Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread

Started by angeljibrille, March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM

UsakoMinako

Quote from: Pika1979 on April 19, 2008, 11:59:09 PM
he wants to dress as a large ear of corn. no you did not read that wrong I did type a large ear of corn.

WOO that is soo funny! I have seen people do grapes out of balloons, so If you wanted to go that route you can get a bunch of yellow balloons and tape or saftey pin the mouth piece to a corn-type shaped body piece. If you REALLY want to make a costume, i'd make a slight cone shape with foam , top it off and cut a head and arms hole(s). Then I'd stuff yellow spandex or tights and cluster the heck out of the foam. for fun- a pat of butter would be hilarious!

abcbadcat

I have a few questions...

1) Where can I buy sheets of neoprene and vinyl?
2) Where is a good fabric store where I can buy bright yellow felt? (I've tried Michaels and Walmart but no dice)
3) If I were to go to Kinkos with a .jpg... Is there a way I can buy some iron on paper and switch the paper in the printer to the iron on paper? Would that work and if so, would I need to horizontally flip the images (mirror so they iron on correctly)?

BTW I live in San Jose and am rushing last minute for costumes.

Kandybar

You can buy vinyl and felt at Joann's (I've bought specifically yellow felt there before, woot) but I don't know about the Neoprene and have absolutely no idea about Kinko's - though you could probably call and ask.

ININ

Any glue suggestions to glue fabric to leather boots.  Can Krazy Glue work?  Or is there a better glue.

Rette

Anything stronger than Elmer's will probably work fine. Tacky glue is a pretty good all-purpose craft glue. You could also try epoxy but that's designed for plastics, woods, metals and fiberglass, not sure what it would do to leather.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

BunofGovt

Try Fabri-Tac (from Jo-Anns Fabric stores or a craft store like Michael's).  A hardware store might also carry it, like the ACE stores.  The label says it work sofr fabric and leather.  I've tried it on fabric but it hardens a bit stiff.  Try it on a sample first.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Truten

I totally should have said this sooner but I didn't look at it until now. You can paper mache it...and reinforce it with many layers. That's what I did for my badtzumaru head.

Quote from: UsakoMinako on April 04, 2008, 06:22:44 PM
:D hey guys!
well its another year at fanime con !Woo! And we need HELP! Well we want to do a KON Mascot and are tossing around a few ideaas but how would you make a light weight sturdy head?? Has anyone made a nice reliable mascot costume?

maeiounj39

ININ

Rette and BunofGovt, thank you for the suggestions ^__^  I was successful and my cosplay was worn at Fanime.

shy-cosplayer

HI! I'm planning on making my cosplay for next year, and i want to be Yuri Kurosu from Magikano.

I can't find any patterns of her for when she turns into her witches outfit [as seen in episode 3, 10, 12, and 13]. Can somebody please help me?

=]

yumicchi88

can someone give me a good picture of
syaoran's sword (CCS one or the one clone has)
syaoran's staff (the chrono staff)

(anime: tsubasa)
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

MidnightRosebud

Question:
Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for Hakama?

@ abcbadcat

I know this is waaaay beyond when you needed help with this, but if it ever pops up again...Answer to #2: Beverly's is an AWESOME craft and fabric store. I usually find everything I need there for cosplay, minus things like wigs. XP
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

Charis

Quote from: MidnightRosebud on June 15, 2008, 04:19:44 PMQuestion:

Web-stuff: http://www.sarcasm-hime.net/hakamapattern.html and http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Clothes/japmake.htm
Paper patterns: Round Earth and Folkwear both have one.  The Folkwear one is more of a pattern for the backboard and notes on the rest, but includes a pleating diagram -- which, to me, was enough pattern.  A hakama is mostly math, after all. :3

Hope that helps!
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

shy-cosplayer

i need a mandarin top pattern. where can i find that?

BrightHeart76

Quote from: shy-cosplayer on June 17, 2008, 07:32:57 PM
i need a mandarin top pattern. where can i find that?

Simplicity has some good ones.  You can find a catalog at any fabric store.  JoAnn's usually has them on sale every few weeks so you could get the pattern pretty cheap.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: Charis on June 15, 2008, 04:39:40 PM
Quote from: MidnightRosebud on June 15, 2008, 04:19:44 PMQuestion:

Web-stuff: http://www.sarcasm-hime.net/hakamapattern.html and http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Clothes/japmake.htm
Paper patterns: Round Earth and Folkwear both have one.  The Folkwear one is more of a pattern for the backboard and notes on the rest, but includes a pleating diagram -- which, to me, was enough pattern.  A hakama is mostly math, after all. :3

Hope that helps!

I thank you again, most profusely! TT.TT
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

shy-cosplayer

BunofGovt

Personally, no matter what the outfit, I usually try to make it out of some kind of cotton/linen material because it breathes easier.  Most of the cons I go to are in warmer weather.  I like to be comfortable.  But depending on whether its supposed to be slightly stiff or flowing you could try making it out of vinyl, pleather,  a knit or polyester.  Whatever you can work with.  When you go into the fabric store, feel the material and drape it over your arm.  Ask the clerks how easy it is to sew and work with.  Knits and polyesters, though warmer, won't wrinkle as much.  You could also see if you can find a white stretch denim.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Roguethe

Does anyone have good advice for making guns?

I know I'll probabally use pvc piping for some of it, but does anyone have tips or tricks to make it look really good?
I need to make a rifle

I draw sometimessss

Dragon Ninja

I need the long black headband that Naruto wears in Part2/Shippuuden. My idea is to purchase an already made headband and harvest it for the metal plate and attach it to a custom made headband. My question is how do I remove the plate and attach it a new headband? Also, what do I use to make the headband and pattern and where do I find the material needed?

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW