Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread

Started by angeljibrille, March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM

bahamutknightzero

Well as a heads up, I am going to attempt to pass (so that means possible shaving of unwanted body hair).

To also aid myself, I will also have the proper gear to help (gaffs, padding, etc) in terms of body appearance.

As for items, I would have tights on (used to better hide the padding and gaffs from showing).

Its just probably one article of the costume in question that I would have worries about. The item in question would be a leotard with a questionable cut in the back (I don't think it would need explaining, but ask in case you need one).

Now I will also be wearing a cloak as part of the attire, but the main issue would be with the leotard.

I know the explanation was a bit all over the place and maybe a bit confusing, but I'm trying to come up with the best way to explain it without seeming all weird and everything.

GomenNasaiPro

hmm...  I was wondering if anyone can give me ideas for L's hair from death note 

thanks

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: GomenNasaiPro on January 09, 2009, 10:04:23 PM
hmm...  I was wondering if anyone can give me ideas for L's hair from death note 

thanks

Well are you looking to use your own hair or a wig?

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: BunofGovt on January 08, 2009, 08:00:30 PM
Ask away!  It is a family friendly con, so some caution should be exercised in your crossplay.  I've seen some very good crossplay, by the way, and nothing too extreme.  And I have seen some extreme cosplay which should be covered up!   ;D

Just a heads up to tell ya that my post to your post has been posted on the 8th page (I forgot to quote so I don't think you would've seen the post the first time).

BunofGovt

Well, rules will be posted at some time soon re cosplay (weapons, etc) and I'm sure will mention, um, possible risque outfits  :D. 

You might want to email the staff with a picture of what you are trying to attempt (if it's an anime character) (not sure of the exact email / staff, can't find it in the Cosplay threads but I'm sure one of the mods or someone will post it).

But if you're wearing a cloak, won't that cover your back?
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: BunofGovt on January 16, 2009, 11:01:34 PM
Well, rules will be posted at some time soon re cosplay (weapons, etc) and I'm sure will mention, um, possible risque outfits  :D. 

You might want to email the staff with a picture of what you are trying to attempt (if it's an anime character) (not sure of the exact email / staff, can't find it in the Cosplay threads but I'm sure one of the mods or someone will post it).

But if you're wearing a cloak, won't that cover your back?

Well it's a bit of a made up/original character, but I do have two preliminary sketches that the person that is making three of my items (cloak/choker/scythe prop) drew up.

As for the cloak, that was kind of the point as a precaution of some sort, but it could go well with the costume.

I could also come up with what the actual items appear like (leotard and tights were bought at American Apparel for example).

I just somewhat on pins and needles in wanting the costume to get the ok/not marked as illegal. I mean to go through all the work and prep time to do a crossplay (my first actual attempt at trying to pass, so ya I'll shave), to only get told that what I have is illegal, I'm going to feel kind of embarrassed and disappointed.

Any other questions you have, you can respond or PM me or send me an email.

bahamutknightzero

BunofGovt: Or if you have a list or know of good people I can ask/e-mail about my costume issues/questions/queries (sp?), could you send me that info?

K&K4ever

I'm about 90% done with the Okita costume (just finished the Kimono and obi) and now all I need to do is find a wig and Geta :D
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: EeveeGirl101 on January 04, 2009, 11:01:26 AM
Does anyone here know how to make the kimono the Shinigami in Bleach wear? This is going to be my first time sowing with fabric and the like, so I thought I'd stop here for some tips before I began. For the white under piece, or whatever you call it, I was thinking of making just a shirt with long sleeves. Does this sound like a good idea, or should I just go the cheap way most dealers do and sow it on to the inside of the black kimono itself? Also, how do you make the kimono, anyhow?

Sorry for the load of questions, it's just that the ones I have found online look flimsy, and not well made. (And not in my size! :D! I'm guessing that by now you can tell I'm a kid, right?)

Do you wish to sew an actual kimono then? From scratch?

If you do, "Simplicity" has a very good pattern under "Costumes for adults." Pattern 4080. There's very long-sleeved, and short-sleeved as well. And if you know anyone who knows their way around a pattern, you should do just fine.

I only aquired this pattern recently however, and actually modelled my Shinigami outfit off a bathrobe pattern. XDDDDD
Although, I did make two. A complete white one, and a complete black one, and then sewed the two together. Which was a little dumb in retrospect cause I should have just used the white as a lining, but there you have it. I'm learning with each new outit I make. >.<

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. ^__^
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

shy-cosplayer

I need to find a Yuki Sohma wig. Where can I find one?

???

Druix

Yeah, so....does anyone have any idea how to make a dress out of latex? >.< This is probably pretty ambitious, but you see, my friends and I want to be as ACCURATE as possible with our Silent Hill nurse costumes, and in the movie, the dresses were made of latex. So does anyone know of a tutorial, or can tell me how? Or am I just insane for even wanting to try? ^^;

2010 Cosplays:
~Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto: Shippuuden)
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
~Cain (Starfighter)
~Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

roth14

Does anyone know or would like to give me tips on how to make Machika form Immortal rain scythe?

Sorry bets pic I could get of the scythe: http://www.nexternal.com/dreamland/images/immortalRain_v06.jpg

Rette

Quote from: roth14 on February 05, 2009, 04:11:43 PM
Does anyone know or would like to give me tips on how to make Machika form Immortal rain scythe?

Sorry bets pic I could get of the scythe: http://www.nexternal.com/dreamland/images/immortalRain_v06.jpg

Do you have access to power tools? You could make that out of wood easily enough, just need a jigsaw and a power drill.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

K&K4ever

The Link Tunic is FINALLY done, that thing took a long time.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

roth14

Quote from: Rette on February 05, 2009, 07:50:51 PM

Do you have access to power tools? You could make that out of wood easily enough, just need a jigsaw and a power drill.

I'll just have to convince my Dad to help but yes. I am just not sure about how I am going to build the blade part since i can't and don't want to use metal

Rette

Quote from: roth14 on February 06, 2009, 06:58:36 AM

I'll just have to convince my Dad to help but yes. I am just not sure about how I am going to build the blade part since i can't and don't want to use metal

You can make that out of wood as well. Some 1/4" or 3/8" stuff. Just don't hit anything with it.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

roth14

Quote from: Rette on February 06, 2009, 02:31:50 PM

You can make that out of wood as well. Some 1/4" or 3/8" stuff. Just don't hit anything with it.

Would paper mache, cardboard, or even a foam work?

Rette

Quote from: roth14 on February 06, 2009, 05:59:41 PM
Quote from: Rette on February 06, 2009, 02:31:50 PM

Any or all. You could use cardboard/foamcore as a base and do paper mache over it to get rid of the rough edges.

Would paper mache, cardboard, or even a foam work?

Any of the above, but foam can be hard to make look "clean" (foam-core maybe).

LastExile

I'm going to cosplay Prof. Stein from Soul Eater, and I need to find a way to make his screw. I was thinking of carving it out of styrofoam, then supergluing it to a small indiscreet headband, but I heard that styrofoam is horrible to work with. Any suggestions?

Me_Like_Pie

I have a question about the pink/blue insulation foam that everyone is so fond of using for oversized swords.

I know precisely WHAT I want, and that would be the Styrofoam brand extruded polystyrene foam (the dense blue stuff), but I can't for the life of me find a local place to buy it.  I know I can order it online, but shipping for a large plank of foam is ridiculous, and I'd rather not pay more for shipping than the actual product.

Luckily, I live in San Jose, so I was hoping some of you local Fanime-goers might know of a foam supplier in the city (or near).  Any help would be much appreciated.

PS: I checked Home Depot (the obvious first place to look) and all they had was expanded polystyrene bead board (the stuff with all those annoying super-clingy foam balls).
One to be born from a dragon hoisting the light and the dark arises high up in the sky to the still land.
Veiling the moon with the light of eternity, it brings another promise to Mother Earth with a bounty and mercy.
- Mysidian Prophecy