Quick Question for the Confused

Started by cocoavvie, March 13, 2007, 10:08:52 PM

cocoavvie

Im new to this convention stuff, but I read the registration.
So if I dont want to register for the whole weekend, I'll have to get a membership at the convention and attend only that day, right?

Krnchichiri

Yep. Not a weekend pass registrations are sold at the open Con. ^^
Weekend passes are also sold there, too.
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

otakuapprentice

yea, thats pretty much how it works. if you only plan on attending that day, then you would be in a better position to simply buy a single-day pass at the con. that way, you dont end up buying a full weekend pass and only end up using it for one day.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

FanFicGuru

In addition, SHOW UP EARLY the day you want to get in.

The lines are typically horrendous. I took my sisters on Saturday last year and they didn't have pre-reg passes. So, we had to wait in line for over 2 hours...I think it was closer to 3 hours. So please, if you don't want a big chunk of your time spent in line, SHOW UP EARLY.

P.S: This isn't a hit at the registration crew, I know there are a lot of people to process and stuff, it just makes sense to show up early in order to get in faster.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Sen

It is true that on-site registration takes a very long time so try and get there as early as you can. We are expecting that there will be even more people on Saturday than last year so be forewarned!!
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

cocoavvie

Wait, now I'm a little confused. x_x
So should I register online too, or just at the convention?

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "cocoavvie"Wait, now I'm a little confused. x_x
So should I register online too, or just at the convention?
if you are only going for one day, then you'll need to register at the convention the day you plan on attending.

if you plan to attend the whole weekend, then register for a full weekend pass.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

cocoavvie  I will give you this tip from a long time Fanime Attendee.

If you are going for a day please go to the registration site located on the ground level of the convention center as early as possible.  If you are planning to go a day or two during Saturday or Sunday, please be there the earliest ASAP or as soon as you can since registration lines form very quickly.  I stress this very seriously since they are the busiest days and it takes time to fill out paperwork, to process your registration fee and lastly create a paper badge.  After all that is done pick up your Fanime Program and Schedule of Events.  If you need to find out what events are going on and where do not hesitate to ask registration or the info desks inside the con.

If I can remember if do not pre-register on the website for the laminated badge (all 4-days) you have to pay around $25.00-$30.00 a day.

In the next couple of days, registration staff will put up the prices for each day you want to attend the con (I HOPE!) and sorry there is no such thing as 2-3 day at con site passes.  You pay for each day you go if you do not pre-register.  I hope this helps.  :idea:
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

SuperKawaiiNeko

Quote from: "Tsuchimi Rin-chan"cocoavvie  I will give you this tip from a long time Fanime Attendee.

If you are going for a day please go to the registration site located on the ground level of the convention center as early as possible.  If you are planning to go a day or two during Saturday or Sunday, please be there the earliest ASAP or as soon as you can since registration lines form very quickly.  I stress this very seriously since they are the busiest days and it takes time to fill out paperwork, to process your registration fee and lastly create a paper badge.  After all that is done pick up your Fanime Program and Schedule of Events.  If you need to find out what events are going on and where do not hesitate to ask registration or the info desks inside the con.

If I can remember if do not pre-register on the website for the laminated badge (all 4-days) you have to pay around $25.00-$30.00 a day.

In the next couple of days, registration staff will put up the prices for each day you want to attend the con (I HOPE!) and sorry there is no such thing as 2-3 day at con site passes.  You pay for each day you go if you do not pre-register.  I hope this helps.  :idea:

That's a lie, unless things are different this year or changed when I wasnt looking. Are you registration staff? Because Im pretty sure there are Saturday/Sunday passes, and if you dont pre register for a laminated full con pass then you can still buy a full con paper pass at con, and it certainly will not cost you $100-$120.

Unless things have whomg changed while I had my head turned
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Sen

No!

At con passes will not cost you over a hundred dollars.

If you are looking to buy for one day, expect a price of $40-$50, ball park. I think Milton and them are gonna announce the at con prices soon.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Zombie Marshmellow

Im planing to go for one day maybe but do i register at the convention on the day of fanime or befor march 31st?

Kegan_Flame

Quote from: "Zombie Marshmellow"Im planing to go for one day maybe but do i register at the convention on the day of fanime or befor march 31st?

as soon as you can

Pimpstress Rei

This shouldn't be so confusing.

If you want to register for ONE DAY, then you can only register at con. You will get a paper badge. Expect to pay between $30-40 per day.

If you want to register for the WHOLE WEEKEND, and would like the pretty pretty laminated badge, then register online before March 31st. You will pay ~$50 (I'm overseas and it takes forever to open any new windows, so I can't check right now).

If you want to register for the WHOLE WEEKEND, but do so online after March 31st or at con, then you will get a paper badge. Expect to pay ~$55.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

cocoavvie

Where exactly is the registration desk going to be?

:oops: This is going to be my first con and I really don't want to mess up and spend my whole day searching where to go and all. ^_^;;

SuperKawaiiNeko

Good question!

Here, I will give you a map so you can know what I'm talking about. http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/floorplans/conv_layout.jpg

This is a map of the convention center. The top portion is the first floor ("Street Level") and the bottom portion is the second floor ("Exhibit Level") I know it seems a little backwards.

Most of the stuff on this map is pretty self explanitory, so Im going to assume you know where the main enterance is (the one near the large outdoor fountain) and can figure out the difference between the convention center and the two hotels connected to it when you get there.

If this year is anything like previous years, registration will, oddly enough, be held in the "Registration Area" marked on the map. If youre having trouble finding it, it is just across from the Main Enterance, and between the Market Street Enterance/Marriot Hotel and the Arcade/Hilton/Almaden Boulevard Enterance.

When you get there you'll probably see a big line extending west and bending around the walls toward the Market Street Enterance. Remember! When standing in line, please do not block any doors! ^_^000 *volunteer that has worked line duty many times*
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

LordKefka

Yeah I pray I won't get knocked over by a group of too eager Anime fans this year..@__@..
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

cocoavvie

I've looked at the map, and so far I understand most of it.
So from the registration area, I can just head to the stairs/elevator and head to the second floor/Exhibit area, right?

And will there be by any chance maps near the registration area?  :mrgreen:
I plan to go on a sunday, and as much as I know from the site's information, registration is open at 8 am and the fee is 30$, correct?

QuoteYeah I pray I won't get knocked over by a group of too eager Anime fans this year..@__@..

Heh, I hope I won't get knocked over either x_x

Krnchichiri

Hmm, I don't recall maps at the Fanime, but there are lots of people and information desks with people who can tell you where everything is, plus a lot of rovers and other people. ^^;;

Yep, just go up the stairs, registration opens at 8 am, and the fee is $30. ^^ Although... you may want to come and wait in line earlier to avoid waiting in a line for a few hours. @.@ It isn't fun. At all.
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

Tony

Psst... there are food maps and convention maps in the front/back covers of the program guide.  :wink:
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

cocoavvie

Ok, well that's all I wanted to know.  :D
Thank you, everyone.