Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread

Started by angeljibrille, March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM

Runewitt

Quote from: roth14 on February 06, 2009, 06:58:36 AM
Quote from: Rette on February 05, 2009, 07:50:51 PM
Quote from: roth14 on February 05, 2009, 04:11:43 PM
Does anyone know or would like to give me tips on how to make Machika form Immortal rain scythe?

Sorry bets pic I could get of the scythe: http://www.nexternal.com/dreamland/images/immortalRain_v06.jpg

Do you have access to power tools? You could make that out of wood easily enough, just need a jigsaw and a power drill.

I'll just have to convince my Dad to help but yes. I am just not sure about how I am going to build the blade part since i can't and don't want to use metal
i'd sugest using a good pvc pipe for the handle and thin plywood or pine for the blade, notch the pipe with a bandsaw or hacksaw to fit the blade in it.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

grabnar

I need a little advice - I'm working on a Ginko cosplay for this year. Right now I have a coat that is a good copy of his, but its a much lighter shade of brown. How would I go about dying it? I wouldn't need to ask this normally, but the problem is its 100% wool, and I'm finding mixed articles about dying wools.
Give a man fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Levistus

Lelouch Cosplay Question!

I really want to find some custom Geass Eye Contacts

I really only need one for one eye; if anyone knows where i can get some help a brother out!

I'll love you eternally.

xo

ININ

Does anyone have info on making custom gloves or know somebody who accepts commissions for gloves?  I'm looking for gloves for Chrono Harlaown from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Chrono Gloves

Eri Kagami

Fellow Fanime press-type checking in. I wrote an article for the LA Loyolan how to get started up on sewing:

http://www.laloyolan.com/entertainment/sewing-tips-1.1720852

While the audience is directed towards Los Angeles locale, there are quite a few places in San Francisco that sell great amounts of fabric. Fabric Outlet in the Mission District is one I highly recommend.

Thought it could be of use for this thread. ^^

Avairrianna

Need help with making a cake costume!

Ok, so... I want to cosplay the Cake from Portal

Picture:

I want this to be life size with the cake sitting on my hips and most of my body being the candle. I need help with what material I should make the top of the cake with (The underside that sits on my hips) and how/if I get the chocolate shavings look to the cake?

Thus far my ideas are:

Myself as candle with my hair the flame
Using a brown tablecloth for the main material
Red bouncy balls (not dodgeballs) for the decorations
Padded donuts of material for the white frosting
Suspenders to keep the cake on me
Hulahoop at the bottom of the cake to keep it's shape

If ANYONE has any good or better ideas than I have please let me know! This is the only costume I actually have to make this year and I'm having some very bad medical problems throughout my family so I need to start ASAP!

Thanks, Avairrianna!
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Avairrianna

Quote from: ININ on April 05, 2009, 06:54:03 PM
Does anyone have info on making custom gloves or know somebody who accepts commissions for gloves?  I'm looking for gloves for Chrono Harlaown from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Chrono Gloves

For those gloves the simplest thing to do (and cheapest) would be to get some gray colored prom gloves and just use pens to put the lines and blue dots on. My friend did that with her Ed Elric arm and it is AMAZING! Constant compliments! 
Cosplays in work:
?

Steven Universe

xell

I'm helping one of my friend to make angel wings.
she is going to be yue.  Yue have really huge wings.  And we don't know what to use as the structure of the wing.  We tried wire from cloth hanger, but it does not hold.  We couldn't find any light but strong wires.  Help?

BunofGovt

Quote from: Avairrianna on April 24, 2009, 04:44:54 PM

Chrono Gloves

For those gloves the simplest thing to do (and cheapest) would be to get some gray colored prom gloves and just use pens to put the lines and blue dots on. My friend did that with her Ed Elric arm and it is AMAZING! Constant compliments! 

I agree with Avairrianna on buying grey gloves, use the pens for the lines where you can. But I would also buy grey cloth to match, and make a small rectangle out of it to sew onto the back of the glove. (cut two rectangles out, sew all around, leaving a gap to turn inside out, handstitch the opening closed, iron to flatten.  Glue or sew to the back of the glove.  Or use something like a riveter to attach to the glove at the corners, as in the picture.  (if you're careful enough, punch small holes in the corners and holes in the glove to line up, then use some brass fasteners (like for paper holes) to attach, that might look like rivets.)

Quote from: Avairrianna on April 24, 2009, 04:41:51 PM
Need help with making a cake costume!

Ok, so... I want to cosplay the Cake from Portal

Picture:

I want this to be life size with the cake sitting on my hips and most of my body being the candle. I need help with what material I should make the top of the cake with (The underside that sits on my hips) and how/if I get the chocolate shavings look to the cake?

Thus far my ideas are:

Myself as candle with my hair the flame
Using a brown tablecloth for the main material
Red bouncy balls (not dodgeballs) for the decorations
Padded donuts of material for the white frosting
Suspenders to keep the cake on me
Hulahoop at the bottom of the cake to keep it's shape

If ANYONE has any good or better ideas than I have please let me know! This is the only costume I actually have to make this year and I'm having some very bad medical problems throughout my family so I need to start ASAP!

Thanks, Avairrianna!

Something like two hula hoops (or large wire circles) with the top hoop spoked like a bike wheel?  So the brown material hangs flatter on the top part?  For the 'chocolate shavings', does this sound like it would work:  get some darker brown material, cut ovals out of it, spray with starch, then iron over a curved surface?  I can't think of any material except wire mesh that would retain a curve and still be fairly light so you could put a lot on the cake, but maybe this will help give someone a better idea.  I dunno if you'd want to try brown craft paper, wrap it around a large tube (like an oatmeal container) til it curls.

If you could attach brown craft foam to the bottom for the plate?
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Avairrianna

I know the shavings are hard...and I need them to be a material that wont get ruined by brushing up against people and stuff. And I don't think I'm going to do the plate at all just the cake.

I now have my white shirt for my candle and I know I'm going to use red dog balls for the red candies so I'm a step closer...

Thanks for your ideas BunofGovt!
Cosplays in work:
?

Steven Universe

ruby19_4

Im trying to get or make (which I dont know which one) for Komui Lee cosplay. I know he has a drill ( a big one), bazooka and shot gun. Can anyone give me an idea what kind of tool or weapon can I use for Komui Lee. Thx.

ININ

Quote from: BunofGovt on April 27, 2009, 09:16:13 PM
Quote from: Avairrianna on April 24, 2009, 04:44:54 PM

Chrono Gloves

I agree with Avairrianna on buying grey gloves, use the pens for the lines where you can. But I would also buy grey cloth to match, and make a small rectangle out of it to sew onto the back of the glove. (cut two rectangles out, sew all around, leaving a gap to turn inside out, handstitch the opening closed, iron to flatten.  Glue or sew to the back of the glove.  Or use something like a riveter to attach to the glove at the corners, as in the picture.  (if you're careful enough, punch small holes in the corners and holes in the glove to line up, then use some brass fasteners (like for paper holes) to attach, that might look like rivets.)

Avairrianna and BunofGovt, thanks for the info.  I have a pair of motorcycle gloves I wore at Fanime'08.  Glove pic here.  I tried the grey cloth method and, to me, didn't feel like a "tough man's" glove.  My thinking now is if there is a way to make specialized gloves or are there crafts to modify the gloves?

bsan89

PLEASE HELP Improvement on my costume!
(Need idea for PROP since I CANNOT USE MY Airsoft Gun)

This will be my 1st Anime convention.
I plan to dress up as a "Helgan SS Elite" From "Killzone 2"
(Also need idea for Improvement)

Here's what I got so far:

(yes my eye does glow orange/red with Built in LED)

I know I can't make it exactly like that but If I had to spend an extra $100 to make it a tab
bit closer. It'll be worth it, just recognizable. Here's my ref pix:

*I just found out that my prop is NOT APPROVE! Since it is a Airsoft Gun. (I rip off the battery & bb)
I NEED any idea to help me get a Rifle as a Prop to fanime. I have $ just not the time considering Fanime is a week away!

Things to add:

-Shoulder & Knee Pad
-Spray Paint Red Logo:
-Spray Paint Logo on back of vest
-Buy Larger mask
-Buy Balcalva to cover expose skin

XpHoBiaX

Hay there ladies, gents and its.

I feel this is a "dumb" question, but I have a vampire knight cosplay and I wanted to know if dry cleaning would be better?
I used a gentle washing cycle last year, and some of the 'jewels' came off. It was on a cool water cycle. (I'll probably just sew them on to avoid that)

Also, I want to take off the epicaly massive flower buttons and put on smaller ones. I would like to know where to pick them up and also get more of the 'jewels'. I will have to use the wonderful internets, so links to online stores would be great.

Thanks in advance!

~XpHoBiaX~

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

yumicchi88

I want ideas for Fate Linegod (Fayt Leingod) leg armor.

back image from a figure

It is crazy!!
ideas how to construct it?

I am thinking of using craft foam and styrene (saw in a site), but if there is ideas, please keep me updated!!

either PM me or simply reply.

Thank you

This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

BunofGovt

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on May 26, 2009, 10:26:42 AM
Hay there ladies, gents and its.

I feel this is a "dumb" question, but I have a vampire knight cosplay and I wanted to know if dry cleaning would be better?
I used a gentle washing cycle last year, and some of the 'jewels' came off. It was on a cool water cycle. (I'll probably just sew them on to avoid that)

Also, I want to take off the epicaly massive flower buttons and put on smaller ones. I would like to know where to pick them up and also get more of the 'jewels'. I will have to use the wonderful internets, so links to online stores would be great.

Thanks in advance!

~XpHoBiaX~

Can't help you with the washing question, but I bought rose buttons for my friend's outfit from Britex Fabrics in SF and Stone Mountain & Daughter Fabrics in Berkeley.  The buttons were available in at least two sizes:  I think dime sized and quarter sized.  They were a little pricey but were exactly what I wanted.

When you say 'jewels', are these glued on?  Or like the jewel-studs with the prongs that go through the fabric?  I tried to find those for more permanancy but couldn't find any shaped correctly (like a kite rather than a square).  I ended up cutting out the shapes from fabric and gluing them in place.  If you were willing to try that, you might use silver fabric, or even fabric paint.

XpHoBiaX

BunofGovt:
Do those shops have online links? I live waaaaaay far away on a lake. @__@ The jewles are little plastic diamond shaped things glued on. I'd like to have a few sites before I venture off to ebay. lol

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Kamen Rider Tag

Hey y'all,

Anyone know of a good place I could go to for wigs and contacts?  I'm actually planning on going to next year as M-Ryotaro from Kamen Rider Den-O.

I also want to try creating the actual DenGasher Sword Mode prop, as well.  Any tips?  Also, some references...

The actual DX toy version of the weapon.  Obviously, the blade isn't big enough. =P

You can either just reply or send me a PM.  Thanks!

ruby19_4

BunofGovt

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on May 27, 2009, 06:30:06 PM
BunofGovt:
Do those shops have online links? I live waaaaaay far away on a lake. @__@ The jewles are little plastic diamond shaped things glued on. I'd like to have a few sites before I venture off to ebay. lol

www.stonemountainfabric.com

www.britexfabrics.com