Is my costume OK for Masquerade?

Started by angeljibrille, March 14, 2007, 01:41:19 AM

zoupzuop2

Good Lord. I've created a mess.

I'm actually quite okay with not being able to perform/compete in the Cosplay event. I actually hadn't exactly poured my life-blood into what I had going in the skit work, and there are other ways to be recognized than perform. I also see the Cosplay competition as more than just a costume contest; then again, I also see it as more than just a skit competition. If it was too much of the former, it'd just be a "Geek Fashion Show" to the uneducated eye; too much of the latter, we'd have nothing but teams of drama students of all ages in pre-purchased costumes performing for a crowd of very few. Neither one in totality works, but one relies on the other. With a few rules regulating skits, and a few regulating costumes, the two balance to keep things fair.

There are many excellent points on both sides of the discussion. Although my experience with Masq's are nil, I can offer my theories for both sides.

True, skits take a lot of effort to coordinate. Had I continued my skit-developing work at this point and discovered my costume was illegitimate, I'd most likely be rather crushed. I have a history with the stage, through acting as well as music; that I wouldn't be able to work with more, talented (maybe the comma isn't necessary?) individuals, would have been sad. However, the rule most likely keeps people from simply grabbing a pre-made costume, rewording some Shakespeare, and conquering over the ones who labored with blood, sweat and tears over their costumes AND skits. It's simply one more barrier for half-behinded-minded individuals with poor intentions, or so the reasoning would appear to me.

On the other side of the coin, a "skit-only" side-event wouldn't be such a terrible idea for '08 (I'd imagine things are getting too close to the wire to throw something like this into '07). Sort'a like "Otaku Theater" or something. However, it may have to be separate/excluded from the Cosplay, for the sake of the very definition of Cosplay. Otherwise it'd fall into the same Drama Student syndrome I brought up earlier.

In either case, if I'm accurate or awful with this sort of thing, I don't think that these sorts of details are worth getting too worked up over. It'd be better to swallow one's pride for a small moment in time and maintain a friendship (or at least a benevolent relation) than to be right and lose their alliance... at the risk of me sounding like a fortune cookie for saying that. If a problem still seems pressing, maybe a time when Fanime '08 is taking improvement suggestions would be ideal to let it be known.

(... Besides. I could very well find a group of "Cosplay-Legal", for lack of a better term, Ranma ½ cosplayers/performers interested in the project and lend them the script(s), just as long as they gave me the proper credit. Or the 3-Min. Video has some space for that sort of thing. Who knows? The possibilities are still pretty big...)

If I've crossed a line or offended anyone with this post, contact me and I will edit/delete this post accordingly.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Leona

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Good Lord. I've created a mess.

If I've crossed a line or offended anyone with this post, contact me and I will edit/delete this post accordingly.

Actually, I've decided not to post further on this after this message, particularly because your attitude about the whole thing is so good. What has been driving me crazy is the "It's not faaaaair" sort of whining. In an ideal situation, the Masquerade would be full of people who had both astonishing costumes AND amazing skits wrapped up in a single package. It's not an ideal world, of course, and there is a conflict between those who wish to participate, and perhaps win awards, while being able to rely on their strengths instead of their weaknesses. People who feel themselves to be better at costumes don't want to be forced out if they don't have an awesome skit. (This is not as unlikely as one might think; there are complaints of "too many walk-ons" every year, after all, and there are already conventions at which not having a skit for Masquerade is "strongly discouraged.") Meanwhile people who feel themselves to be better at skits don't want to be forced out if they don't make their costumes. This is entirely understandable, and if people would talk about it constructively it wouldn't be a problem, but instead there's been a lot of "It's not fair" and "boycott" and other such nonsense being thrown around, and that kind of thing makes me see red.

I'm not staff, so I certainly have no say in what will happen, but for this year it's a bit too late to start changing the event now. For next year, however, there are a number of approaches that could be made. Starting a skit-only contest is one potential option. I suspect that it might not be as popular at first, but to be entirely fair, every event requires some time to build up momentum (the same was true of Masquerades when they got started). So there's really no way to tell for sure what the real potential of such an event might be without actually trying it. Though I do know AWA tried it, as I referenced before, to my knowledge they also abandoned the experiment after a single year, which did not allow for any possible growth. Broadening the focus of the Masquerade to include bought costumes is another potential option, but one I personally find to be unlikely. If a single contest tries to cover too much, it becomes increasingly difficult to judge fairly.

At any rate, you have certainly inspired me to stop arguing. Thanks for the voice of reason. I needed that - it's been an insanely long week for me...

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Quote from: "Nina Star 9"i am working on a costume that i know will be acceptable for the masquerade, but i have a few questions about the judging.

*head explodes* Not being a judge, about 90% of what you just asked made no sense to me XD  It sounds impressive though :O

Anyway, I will send one of the former judges over here to answer this one! It may be a couple of days though.
not trying to be annoying and bug you guys or anything, but it has been a couple of weeks and i still have not heard from any of the judges. any way to hurry this up, please?

thank you.

Devi 1313

Ok, I just remembered. My wig is commissioned, and my choker and bangles were bought off ebay (the bangles are just plain red ones). I plan on making the gloves, stockings, top and skirt myself and modifying a pair of boots. Would this still be ok for the masquerade if I tell them not to judge the wig?
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

Professor_Hojo

I purchased my Professor Hojo labcoat off of Ebay.
The pants are dockers pants I took from my brother.
The shirt is a shirt i got at walmart
the tie is a tie from walmart
the shoes are shoes from my brother too. i don't know where he got them.
my glasses are my own DKNY perscription glasses.
I have  shinra gloves i got from ebay
and a Shinra flag from ebay too.
I made up the whole Jenova Project file that I carry around.

Would this outfit be OK for masqurade?
Or do i actually have to make the whole Professor Hojo outfit?

Or can i just go on, but not try to win a prize?
i just have a skit in mind, and I really don't mind annoucing at the beginning that i don't want a prize for it, I just want to preform. :)

Guitar Raenef! He's the Golden Retriever who is going to rock the world!

Duo Monkey

Quote from: "Professor_Hojo"I purchased my Professor Hojo labcoat off of Ebay.
The pants are dockers pants I took from my brother.
The shirt is a shirt i got at walmart
the tie is a tie from walmart
the shoes are shoes from my brother too. i don't know where he got them.
my glasses are my own DKNY perscription glasses.
I have  shinra gloves i got from ebay
and a Shinra flag from ebay too.
I made up the whole Jenova Project file that I carry around.

Would this outfit be OK for masqurade?
Or do i actually have to make the whole Professor Hojo outfit?

Or can i just go on, but not try to win a prize?
i just have a skit in mind, and I really don't mind annoucing at the beginning that i don't want a prize for it, I just want to preform. :)

If it's not ok you cannot go on stage. End of story.
My service dog is the big white fluffy one. Please help us help children by sharing photos of him so we can go to more children's hospitals!

Devi 1313

sorry to "bump" myself, but my costume is going to be home made except for a commissioned wig, a couple plain, red bangles and a simple choker. Would this still be acceptable?
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Nana"sorry to "bump" myself, but my costume is going to be home made except for a commissioned wig, a couple plain, red bangles and a simple choker. Would this still be acceptable?

Yes this is perfectly fine :)

K&K4ever

My question isn't nessusarally about my costume, it's about the skit, although I don't have time to right it down now. I'll ask you later, it's for next year anyway.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.