Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread

Started by angeljibrille, March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM

angeljibrille

Shaxel

Hokai I decided to skip buying a coat, bite the bullet and do my best to try and make one. I found a pattern that I should be able to modify fairly easily..and I can always probe questions at my mother if I get totally lost on what the pattern says X_X

But I was wondering if anyone knows a place where I could find a BIG silver zipper? The kind that would work for a near floor length Org XIII coat?

My city only has one fabric store and they don't carry zippers in that size. Does anyone know where I could get one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! X_x;!

BrightHeart76

I came up with these.  I have no personal experience with either...but they are definately worth a try.  I hope you have a lot of luck.  :-)

http://www.catameinc.com/
Doesn't list prices, you have to send in which Zipper you want and how long you want it, then they'll give you a quote.

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1457635
Might be better, it has a 60 inch Black and Aluminum Bottom Separating Zipper already listed
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Shaxel

Oh those are both nice sites! I should be able to work with those..and yeah the second looks like it might work better..

Thanks so much! =D

Krnchichiri

I'm not sure if I really want this prop, but we'll see how the construction goes.

I want to make Yuna's summoner staff, but I'm not quite sure how to make it. I've already looked at the guide on www.cosplay.com, but I'd be more interested in a different kind of way to do it.

But if not, would anyone direct me to where I can commission one or buy one  if I can't successfully make the staff? >.>;;
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

Itamiko

Going as Midna (spoiler version) from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Miradori

Hey guys, I'm doing my first real cosplay this year as Melfina from outlaw star (yay!) but I'm having one teeeny problem...I can't find a back shot of her poncho as a reference! Can anyone help me?

Hyperion512

Got the BK mask, needs reinforcement inside or it keeps collapsing on itself. Gonna make the rest over the next few weeks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/pozzo/cid__0216072209.jpg

BunofGovt

Quote from: "Miradori"Hey guys, I'm doing my first real cosplay this year as Melfina from outlaw star (yay!) but I'm having one teeeny problem...I can't find a back shot of her poncho as a reference! Can anyone help me?

Because I don't know how to do this better, I ripped these shots from the opening to Outlaw Star and then took pictures with my camera and uploaded them (sigh).  Also Episode 15: The Seven Emerge near the gunfight has some scenes of Melfina's back as she's running/walking towards Gene. (again, sorry if these images are too big, I'm sure a mod will turn them into links if they are)

Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

narutofan17

Help me I'm going crazy! I need Jiraiya's geta shoes but I can find my size anywhere. Curse my big feet!!!! There a 12 if anyone knows where I can look.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

1Fireforge

Geta are actually quite easy to make, as long as you have access to a jig saw and drill.  You could crank them out in about four hours if you have some experience in woodworking.  The harder part is making the band for the toes, but not too terribly difficult.

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

BunofGovt

I found a large pair of geta for my nephew (size 11) at Soko Hardware in Japantown, SF last year.  But we had to lengthen the strap holding the thong on them so his feet would fit.  We removed the metal cap on the underside, removed the strap, made a longer one, wrapped around the thong, pulled the strap through the hole, tied a knot, then nailed the cap back over the knot.

He wore them almost 90% of the time we were at AX last year, even when we went to Disneyland.  Still wears them.

narutofan17

Quote from: "BunofGovt"I found a large pair of geta for my nephew (size 11) at Soko Hardware in Japantown, SF last year.  But we had to lengthen the strap holding the thong on them so his feet would fit.  We removed the metal cap on the underside, removed the strap, made a longer one, wrapped around the thong, pulled the strap through the hole, tied a knot, then nailed the cap back over the knot.

He wore them almost 90% of the time we were at AX last year, even when we went to Disneyland.  Still wears them.
Sweet! Thanks! I'll go this weekend and check out japantown.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

SheaShea

For those of you who went to the masquarade, I was wondering if you remember what the one of the judges said the armor was made out of in the 'Record of Lodoss War' skit.

It was something like AV Foam, I've never heard of it before then.

Does anybody know?

thank you in advance!
2007 - I was Princess Ashe from FF XII
Official Pikaball Player
Join us in 09?

Ekac

;-; I'm stuck.
I don't know how to make a Prinny [yes, Prinny, from the Disgaea series] costume... there's no site really SPECIFIC for this kind of costume [wandering around in a giant penguin costume is actually very rare on the internet...] I've seen examples, but I just don't see how it could be done!

HavicMichaelchris

any idea's on how to make demyx's sitar?

I was thinking wood, sand it down, make it hallow than make a hinge so that I can transport it, And yes I will have my hair in a mullet.
Cosplays: L, Kyo, Pip, Ed, Luxord, And more listed elsewhere.

yumicchi88

is there any good picture of Syaoran's sword from tsubasa?
I cant find any good view of it.
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

BunofGovt

By the way, Jo-Ann's Fabrics is having a sale on McCall's Patterns (excluding the Easy Stitch N Save patterns) at $1.99 each on June 7 - 9 (Thursday thru Saturday).  Vogue Patterns will be on sale for $3.99 each.

yumicchi88

This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

HavicMichaelchris

Quote from: "BunofGovt"By the way, Jo-Ann's Fabrics is having a sale on McCall's Patterns (excluding the Easy Stitch N Save patterns) at $1.99 each on June 7 - 9 (Thursday thru Saturday).  Vogue Patterns will be on sale for $3.99 each.

I officially love you now
Cosplays: L, Kyo, Pip, Ed, Luxord, And more listed elsewhere.