good fun.

All you're doing is showing that you don't hate the comic because it's poorly written....but more like you're JEALOUS of Piro!

You're jealous that even though you apparently know a lot more about all things Japanese....he still has a reputation of knowing more about you. He's more popular then you, and more successful I bet.

LadyKaren

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"
You're jealous that even though you apparently know a lot more about all things Japanese....he still has a reputation of knowing more about you. He's more popular then you, and more successful I bet.

Anyone else find this line a little creepy?

SohmaYuki

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"I thought the panel was at least fairly accurate in terms of Largo's charecter. I doubt it was perfect, but at the same time, what you're doing now...isn't right. I'm pretty sure you're "Flaming". You hate MegaTokyo? Fine...hate it all you like....but stop trying to ruin other people's good fun.

All you're doing is showing that you don't hate the comic because it's poorly written....but more like you're JEALOUS of Piro!

Of all the people I could be jealous of... he's not one of them. You have to be young, it's the only explaination of the jumps in logic you make. I know Piro, I've talked to him, I could IM him right now and link this and he'd probably laugh at it(though I don't care to because I'm not good friends or anything). If anyone, I should be jealous of say... Akamatsu Ken, who has an amazing wife(of which I've met and had a short discussion with both of them), who is close friends to the same friend I mention earlier. And yet, I'm still not jealous. He doesn't have a reputation of knowing more about me... I've disproved a lot of things he's said and written about fashion, and ideas. ^^ So you're quite off. But it was a cute(failed) attempt at trying to attack me...

I dunno, so many others I could be jealous of.

otakuya

1. The MGT forums are separated into parts; Story, General, Random. Read only the stuff you want. It's a forum about the webcomic! Don't you think there'll be people posting stuff about the webcomic on it? There are other sections too about stuff not Megatokyo related.
Kinda like the Fanime forums. Theres a Cosplay section, Anime section, Gaming section, Gathering section, etc... only read the stuff you want to read and post on.

2. What makes Megatokyo any different than any other anime or manga (or even webcomic) out there? There will be fans of it and people will do things about it, like cosplay, hold panels and discussions, make videos, and interact with the creator (something many of us can't do with other anime).

3. If you don't like the panel, don't attend. People pay money to be entertained at this event/convention, not nit-pick everything they don't like or bash an event they have no business going to in the first place because they "don't get it".

Ayanami Rei First Child

I may be wrong...but you certainly do have an abnormal amount of hatred for a webcomic that's full of relatively harmless inaccuracies. Although I find it amusing that a comic that's so full of inaccuracies gets picked up by the #1 manga company in the US...written by a guy who apparently doesn't know half as much about all things Japanese as he claims as well as you. So what exactly is your claim to fame, other then apparently knowing some famous people, because it sounds to me that you're a talentless critic.

If you really hate MT that much...go put your money where your mouth is. Go produce a comic like MT and make it even MORE accurate and successful. Show us what YOU can do, instead of flaming other people's work. Seriously go make a life of your own, instead of trying to tear down other people's life. I'm leaving this topic to go to something productive like study for a test :roll: