Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread

Started by angeljibrille, March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM

BunofGovt

Quote from: sweet_milk_tea on March 26, 2008, 01:54:56 PM
i am planning to cosplay as agito/akito and i'm wondering if : i use a jacket that looks like its from the character but not exactly...and make modifications to it would it still be considered cosplay, if i just looked like the charcter...would that be acepted by people? i know some people are like" no! make your own costume thats cheating!!!"

Cheating?  I don't think you'd be able to win in the Masquarade with a mostly purchased cosplay, or at least the construction part of the contest, but there are people who purchase whole outfits already made (myself included).  It's acceptable to buy a piece of clothing and then modify it.  I've done that, too, bought a lab coat and then cut the sleeves off, and slit the sides to make an FMA outfit for a friend.  So go for it!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

UsakoMinako

:D hey guys!
well its another year at fanime con !Woo! And we need HELP! Well we want to do a KON Mascot and are tossing around a few ideaas but how would you make a light weight sturdy head?? Has anyone made a nice reliable mascot costume?

KyraEnsui

Anyone have a good idea where to get a belt choker? Yeah, a choker that looks like a belt. ^^ Thank you.

GS Dragono

I'm posting here on behalf of friend- She's in dire need for a turorial or sewing pattern for a knee-length frill skirt! She really wants to duplicate this http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/GS_Dragono/gothic646.jpg skirt for a cosplay. Any help out there?

BunofGovt

Quote from: KyraEnsui on April 05, 2008, 04:03:24 PM
Anyone have a good idea where to get a belt choker? Yeah, a choker that looks like a belt. ^^ Thank you.

Only a suggestion: I can only think of HotTopic or Spencer's?  Or can you get the belt buckle from a fabric store and fashion a mini belt?  I think some buckles are that small, or a wristwatch buckle from an old wristwatch?

Quote from: GS Dragono on April 06, 2008, 08:29:20 PM
I'm posting here on behalf of friend- She's in dire need for a turorial or sewing pattern for a knee-length frill skirt! She really wants to duplicate this http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/GS_Dragono/gothic646.jpg skirt for a cosplay. Any help out there?

another suggestion:  The skirt looks like a petticoat, somewhat, with a slightly fitted skirt pattern from the waist to the hip, and then 3 layers of ruffles attached.  Have you checked Jo-Ann's or another fabric store, look in the costumes sections of the pattern books.  Try googling petticoat patterns and see if you come up with anything more useful?  Not necessarily victorian, but maybe like the country swing dancing petticoats.

If you can get the smoother skirt part, then practice sewing a ruffle and attaching it.  The ruffle might be able to be cut from a straight strip of material, I don't know if you have to cut in a slight curve, or circular motion, although I have done the ruffled collar for a top by cutting a curved piece, then sewing one side of iit in a straight line.

tehmo

I'm currently in the process of making Shalua Rui's arm (from Dirge of Cerberus) and have all the materials that I need to make it... but am having severe difficulty in finding a tutorial as to how to make a metal arm. I've found several for Edward Elric's arm, but it's completely different and hasn't been much help at all. <.<;;

Any ideas?
Shalua Rui - FFVII Dirge of Cerberus
Sunako Nakahara - Yamatonadeshiko Shichihenge
10 Of Clubs - Original Gothic Lolita

BrightHeart76

I know someone commented on wigs before, but I can't find the information.

I need help with my wigs.  I wore one last year and it hurt so bad I had to take it off after less then half an hour, and I still bruised from it.  I used a wig cap and bobby pins.  The wig is long (about the my rear end) but not that awful heavy.  What did I do wrong?  How can I avoid this same mistake this year?

I have 3 different wigs I need to wear.  The same long one from last year, a short one, and a mid length one.  I have to wear the mid lenght one (Lady Tsunade from Naruto) for about 4 hours one day.  HELP!  I am hopeless.  Advice is always greatly appreciated.

Also, completely off topic.  Is there anyone who is good at painting fingernails?  Tsunade has red finger nails, but red fingernails are completely out of character for Sophie (Howl's Moving Castle) and Nuriko (Fushigi Yugi).  I'll bring the nail polish and will pay a fair price if anyone is willing to help me paint my nails Saturday night...I'm just no good at it.  PM me if you're willing to help!
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Pika1979

well i have a big problem. My boyfriend loves to dress up as odd things for fanime. one year i went as Menchi and he was my grill. Well this year I am taking him to the yaoi room and so he wants to dress as a large ear of corn. no you did not read that wrong I did type a large ear of corn. those who are a fan of yaoi will understand the joke. those who are not will more than likely laugh anyway. well no work has been done on this at all mostly because I am at a loss of how to even start making something like this. any thing that can help in the crative process of this would be wonderful. thanks!

BrightHeart76

Quote from: Pika1979 on April 19, 2008, 11:59:09 PM
well i have a big problem. My boyfriend loves to dress up as odd things for fanime. one year i went as Menchi and he was my grill. Well this year I am taking him to the yaoi room and so he wants to dress as a large ear of corn. no you did not read that wrong I did type a large ear of corn. those who are a fan of yaoi will understand the joke. those who are not will more than likely laugh anyway. well no work has been done on this at all mostly because I am at a loss of how to even start making something like this. any thing that can help in the crative process of this would be wonderful. thanks!

It's not the best quality, but it is cheap.  And giving how close we are to fanime it might be a good idea to ge one that's premade.  Try this http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=HAM027&mode=Searching&erec=0&D=corn%2Bcostumes&Ntk=all&Source=Google&cm_mmc=Google-_-OTC%2BSendTec%2BApparel-_-adult%2Bcostume-_-corn%2Bcostume&Ntt=corn%2Bcostumes&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&searchTerm=corn%2Bcostumes&N=0&BP=8917&sd=Corn+Adult+Costume
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Pika1979

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on April 20, 2008, 08:09:24 AM
Quote from: Pika1979 on April 19, 2008, 11:59:09 PM

It's not the best quality, but it is cheap.  And giving how close we are to fanime it might be a good idea to ge one that's premade.  Try this http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=HAM027&mode=Searching&erec=0&D=corn%2Bcostumes&Ntk=all&Source=Google&cm_mmc=Google-_-OTC%2BSendTec%2BApparel-_-adult%2Bcostume-_-corn%2Bcostume&Ntt=corn%2Bcostumes&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&searchTerm=corn%2Bcostumes&N=0&BP=8917&sd=Corn+Adult+Costume
sorry i forgot to say that a premade will not work because he is a plus size....to the max, we have problesm getting stuff for him at big and tall some times.

BunofGovt

This is just a suggestion and maybe will give you an idea or inspire you:

You might try finding large sheets of foam, like the foam liners for mattresses.  Check for foam suppliers in your area.  If you're near Albany, CA, there's a shop on Solano Ave.  You'll probably need at least as tall as he is, plus one or two feet extra, for the point.

Cut out the shapes, I guess maybe either 2 flat pieces to be the front and back, and then paint or draw the kernel outlines on the foam?  (I think I've seen foam in that yellowish color.)  Sew or staple the pieces together up to the top and cut out a circle for the face.

Green felt is available by the yard at Jo-Ann's Fabrics and other fabric shops.  Buy enough to make the husk.  Glue the husk to the corn.  That is, if you are using husk.

Or buy yellow felt for the corn portion, also.  Or buy yellow pre-quilted fabric (in the children's yardage section?).

Rette

For the corn part if you wanted some texture you could spray paint large bubblewrap yellow.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Pika1979

thanks for all the help both sound like good ideas. we went and ordered the one size fits all one and are going to go from there. that should cut down the time for construction. my use the quilded fabric thing... lots of good ideas thank you all!

Oniko

I need some Wig help. 
Anyone have suggestions for how to make a little piece on a wig stick up?  you know how some characters have a little piece of hair that sticks up?  Well thats what I want to to.  So if anyone has advice I'd be greatful.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

BunofGovt

I saw something in CosMode where someone used silicon caulk on a strip of wig hair (I think it was synthetic), smoothed it in and then clipped it on a huge curler to get a curl.  I haven't tried it myself and I don't know if you could smooth the caulk in, and then clip the bit of hair to something straight or flat and let it dry a couple of hours. Probably depends on how long the bit of hair is that you want to stick up, and how big a clump (finger width?  palm width?).  Can you tell us which character this is for, so maybe someone else would have a better suggestion?

I also did a cosplay of a character from Saiyuki who has five long stands of hair coming from the top of his head right at the edge of the forehead. The rest of his hair is pulled back smoothly in a bun.  Rather then get a wig, I got complicated about it and ironed black fusible interfacing to thin wire.  I trimmed the interfacing to a thin strip about a 1/4 inch wide.  I then attached the wires to a wig clip (this is a tiny clip like a hair clip that you can sew to the inside of a wig to help keep it steady on your hair) and then placed the clip right at the foreline of my hair.  I curved the wire so it looked like the three strands of hair curving up and out from my head.  Sorry this image isn't very clear.

Oniko

not that helps a lot, I'll have to try it.  I guess I'm worried about ruining the wig, because it is very very nice.
The person I'm cosplaying as is Shana from Shakugan no Shana.  As you can see it's just a little part of the hair that sticks up.  This isnt really even a big thing as I'm sure fans will know I'm suppose to be Shana, but I wanted to try it.

06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

seiginomikata

Quote from: Oniko on April 30, 2008, 11:57:53 AM
As you can see it's just a little part of the hair that sticks up.  This isnt really even a big thing as I'm sure fans will know I'm suppose to be Shana, but I wanted to try it.

Lots of hairspray and a blow dryer.   Take the little bit you want, spray it so it's almost saturated, and hold it in place and use the blowdryer on it until it's totally dry.

If you're not happy with it, it washes out and you can try again.

Fructose

Quote from: seiginomikata on April 30, 2008, 12:03:46 PM
Quote from: Oniko on April 30, 2008, 11:57:53 AM
As you can see it's just a little part of the hair that sticks up.  This isnt really even a big thing as I'm sure fans will know I'm suppose to be Shana, but I wanted to try it.

Lots of hairspray and a blow dryer.   Take the little bit you want, spray it so it's almost saturated, and hold it in place and use the blowdryer on it until it's totally dry.

If you're not happy with it, it washes out and you can try again.

Be careful with the blowdryer, though. Use it on cool or only very gently/quickly, since if you stick it there for a minute on high heat, you're going to heat-damage the fiber, which makes it all kinky and gross looking.

Eri Kagami

Just need to sew in two zippers and hem a few things.

Then I'll be all set. ^^

Devi 1313

Anyone have tips for working with Model Magic? I bought tons of the stuff and tried to use it for Sumomo's hat but it was so spongey that when I tried to mold it over a bowl it got tons of micro-tears all over the surface. Also when I tried to draw lines in it they just sort of got re-absorbed.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313