Cynicism in Games - Where the Hardcore Went Wrong

Started by alkaline, March 28, 2007, 03:41:07 PM

alkaline

The Year Was 1990..
In an industry controlled by publishers, the tactics of video game marketers has convinced a generation of players that if you're not hating, you're not gaming. It's a notion that has stuck for more than a decade now and it only seems to have gotten worse with gamers treating their favorite medium like a disposable play thing than a legitimate form of entertainment and media.

Join us for an open floor discussion regarding the rampant cynicism that exists in gaming culture, how it affects our appreciation of video games and how we, as an industry, seem to perpetuate the cycle of hate. You'll learn exactly how we got to this point and discover why todays gamers seem to hate their hobby so much.

Whether you're a casual player, hardcore or somewhere in-between, if you're a gamer, we deeply encourage you to attend this panel.

When and Where
The panel has been confirmed, though details are pending. If we're all lucky, think Saturday afternoon.

Meet the Panelists

Jared Rea - Joystiq
A daily contributor to the most popular gaming blog on the net, Jared's range of work has taken him from developers such as Atari and Namco Bandai to the pages of Electronic Gaming Monthly and beyond.

Chris Kohler - Wired
One of the most respected writers in the gaming industry, Chris Kohler is not only head of Wired's gaming blog, but also an author of two published books including Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life.

Jennifer Tsao - Electronic Gaming Monthly
The managing editor of EGM for four years running, Jennifer is one of the leading voices of female gamers today. When not having babies, she can be found hosting EGM Live, the weekly podcast for Electronic Gaming Monthly.

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Barnes

Jennifer Tsao is gonna be there? If so, I'll ask her why EGM went downhill since 2003.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

SohmaYuki

Quote from: "Barnes"Jennifer Tsao is gonna be there? If so, I'll ask her why EGM went downhill since 2003.

Try '96 or whenever EGM2 was created...

kekekekeke.

alkaline

Quote from: "Barnes"Jennifer Tsao is gonna be there? If so, I'll ask her why EGM went downhill since 2003.

Yes. Please show up. You're exactly the kind of socially backwards gaming-type that we'll be discussing at this session :)

Ayanami Rei First Child

I'm totally going to attend if a girl gamer of a famous video game magazine is going to be on the panel!! <3 <3

Barnes

Quote from: "alkaline"

Yes. Please show up. You're exactly the kind of socially backwards gaming-type that we'll be discussing at this session :)

Umm, ok. I'm mostly upset over their F-Zero GX reviews (IT'S NOT THAT HARD! AGH! NOT EVEN A SILVER AWARD?!).
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "Barnes"
Quote from: "alkaline"

Umm, ok. I'm mostly upset over their F-Zero GX reviews (IT'S NOT THAT HARD! AGH! NOT EVEN A SILVER AWARD?!).
not that hard?! do you realize how long it took me just to beat Deathborn?! and this was just on normal! i still love the game though.

Emerge

wow...and to think these kinds of debates only went on between my two other buddies and me

otakuapprentice

even though this has nothing to do with this panel, i want to mourn Luke Smith's leaving of 1up. although hes not actually gone (yet), this is still a shock to hear, especially since we all ended up hearing this at the end of this week's 1up show. I personally want to wish him my best regards and may he have the best of luck on his future endeavors.

so long, Luke.

mDuo13

Hmm, sounds like it could be quite interesting.

Or not. Bunch of wannabe journalists talking out their rear ends about social issues they don't really understand.</irony>

alkaline

I assure you it'll be much more interesting than a wannabe novelist going out of his way to act like a douche over something he doesn't really understand.

Tony

Quote from: "mDuo13"Hmm, sounds like it could be quite interesting.

Or not. Bunch of wannabe journalists talking out their rear ends about social issues they don't really understand.</irony>

[moderator hat on]
Don't snipe. That was uncalled for.
[moderator hat off]

Alkaline, please don't respond in kind...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

mDuo13

Guys, guys, calm down.

I put </irony> tags on there because I was not being serious.

I was trying to make a joking example of what the panel is about. Yeesh! I guess not everyone can figure out my shorthand.

SohmaYuki

Quote from: "mDuo13"Guys, guys, calm down.

I put </irony> tags on there because I was not being serious.

I was trying to make a joking example of what the panel is about. Yeesh! I guess not everyone can figure out my shorthand.

It's more because... it is totally offbased. So realistically putting </irony> tag on it does nothing but making it even more mocking. Since you seem completely off anyways.

otakuapprentice

i would like to go into some sort of detail on how most companies now are simply relying on titles that have become what are now known as 'franchise games' every year (i.e. madden, nba live, smackdown, etc.)

im not trying to sound like i know more than everybody.
its only that working on the retail side of the gaming industry for a while helped me notice things alot more...especially when you see close to 5 GTA-style games come out within one year that all were completely crap, yet they were still flyin' off the shelves.

JeffreyAtW

Quote from: "alkaline"I assure you it'll be much more interesting than a wannabe novelist going out of his way to act like a douche over something he doesn't really understand.
This reply makes my head hurt so goddamn much.

Tony

Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Shinsengumi

You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

ip136

Ou~ So going to hit this panel up. . . hit it up good. er. *cough*

Totally checkin' it out!
Clicky my Art Pwease?