Is my costume OK for Masquerade?

Started by angeljibrille, March 14, 2007, 01:41:19 AM

angeljibrille

Please post your "Is my costume OK for Masquerade?" Questions here and, yes, I will answer them all.

Basically if you are confused if your costume is within the guidelines? Ask here. Ease the worry.

Crazy_Saiko

well like i buy the parts for my costume and assemble it together
i don't buy the whole thing all together in a package

so is that ok?

it's like i have to scavenge for them

so will my cosplay will still be qualified then?

or do i have to make it?
<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Crazy_Saiko"well like i buy the parts for my costume and assemble it together
i don't buy the whole thing all together in a package

so is that ok?

it's like i have to scavenge for them

so will my cosplay will still be qualified then?

or do i have to make it?

Your costume is acceptable. Thanks :)

zoupzuop2

Although I plan not on entering the cosplay contest, and have cancelled my skit ideas, I have a former quandry.

I am cosplaying as Ranma Saotome (male) again this year, and commissioned Chibified-Cosplay.com to make the shirt and wig. I have the pants and shoes, and am working on the musc-- err, OTHER details of the costume and cosplay. If someone were to ask me if I made the costume, I would quickly and briskly alert them of otherwise.
Had I entered the skit competition, would I have been able to compete with other skit... um... doers, at least simply for the sake of the skit alone?
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Although I plan not on entering the cosplay contest, and have cancelled my skit ideas, I have a former quandry.

I am cosplaying as Ranma Saotome (male) again this year, and commissioned Chibified-Cosplay.com to make the shirt and wig. I have the pants and shoes, and am working on the musc-- err, OTHER details of the costume and cosplay. If someone were to ask me if I made the costume, I would quickly and briskly alert them of otherwise.
Had I entered the skit competition, would I have been able to compete with other skit... um... doers, at least simply for the sake of the skit alone?

No, you are correct that this one would not qualify. It is essentially a purchased costume, with no modification. The previous person was asking about a costume that they highly customized; you did not do so. So, no, this would not qualify.

Sorry :(

Nina Star 9

i am working on a costume that i know will be acceptable for the masquerade, but i have a few questions about the judging.

my entire costume is going to be hand-sewn, and my stiches, while mostly even and small, are not perfect and have flaws. will i get marked down greatly if hand stitches are not totally perfect? also, i have a hem on the back of a long train that is not 100% straight, but is as straight as i could get it. will i be marked down greatly for this?

also, if i have a few shortcuts (i have three ones that i am using off the top of my head- one is that instead of a single piece for a leg of mutton sleeve, it is in two pieces- the puff and the long part of the sleeve, though the seam will not be noticeable past all the rusching and lace. the second is that i made my hat diffrent from the orignal- the orignal is very very difficult to tell what it looks like (a j-rock costume, by the way), so instead i made a simple pillbox hat instead of a crazy folded one with an odd brim. it looks nearly the same but in my opinion better. the last one is a bit major. the top of the costume is supposed to be a jacket with a shirt underneath, but since the shirt only shows a tiny bit and the jacket is the main part, i am making it as a faux shirt attached to the underside of the neck of the jacket (it is a v-neck jacket, so only a little of the chest part and the collar show of the shirt) instead of as two seperate items.) will any of these shortcuts bring down my score greatly?

another thing about the hat- part of it is hot-glued. is this okay? (i did it in an odd way- i took a piece of thick paper and made the base, then i lined the inside in felt which was hot-glued in place and then covered the outside with the fabric, which is hot-glued on the inside but sewn everywhere else.) i feel a bit odd submitting anything that was put together in this method, but it is still a lot sturdier than one would think.

one last thing- my skirt and train fabric is not 100% accurate to the original, but about the only diffrence is that mine is heavier. i doubt this will knock me down too much, as no one would have been able to notice from the refrence pictures i will bring, but i am still curious if this will bring me down.

*breaths* i think that is it for now. sorry if this does not belong here of if you get annoyed. xD;;

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"i am working on a costume that i know will be acceptable for the masquerade, but i have a few questions about the judging.

*head explodes* Not being a judge, about 90% of what you just asked made no sense to me XD  It sounds impressive though :O

Anyway, I will send one of the former judges over here to answer this one! It may be a couple of days though.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Quote from: "Nina Star 9"i am working on a costume that i know will be acceptable for the masquerade, but i have a few questions about the judging.

*head explodes* Not being a judge, about 90% of what you just asked made no sense to me XD  It sounds impressive though :O

Anyway, I will send one of the former judges over here to answer this one! It may be a couple of days though.
haha... does it really sound that impressive? XD thanks.

and thank you for sending over a judge. i am really curious about this and if i should maybe try the top a bit diffrently and redo my train hem.

here are a couple of refrence pictures, just in case:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9477/copyofwinona6dp8.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2218/bodaiju1tf0.jpg

these are most likely the only two i will bring to judging. by the way, if you bring refrence materials, do the judges keep them? if so, i will need to track down a coloured printer or show them the coloured versions and give them black and white copies.

Devi 1313

I saw in another thread that it's ok if a parent helps you, but what if you get a wig comissioned? Not ok?
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Nana"I saw in another thread that it's ok if a parent helps you, but what if you get a wig comissioned? Not ok?

A comissioned wig is fine :) It's actually even OK if you are doing Crafsmanship judging (just tell the judges that the wig is comissioned). There are some hair styles we understand can only be created when the wig itself is created.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Although I plan not on entering the cosplay contest, and have cancelled my skit ideas, I have a former quandry.

No, you are correct that this one would not qualify. It is essentially a purchased costume, with no modification. The previous person was asking about a costume that they highly customized; you did not do so. So, no, this would not qualify.

No need to be sorry, it's all good. Just as long as that's clear. I may consider cosplaying a different character if ever I plan a skit in the next year or so, or simply direct.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"
No need to be sorry, it's all good. Just as long as that's clear. I may consider cosplaying a different character if ever I plan a skit in the next year or so, or simply direct.

Remeber that it is also acceptable for you to direct a group where you have one member making all the costumes for the group. So, if you can find someone to join up that does have sewing skills... you are set :)

SuperKawaiiNeko

So...youre saying that having a bought ("found") costume means that you cannot even enter the skit contest? I dont understand the logic here. You have a seperate section for craftsmanship, why should the origin of a costume matter if all he cares about are the preformance awards?
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

angeljibrille

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"So...youre saying that having a bought ("found") costume means that you cannot even enter the skit contest?

A bought costume and a "found item" costume are not the same...

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"I dont understand the logic here. You have a seperate section for craftsmanship, why should the origin of a costume matter if all he cares about are the preformance awards?

More information already posted here:
Check here:
Post #1 about the reality of the "no purchased" rule and valid exceptions:
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?p=159809&highlight=#159809

Post #2 about facilities and timing issues:
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?p=159968&highlight=#159968

An insightful comment from Cosplay.com:

"So, what is a Masquerade? Is a it COSTUME contest or a SKIT contest?

Traditionally, a Masquerade has been about Costumes, and the two awards tracks have been: 1) Craftsmanship, and 2) Presentation - that is "Presenting of a Costume(s)".

Presentations range from "walk-on", which ideally is an in-character thematic behavioral presentation which does not necessarily tell a story (it is NOT supposed to be walking on and off in a boring manner), or a full mini-play which does tell a story (skit).

Now, if you want a skit/talent show where the origin of the costume truly does not count, you are asking for something different than a traditional Masquerade.

Some conventions offer opportunities for a pure theatrical contest as well, where it's all about the skits, and only about the skits. But that is usually not then called a Masquerade." written by Karisu-sama

Karisu-sama is correct.

Another reference:
ICG (International Costuming Guild) Guidelines: Ensuring Fair Competition
http://www.costume.org/documents/fairness-26-05-2006.html
A "Masquerade" is a staged show where entries are presented before an audience. These presentations may take the form of fashion walks or short theatrical vignettes. Entries may compete for awards in two major areas: presentation (based on how the costumes appear when presented), and workmanship (based on close examination of the costumes backstage).

I would suggest Stage Zero (where we are going to try to have a Cosplay Improv event) , Short Film, or Fashion Show for events that would allow you to just act or to model someone else's creations. Or, volunteer for Fanime and help create a brand new event that has an emphasis on acting out anime/manga/game skits, with or without costumes (purchased or made).

SuperKawaiiNeko

Meh. I understand the disctinction, but I still dont agree with it. The masquerade is *THE* showcase event at Fanime. Sure you could take your skit elsewhere, but it's not going to get the recognition it deserves. People care about the masquerade, not some other thing somewhere else. I feel that the majority of the attendees probably dont understand the distinction you are presenting here, or even that there IS one.

Basically, I dont think its fair to tell people "Your hard work is no good here," just because they worked hard on their skit instead of their costume. If that goes against tradition, then let tradition be changed. Or you could change the name of the event.

Seriously. Thats like saying that anything that isnt a traditional music video isnt allowed in the AMV contest, and that would be beyond stupid. Some of the most popular Best in Class and Best of Show  winners have been things like commercials and movie trailers. Its the same thing.

Head of Volunteers 2010

Sharysa

Would my costume (Summoner Yuna) be okay for a masquerade if I had my mom sew it, then put the designs on myself?  I have no idea how to sew, but I have artistic skills and the designs on Yuna's obi and skirt are the most noticeable parts of her outfit.

Also, I'm making Yuna's default staff myself and putting in all the details on her costume (ribbons, obi flower, etc.).  I also plan on performing Yuna's sending at some point, though I don't care if I win anything or not.

Someone said I may not be able to enter the masquerade if I didn't make my entire costume, but I'm putting in a GREAT deal of effort even without sewing it.

So, after the lengthy explanation--would my costume be eligible if my mom did the sewing and I did the rest?
Cosplays:

Summoner Yuna (Final Fantasy 10)

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Sharysa"Would my costume (Summoner Yuna) be okay for a masquerade if I had my mom sew it, then put the designs on myself?  I have no idea how to sew, but I have artistic skills and the designs on Yuna's obi and skirt are the most noticeable parts of her outfit.

Also, I'm making Yuna's default staff myself and putting in all the details on her costume (ribbons, obi flower, etc.).  I also plan on performing Yuna's sending at some point, though I don't care if I win anything or not.

Absolutely acceptable. You can even enter this costume in Craftsmanship if you wanted to, especially for the staff portion.

Quote from: "Sharysa"Someone said I may not be able to enter the masquerade if I didn't make my entire costume, but I'm putting in a GREAT deal of effort even without sewing it.

I think this is turning into a game of telephone. I type one thing, it gets translated out, then translated to something else, and then by the time the 4th or 5th person hears it-- it's been blown way out of proportion ^^;

The only thing we are not accepting are costumes that you have done  nothing at all to (like entire costumes purchased on eBay or made for you by a professional tailor/seamstress).

Quote from: "Sharysa"So, after the lengthy explanation--would my costume be eligible if my mom did the sewing and I did the rest?

Yep! Be sure to ask a lot of questions though :) that's how you will learn skills and I bet in a year or so you will be creating your own costumes ^_^ this is how 90% of the people get started. You are doing the right thing, and great job customizing the costume and creating the staff.

Leona

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Meh. I understand the disctinction, but I still dont agree with it. The masquerade is *THE* showcase event at Fanime. Sure you could take your skit elsewhere, but it's not going to get the recognition it deserves. People care about the masquerade, not some other thing somewhere else. I feel that the majority of the attendees probably dont understand the distinction you are presenting here, or even that there IS one.

Amazing how as soon as there's more than one person feeling a certain way, that person feels justified in saying they're a "majority." Can you prove that? I'd be really interested, given that every other convention I know of runs its cosplay contest under the same guidelines - or even quite a bit stricter than Fanime's on the construction front (mandatory judging and documentation, etc). And amazingly, the attendees of these other cons don't gripe about this costume focus much, if at all. (I certainly haven't heard any such griping.) And yet I keep hearing all this fuss and bother about Fanime's event...

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Basically, I dont think its fair to tell people "Your hard work is no good here," just because they worked hard on their skit instead of their costume. If that goes against tradition, then let tradition be changed. Or you could change the name of the event.

What do you suggest it be called then? Maybe a... "Cosplay Contest"? Well, that still wouldn't work for letting people who only want to do skits in, because cosplay = COSTUME. PLAY. Period. You can't have cosplay contests without the costume. It really is that simple. If you want a skit-only event, that is no longer a Masquerade nor a cosplay contest of any sort whatsoever. Then it's a talent show.

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Seriously. Thats like saying that anything that isnt a traditional music video isnt allowed in the AMV contest, and that would be beyond stupid. Some of the most popular Best in Class and Best of Show  winners have been things like commercials and movie trailers. Its the same thing.

No actually, it's not the same thing at all. An AMV contest that allows things like commercials and movie trailers is allowing things that require the same skillset - that of video editing. A cosplay contest, by its very nature, requires the skillset of costuming. Whining about how it's not fair will not change this basic fact. A Cosplay Contest is not the correct forum for a presentation in which the entrant did not devote effort to the construction of their costume. The correct forum would be a talent show or some form of American Idol imitation. The fact that such an event does not currently exist at this convention is not the fault of the cosplay contest staff. It is outside their scope.

It really, truly is that simple. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but that won't change things. If there really are a "majority" of attendees who want a skit contest that's independent of costumes... start one. Staff it. It'll be your very own event and you can run it in the way you think best. If people really think it's all abut the skits, they'll flock to your show in droves.

(I don't really expect that to happen though. Anime Weekend Atlanta tried separating the costume contest and the skits a few years back... and nobody stuck around for the skits.)

Sharysa

Quote from: "angeljibrille"The only thing we are not accepting are costumes that you have done  nothing at all to (like entire costumes purchased on eBay or made for you by a professional tailor/seamstress).

Be sure to ask a lot of questions though :) that's how you will learn skills and I bet in a year or so you will be creating your own costumes ^_^ this is how 90% of the people get started. You are doing the right thing, and great job customizing the costume and creating the staff.

Yay!  Thank you for answering!  I got so freaked out that I might not be able to enter a craftsmanship contest, and kind of pissed since I'm also PERFORMING in costume.  My thoughts until now were something like, "Don't care if I can't win anything, I'm still getting my costume done!"

Thank you for taking a HUGE load off my mind.
Cosplays:

Summoner Yuna (Final Fantasy 10)

SuperKawaiiNeko

I like how you pretty much ignore half of what I said, and twist the rest of it around to make it sound like I said something I did not. Rude AND ignorant. How delightful. There are, however, a few points which I would like to address.

Quote from: "Leona"What do you suggest it be called then? Maybe a... "Cosplay Contest"? Well, that still wouldn't work for letting people who only want to do skits in, because cosplay = COSTUME. PLAY. Period.

At this point I wish to interrupt and say that you stick with this idea throughout your entire post. "Cosplay Contest" is not the only possible alteranate title for the event, thus all of your referances to it being a Cosplay Contest are null.

Quote from: "Leona"You can't have cosplay contests without the costume. It really is that simple. If you want a skit-only event, that is no longer a Masquerade nor a cosplay contest of any sort whatsoever.

Who said anything about having no cosplay? At what point did I make any mention of people preforming in street clothes? I did not. My point was that people in costume should be able to preform, regardless of the origin of said costume.

Quote from: "Leona"Then it's a talent show.

Gee. Theres a good title. Why not call it that? Cosplay creation is a talent, is it not? We could rename the Masquerade to the Talent Show, or even call it the "Talent Show and Masquerade" (or "Masquerade and Talent Show," if you prefer.)

Quote from: "Leona"No actually, it's not the same thing at all. An AMV contest that allows things like commercials and movie trailers is allowing things that require the same skillset - that of video editing. A cosplay contest, by its very nature, requires the skillset of costuming. Whining about how it's not fair will not change this basic fact. A Cosplay Contest is not the correct forum for a presentation in which the entrant did not devote effort to the construction of their costume. The correct forum would be a talent show or some form of American Idol imitation. The fact that such an event does not currently exist at this convention is not the fault of the cosplay contest staff. It is outside their scope.

There's that "Cosplay Contest" again. And I already addressed the Talent Show thing.

Quote from: "Leona"It really, truly is that simple. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but that won't change things. If there really are a "majority" of attendees who want a skit contest that's independent of costumes... start one. Staff it. It'll be your very own event and you can run it in the way you think best. If people really think it's all abut the skits, they'll flock to your show in droves.

(I don't really expect that to happen though. Anime Weekend Atlanta tried separating the costume contest and the skits a few years back... and nobody stuck around for the skits.)

This is exactly my point. If you were to split them up, noone would go see the extra event because the Masquerade is *the* event to go to.  And then the people who worked hard on their skits dont get any recognition for their efforts by no fault of their own, and there arent THAT many people with purchased costumes that want to enter besides. It would be rediculous to split them up. Therefore I feel that the event types should be combined. If the current event structure or title will not allow that for whatever reason, then let the event or title be changed. Why does it HAVE to be called the Masqurade, other than some desperate cling to some tradition? Why does it HAVE to be a straight up "Cosplay Contest?" Why can it not be a talent show? Cosplay construction is a talent, is it not? If you dont like that, why cant it be a Cosplay Contest AND Talent Show?

I'm not saying that people should be able to go up in street clothes or half-assed costumes or anything like that. I never said that. I said that just because someone purchased their costume instead of making it themselves by hand is no reason to bar them from preforming, even if you dont let them compete for prizes.

Head of Volunteers 2010