Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread

Started by angeljibrille, March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM

BunofGovt

Quote from: PurePlummet on December 05, 2007, 08:36:57 PM
Hey everyone. I was hoping some of you guys could help me.

I went to look for an L cosplay, but none of the sizes were what I wanted. I wanted long sleeves, but I wanted it to be relatively fitted for the torso, because in a cosplay as simple as this (well, any cosplay, really) the details were really important to me. I ended up buying a large shirt for the sleeves, though.

So I was wondering: Is it practical for me to "re-tailor" (I'm not sure about the right terms for this) the shirt, and if so, how would I do it?

Many thanks in advance.

Sounds like you are trying to tighten the sides of the shirt inwards?  You should have someone standing by as you put on the shirt, perhaps, and then tighten the shirt in the areas you want tighter (what I mean is pinch the sides to pull the material tighter across your torso).  Try the keep the line where the seams would be along the sides of your body straight down from armpit to waist (don't just pull the material together, you'll probably be pulling more material from the back).  Safety pin or straight pin the sides, or mark with a marking pencil.  Carefully pull off the shirt.  Sew a new seam on each side following the markings from the pencil.  You may wish to turn the shirt inside-out before trying it on the first time so your markings are on the inside.

Does this make sense?  Sorry, it's hard to explain and I hope I understood what you are trying to do.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

keirabug

Baby, the Stars Shine Bright

Devi 1313

Hello! Does anyone know anything about dyeing fabrics or sewing on ribbon as trim? One of my costumes is dark grey, but I couldn't really find fabric dark enough. I know black dye is actually more of a brownish color but if I dillute it do you think I'd get the shade I'm looking for? Also this costume has a sleeveless robe over a longsleeved dress, would it look alright or clash if I used velvet ribbon on the dress but satin on the robe? And one of my friends has had trouble with her satin ribbon kind of puckering, how can I avoid this?

I think the costume I'm trying to make is probably out of my league judging by how many questions I have, but I wanna try anyways!
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

BunofGovt

Try a test swatch of your material (a big swatch, maybe a foot square) and dye it.  The color you end up with may depend on the material (is it cotton?  a cotton-poly mix? wool? denim?)  Some materials don't take dye well. 

Where did you look for material?  Jo-Ann?  You might see if there are other fabric stores in your area.  If you are close to Berkeley, there's a huge fabric discount store at Ashby and San Pablo that has a large variety of fabrics, quite a few suit-type materials also, which might give you the darker grey color that you want.

Britex in San Francisco also has a large collection of material but it is VERY pricey!  Same with Stone Mountain's Daughter in Berkeley, lovely material but can be a bit expensive.

Hancock Fabrics has a nice selection and it's a chain, like Jo-Ann's.

If you are near San Jose, I think there are a few vendors that sell material, but I'm not sure if they'll have the dark grey you want.

As to adding the velvet ribbon and satin ribbons, if the color and sheen are similar enough, it might not make a difference which you use.  Also, where will the ribbons be placed on each outfit?  If not in an obvious area (and I mean like right up front where it's spotted right away rather than as a trim on the armhole, or sides, etc.) then it might still be okay.  I have added trim, bias tape not ribbon, to an outfit by sewing it on and using fabric glue.  Using the glue (I think it's called fabri-tac - you can find it in Wal-Mart, Jo-Ann's or Michael's, etc.) was quick and easy although I haven't tried washing the outfit yet.  It's supposed to be fairly sturdy after it's dried.

Sewing the trim on, I started by pinning the trim where I wanted it, then sewed up one edge.  Then I unpinned and sewed down the other edge, trying to smooth it out where possible.

Do you have a picture or sketch of the outfit?  That might help others give you better suggestions.

Devi 1313

Oh sure! http://images.orfay.com/i/photos2/2008/01/02/13/0/4/2/0427ebe2695f7968cdc14cb071d423e50_large.jpg The fabric I bought is cotton, possibly broadcloth, and is a little lighter than the bulk of the dress. I was thinking of making it darker and then dip-dyeing the bottom and ends of the sleeves so they're about black. As for the swirlies I saw a technique in an embroidery book called corded Soutache...

Y'know, the more I think about this the less I think I'll be able to achieve it at the quality I want, especially with my n00bie sewing skills. I think I'll pour most of my efforts into a Radtastic Sumomo and then work on this slow and steady throughout the year. Then I can enter Sumomo this year and my undead next year! Muahaha!
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley

BunofGovt

That is a very nice outfit, good luck with it!  As for the swirlie parts, have you considered cutting out a strip of gray material and then cutting out parts to look like the swirls?  Like doing applique?  Then you could sew or glue the applique to the sleeve and bottom of the jacket/cloak.  You could hand-edge the applique to make sure the edges don't fray or apply something to the edges?

I can't see it too clearly so I'm not sure of the detail there.

Again, good luck!  Please post a pic of it or let us know where you'll be wearing it when it's ready!

Devi 1313

Hmm, haven't really thought of that, but I am considering investing in an embroidery machine that I could use for this and other costumes.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley

Reinna

How well do silver sharpies work if you're dying a wig?  I mean, I've heard of all sorts of sharpie-dying, but I feel like it might be different if you're doing it with a metallic color.

Fructose

I've heard that they technically work, but the silver filament ends up flaking off and you end up with just a light gray wig in the end, no metallic shine, which may still work for your purposes. It occurs to me, if you wanted it to actually have the silver shine to it, you could try sharpie-ing it and then sealing it with hairspray, but you'd have to be careful about it so you don't end up with stiff hair. (Assuming it has any length to it. If it's a short/specifically styled wig, having a wig that could stand up to a hurricane without a stray strand my be right up your alley.)

The good thing is that even if you end up doing it and disliking it, sharpie dying comes off if you give the wig an alcohol bath.

kaji

Okay, so I have a question; I'm trying to cosplay as Evil Rao, from Okami...the question is, how does one get a kimono to show that much, er, assets, and not actually flash the whole convention?

phoenixphire24

Quote from: kaji on January 06, 2008, 05:24:54 PM
Okay, so I have a question; I'm trying to cosplay as Evil Rao, from Okami...the question is, how does one get a kimono to show that much, er, assets, and not actually flash the whole convention?

Here's a few suggestions:

Try buying a low cut strapless bra (or a regular bra with clear straps) that's got a cup size one below the size you normally wear. This will give you support and also an extra amount of cleavage.

Buy stick on bra cups. They'll give you coverage, but not much support.

Buy fashion or sports tape (double sided) and use it to stick the edges of the kimono to your skin so that it won't move out of place.

You can also change the costume slightly so that you are more covered up. I couldn't find a picture of the actual character you're cosplaying, but a lot of the time large breasted female characters have breasts that defy gravity and somehow manage to stay hidden behind fabric. The way the costume looks might not be possible in real life without you flashing someone.  ;)

Hope this helps!

kattagory

I cosplayed last year for fanime for my first time. This year, I want to try and be more realistic, so I tried to find a semi-basic costume that I actually planned to do last year, but put on hold for this year. I wanted to do Yuffie Kisaragi from Dirge of Cerberus. I have everything nailed down pretty good... except for the boots. I looked at other cosplayers and didn't really like what they did... what's most confusing is these rectangular segments on the boots... I can't tell if they are embedded or sticking out of the boots. My reference is straight from the game... a video on youtube.

Mrs. Lovett

Hi, I need a real corset in black.
I remember for, about 2 years at fanime now i've seen em in the dealer room.
Yes i know the price ranges, so no need point out the price :3

Please, any info about buying a high quality corset, EMAIL to: [email protected]
No links to any junky plastic bound corsets please. Thanks <3333

Have some shepherd's pie peppered
With actual shepherd on top!
Here's the politician, so oily
It's served with a doily,
Have one!
Try the Friar! Fried, its drier!
The Actor! Thats compactor!

Mrs. Lovett

hey its me again! <33333333333

i found a corset! a ren-friend told me she got hers for her sis on amazon and gave me the link. Eeee. :3

Have some shepherd's pie peppered
With actual shepherd on top!
Here's the politician, so oily
It's served with a doily,
Have one!
Try the Friar! Fried, its drier!
The Actor! Thats compactor!

Kazuma_uzumaki

ah I'm attempting to do a megaman zx cosplay

i need to start on it soon. Does anyone have any reccomended materials that would look good?

LemonBubbles

Hi. I know this is sort of stupid of me, but I'd really like a second opinion. I am planning on making this costume, Pharos from Persona 3:

http://www.dokuganryu.com/scans/megaten/p3/art35.jpg (the boy on top, not the strange, large man ^^)

The only fabric that I could find was this:

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=30b4eed4-2a53-4767-bd47-c4b8a99d52f2

So, does this material look right? Has anyone seen anything that might look better?

Also, he has a little beauty mark and I was wondering if there is a more proffesional and effective way of making one besides just putting on a dot of eyeliner.

Thanks so much in advance!

BrightHeart76

I'm not 100% sure this is the best place for this post.  However, the people who respond here tend to give informed opinions and care about cosplay accuracy so I'd value your opinions.

I am cosplaying as Tsunade from Naruto this year.  One thing that I'm hung up on is her forehead.  I had always assumed that the symbol on her forehead was a bindi.  A bindi's supposed to represent enlightenment and such so that always made sense to me.  However, on closer examination it looks like it's actually part of her skin.  Would I be completely out of my mind if I used a bindi anyway?  Or would I do better to draw this symbol onto my skin with an eyebrow pencil or something?

Suggestions are always welcome.  Thank you in advance for sharing any opinions or advice.

Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Dragon Ninja

I need a pair of orange pants for my Naruto costume but I can't find it, please help.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

HavicMichaelchris

I wanted some input on my L wig... Do you think I did a good job seeing as it was horrible before I decided to kick it's butt about an hour ago?

Front:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/HAVIC/Lwig003.jpg

Right Side:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/HAVIC/Lwig002.jpg

Back:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/HAVIC/Lwig001.jpg

Left Side:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/HAVIC/Lwig004.jpg

thoughts? complaints? compliments?
Cosplays: L, Kyo, Pip, Ed, Luxord, And more listed elsewhere.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on January 28, 2008, 06:01:38 PM
I'm not 100% sure this is the best place for this post.  However, the people who respond here tend to give informed opinions and care about cosplay accuracy so I'd value your opinions.

I am cosplaying as Tsunade from Naruto this year.  One thing that I'm hung up on is her forehead.  I had always assumed that the symbol on her forehead was a bindi.  A bindi's supposed to represent enlightenment and such so that always made sense to me.  However, on closer examination it looks like it's actually part of her skin.  Would I be completely out of my mind if I used a bindi anyway?  Or would I do better to draw this symbol onto my skin with an eyebrow pencil or something?

Suggestions are always welcome.  Thank you in advance for sharing any opinions or advice.

I think a bindi or even a regular sticker would be fine. I'm sure that a pencil would work too, but it will probably get smudged. As long as the bindi or sticker has glue that won't unstick if it's hot or sweaty, you'll be fine. You might want to find a few and test them out.