Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread

Started by angeljibrille, March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM

macaulayman

Fates leg armor could easily be molded and cast ing resin ( email me with and specific questions).

macaulayman

Kamen rider, Why don't you just replace the blade in the toy? Or is it too small over all?

XpHoBiaX

If you can't do resin, pringles cans and craft foam is a nice, cheaper alternative.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

yumicchi88

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on June 05, 2009, 10:29:05 AM
If you can't do resin, pringles cans and craft foam is a nice, cheaper alternative.

Pringles cans!! That's a great idea!
(if its not for Fates costume, either way it helped! )
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

macaulayman

Define cheaper... They can be nice and simple but what if this is a piece you're going to wear often? Resin would hold up better in the long run. It's a great idea though for shorter wearing costumes though.

XpHoBiaX

I made predator armor with nothing but pingles cans and craft foam. I make wrist guards, guantlets, shin guards, I even made a gun arm with pingles cans. These things are used in combination, so that they can last during long periods of wear. You can make any kind of armor with pringles cans. You can make props too.
Using those things in combination, rather then individualy, makes them more durable.

I can also build armor out of plastic buckets, soda/juice bottles, rubber maid mats, anything you can find at a dollar store, or stuff around the house.  I'll get a topic up in Incredible Things I can Make, so you can see examples.

That and resin is heavy. I have a resin helmet I wore for my predator cosplay last year. @_@ It wasn't that much, but it got heavy after a while.

2010 cosplay...?

yumicchi88

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on June 06, 2009, 02:31:30 PM
I made predator armor with nothing but pingles cans and craft foam. I make wrist guards, guantlets, shin guards, I even made a gun arm with pingles cans. These things are used in combination, so that they can last during long periods of wear. You can make any kind of armor with pringles cans. You can make props too.
Using those things in combination, rather then individualy, makes them more durable.

I can also build armor out of plastic buckets, soda/juice bottles, rubber maid mats, anything you can find at a dollar store, or stuff around the house.  I'll get a topic up in Incredible Things I can Make, so you can see examples.

That and resin is heavy. I have a resin helmet I wore for my predator cosplay last year. @_@ It wasn't that much, but it got heavy after a while.

do you have picture of it?
I want to get inspiration.
Thank you!
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: yumicchi88 on June 06, 2009, 09:56:22 PM
do you have picture of it?
I want to get inspiration.
Thank you!

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12752.0.html

I made a topic here for you to view. :) I am currently looking for pics of me wearing the outfit. I'll update when I get them.

2010 cosplay...?

BunofGovt

X, you totally rock.  thanks for the thread.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

ININ

Anyone suggest a product to mark on the fabric for sewing?  The product is a pen, a chalk, a fabric safe writing tool to mark where to sew when sewing?

kakashifangurl1

Quote from: ININ on June 17, 2009, 10:11:56 AM
Anyone suggest a product to mark on the fabric for sewing?  The product is a pen, a chalk, a fabric safe writing tool to mark where to sew when sewing?
When using darker materials I just use a white colored pencil. But lighter fabrics I use a pen that goes on purple then fades away.

Charis

I used to use blue wash-out pen on light fabric, but got sick and tired of having to launder finished garments.  Now it's a combination of chaco-liner markers (a little expensive without coupons, but so awesome) and normal supermarket chalk when I can find it.  I've had bad experiences with the fade-out pens not going away in the past, so I shun those except for silk.

Question: does anyone know of a sealer that won't turn Liquid Leaf yellow?  I've had it happen pretty blatantly on my silver stuff, and less obtrusively on the pewter, with a normal gloss spray sealer, brush-on gloss varnish for acrylics, and Modge Podge, and it's driving me batty.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

SweetNiar

Quote from: Charis on June 17, 2009, 02:39:34 PM

I used to use blue wash-out pen on light fabric, but got sick and tired of having to launder finished garments.  Now it's a combination of chaco-liner markers (a little expensive without coupons, but so awesome) and normal supermarket chalk when I can find it.  I've had bad experiences with the fade-out pens not going away in the past, so I shun those except for silk.

Question: does anyone know of a sealer that won't turn Liquid Leaf yellow?  I've had it happen pretty blatantly on my silver stuff, and less obtrusively on the pewter, with a normal gloss spray sealer, brush-on gloss varnish for acrylics, and Modge Podge, and it's driving me batty.
I went to a place called Artel, art store in my area that has almost everything I need for my artsy projects :D  I got this spray that promised the world it wouldnt give you a yellow tint when it dried. I tried it out on a wooden stick I was painting to make a staff, and I applied a light layer and it kept its promise.  Only had a tiny tiny yellow glob on the end because I got too much on the end, but it worked just fine :)

The brand is Krylon: Crystal Clear, Acrylic Coating 1303A.  Works on wood, metal, plastic, papier mache, glass, plaster, ceamic, dried/silk flowers, paper wicker, painted surfaces, etc.  I got a 6 oz spray can....not sure if it comes in any other sizes.

BSaphire

I use several different types of marking materials for pattern making. It really boils down to the material in making the decision, but for the most part I use watercolor pencils in white, very light blue and black. For materials like jean, corduroy and heavy material like this I use papermate pen or # 2 pencil. For silk, rayon, crepe, etc it is a toss up between watercolor pencil & tracing paper.

The water color pencil reason is because I can dot or dash my pattern on the material. I dip it in water and continue working. I like it much better than the fabric markers I have bought and it washes out really well. Just make sure to use the right color for what you are working with.. white to light color materials = really light blue/white/ light yellow pencil; medium to dark colored materials = black or dark gray pencil. Not necessarily greatest for long lines in one stroke, but will do lines ( I do it for edges and curves of a pattern)

Pencil will fade with washings, so keep it light, and ball point pen can be removed by using hairspray. spray small area at a time (2-4" square) spray till wet and then blot with paper towel. Repeat as necessary. Launder as required when finished removing pen. I try to stay away from synthetics when using ballpoint pen because this type of removal can have some drastic effects on the material, but some of my greatest discoveries have been through mishaps ^^)

Hope this helps ^^)
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

ININ

kakashifangurl1, Charis, and BSaphire, thanks for the replies ^__^  I went to JoAnn and purchased a sewer's pencil marking set.  Set comes with a whilte and blue chalk pencils, fabric eraser, and sharpener.  Used a coupon of course $-)

Quote from: Charis on June 17, 2009, 02:39:34 PM
I used to use blue wash-out pen on light fabric, but got sick and tired of having to launder finished garments.  Now it's a combination of chaco-liner markers (a little expensive without coupons, but so awesome) and normal supermarket chalk when I can find it.  I've had bad experiences with the fade-out pens not going away in the past, so I shun those except for silk.

Is chaco-liner markers a brand name for a pencil or marker?  The person at JoAnn's didn't know what chaco liner markers are.  Can you provide more info?

Charis

Quote from: ININ on June 29, 2009, 03:59:04 PMIs chaco-liner markers a brand name for a pencil or marker?  The person at JoAnn's didn't know what chaco liner markers are.  Can you provide more info?

I think that's the brand name -- they're neither pencil nor marker, but a plastic tube with powdered chalk inside and a rolling click-wheel mechanism.  (I'll try to remember to throw mine in my repair kit for AX, in case you want to peek at it.)
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

Charis

Wow, I fail -- it was even in my bag at AX when you were in our hotel room and everything and I forgot to dig it out.  T_T  Yes, that's what I was talking about.
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

shy-cosplayer

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Zack Fair wig that I can style into the older version?

ruby19_4

Everyone know how to keep a wig on. Well its a deidera wig. It keep falling backwards. Eventhough the headband is there. Its so annoying.