Anime Price is Right?

Started by heeroyuy135, April 06, 2007, 11:23:05 AM

heeroyuy135

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmR3SUp63M

Yeah, it was done...back in '04...think that idea would fly at Fanime?

Akito Starwind

looks fun. But that is alot of work, Right now we get Donations from dealers for the charity auction. so im not sure they would want to give even more for a game show. they are trying to make a profit.
A full staff team just for a game show like that i think would be needed. from the video, that game was on the same level as Der Cosplay.  I don't mean to sound like I dont want it, but I would love to see this at Fanime, I believe if you really want to see this at fanime then Someone needs to goto a staff meeting and Spearhead this event for 08. I believe its a little late to put this together for 07. Any one want to ask the Heads ARG's about this. As long as your not saying yes I want to see this and then leave all the work for someone else then you may have a chance. Show them you want to work for this and you may find your self heading it for 08.
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008

heeroyuy135

Quote from: "Akito Starwind"looks fun. But that is alot of work, Right now we get Donations from dealers for the charity auction. so im not sure they would want to give even more for a game show. they are trying to make a profit.
A full staff team just for a game show like that i think would be needed. from the video, that game was on the same level as Der Cosplay.  I don't mean to sound like I dont want it, but I would love to see this at Fanime, I believe if you really want to see this at fanime then Someone needs to goto a staff meeting and Spearhead this event for 08. I believe its a little late to put this together for 07. Any one want to ask the Heads ARG's about this. As long as your not saying yes I want to see this and then leave all the work for someone else then you may have a chance. Show them you want to work for this and you may find your self heading it for 08.
I'll take a look into that...

Greggo

Quotelooks fun. But that is alot of work, Right now we get Donations from dealers for the charity auction. so im not sure they would want to give even more for a game show. they are trying to make a profit.
A full staff team just for a game show like that i think would be needed. from the video, that game was on the same level as Der Cosplay. I don't mean to sound like I dont want it, but I would love to see this at Fanime, I believe if you really want to see this at fanime then Someone needs to goto a staff meeting and Spearhead this event for 08. I believe its a little late to put this together for 07. Any one want to ask the Heads ARG's about this. As long as your not saying yes I want to see this and then leave all the work for someone else then you may have a chance. Show them you want to work for this and you may find your self heading it for 08.

Hi, this is Greggo, the guy responsible for Anime Price is Right from that video and from Tekkoshocon the last couple of years.  I can tell you that yes, there were quite a few people involved with that production.

Here's what to do if you'd like to do Price is Right at your con.

1) Get me to come out and do it.  :D  I understand this is probably not a feasible plan for Fanime.  I did Match Game there a few years ago but definitely understand that convention funds are limited so if you would like to do it yourself...

2a) Make sure you have prizes ready.  You'll need six different items up for bids, prizes for each of your pricing games, grocery items if you're going to do a game that involves them, and some stuff for the showcase.  For Tekkoshocon I was provided with a prize budget.  I'm very established at that con so they are quite generous.  Generally the only prizes actually shown live during the game were ones donated/acquired prior to the event...most of the grand prizes weren't purchased until after the convention was over.

2b) To get good contestants a cattle call similar to the one the real game show does is recommended.  A lineup and brief interview of everyone in line as close to the actual showtime is ideal so that potential contestants have minimal time to forget to come back to see if they were chosen to "Come on Down."

2c) Make sure you've recruited some models to show off the prizes, and a rehearsal before showtime is recommended.  Because of this, Anime Price is Right usually leads off its panel room's programming block for the day.  We usually do rehearsal at 8AM Saturday with the cattle call outside going on at the same time, with showtime starting at 10AM.

2d) Make sure you have all your pricing game sets and prizes ready to roll out immediately.  The ACen video was edited, but truth be told there was only about fifteen minutes TOTAL worth of downtime between each of the pricing games (about a minute or two between each).  We had great preparation and as a result there was very little downtime and the audience was kept interested.

2e) Have it in a room big enough to hold it.  :D

I would definitely like to see more good game show type programming at anime conventions, so thanks for suggesting this, original poster.

otakuya

I'm a sap for anime game shows (well, game shows in general) and trivia, so naturally...I LOVE THIS IDEA! I watched all of the APIR Youtube stuff and was amazed with the planning and execution of it. ACen 2004 also had Anime Press Your Luck. I'd like to see a "Deal or No Deal", "Identity", or "1 vs. 100" anime game show.

However, lately, anime game shows at FC have been taking a huge hit in popularity and attendance (one time a game show was held in an empty room). I would like for it to come back in a big way soon. I remember the Anime Match Game from 2002 I think and was my favorite event of FC 2002.

If anything like this were to happen again, I would love to help out whoever wants to plan something like this.

(BTW, love the Whammies from Anime PYL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T59TyXz8VnA)

SuperKawaiiNeko

This...this is the best thing ever.

I would love to see this at fanime, but we HAVE to have greggo to do it. You have Bob Barker's style DOWN XD
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Greggo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1oArnPg9Y

Without wanting to drag this off topic, the above is something from this year's Tekko.

Thanks to you guys for providing some support for game shows.  :)

heeroyuy135

I'll take a look into doing a "Fanime Deal or No Deal" next year...

But I just had this brilliant idea. There's this new show (from NBC, BTW), called called Thank God You're Here, which I call one huge improv show. What they do is that they throw a bunch of people onto a stage with no script and they have to do their best to make people laugh. I'll look into this idea too...

SuperKawaiiNeko

Isnt Thank God You're Here all comedians? Its not like they pick random people off the street....

Deal or No Deal is kinda eh...I would like to see something with more audience participation like Who Wants to Be a Millionare? (Who Wants to Be Anime?) or something with a variety of different stuff to keep things interesting, like Anime Price is Right, or even something like Anime Double Dare (PHYSICAL CHALLENGE!)

Does anybody remember an old MTV gameshow called Remote Control? For those that never heard of it, let me put it this way. The show's official tagline was "The Worthless Game of Useless TV Knowledge"

There was another show that would be perfect for a con called "Beat the Geeks"

If we could get GoH participation, we could do match game, or even something like Hollywood Squares
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Tsubasa

This sounds awesome.  I like to think I know a thing or two about merchandise and their rough cost.  Yes, in yen too. :3
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Asa_Gohan

I cant read Greggo's posts without hearing the sound of that host if that was you...Great now the voice is embedded into my skull Dx Lol but yeah seriously I would actually like to see this at Fanime even though I know it wont be this year lol
EDIT!: Nvm that was your voice xD but yeah I seriously cant read your posts without hearing your voice >.<

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

heeroyuy135

I just had another good idea, but it's a little bit different than your "game show"...well, it's not really a game show.

I watch this show every chance I get called Around The Horn (it airs on ESPN every weekday at 5PM EST/2PM PST). Basically, the show is a debate over various sports (and sometimes non-sports) related topics with 4 correspondents, and the host gives points for good arugments. I won't go on more about the show itself, so you can click on that link and I'll bring you to a wiki article about the show.

The point I wanted to make is that I've been envisioning an anime version of Around The Horn, where instead of debating sports topics, it's debating anime topics, ranging from aquisions to age-old questions and everything in between. What would be cool is if there would be two guests of honor, a staff member, and a con attendee would be the 4 correspondents. Of course, I would be the host.

But since I never have been to a large-scale convention, or even to forums for a large-scale convention, I've been keeping this idea to myself. I think it's time to bring it out and see what everyone says.

otakuya

10 topics, but just 1 winner.

heeroyuy135

Quote from: "Otakuya"10 topics, but just 1 winner.
HORN!!!