Karaoke Contest 2007 Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, April 11, 2007, 01:12:57 AM

Inuashley

Quote from: "GaleWolf"
Quote from: "Inuashley"I have another time issue similiar to anime freak - I have a cosplay gathering at 1pm on saturday, so could I check in before 12:30 and then show up at 3pm for the prelims? In that case, should I select "Late" as my time preference when I sign up online? Thanks ^_^

Yes, exactly. You should also sign up on May 6 to assure that you get a late enough spot. The earlier you sign up, the later you'll be if you specify "late as possible"

Quote from: "Jailbait"Are Dance Dance revolution songs legit if they are least partly in Japanese?

Yes.

Quote from: "jetspectacular"
are the prizes the same as 2006? as in.. the winners get optional masq preformance and seats??

I am waiting for an answer from Masquerade on whether the contest winner will be able to perform this year. Otherwise the prizes are the same.

Quote from: "RyannBTW"
I plan on signing up on May 6, I just wanted to know if I needed to stay up until midnight to do it or not.

We do not know yet what time during the day the signups will be up. It could be in the afternoon, or it could be late that night. We'll try and give a heads-up a couple of days before.

That's what I thought, thanks ^^
Next conventions: Fanime 2011, Anime Next (?), Anime Expo, AM2

kuroi

Do we have to list what songs we'll be doing when we sign up, or can we just bring a CD with a bunch of different songs and tell the sign-in desk which track we've chosen?

Also, a lot of official kareoke songs I have are for the long version, not the TV version. Would it be better to chose a song that can be easily faded out, or can there be an exception to the no-song-editing rule so that I can edit a song whose TV version takes pieces from both the beginning and ending of a song.

I suppose changing the key for a kareoke version isn't allowed, huh?
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Hank-KKD

Quote from: "kuroi"Do we have to list what songs we'll be doing when we sign up, or can we just bring a CD with a bunch of different songs and tell the sign-in desk which track we've chosen?

When you sign up, you do have to list your songs. This is so we can  adjust the contest order if more than one person picks the same song. However, you can change the songs when you check in for the contest. Once you have checked in, however, you cannot change songs any more.

QuoteAlso, a lot of official kareoke songs I have are for the long version, not the TV version. Would it be better to chose a song that can be easily faded out, or can there be an exception to the no-song-editing rule so that I can edit a song whose TV version takes pieces from both the beginning and ending of a song.

Pick a song that can be easily faded out.

QuoteI suppose changing the key for a kareoke version isn't allowed, huh?

Nope.

arcadiapandora

Okay, I'm slightly confused now.

You said no to another poster over "making" a karaoke track--, but if you were to bring the original, and then have voice dampening applied at Fanime, then wouldn't you technically be making a karaoke track?

My song in question is the EXACT same as the original, except it doesn't have vocals. Unfortunately with voice dampening, all the bass and drums disappears, so it wouldn't really work in my favor to have it done at Fanime. So if we simply do the voice dampening ourselves, or another person already has done it, is it still not allowed? There are no other changes made to the song, the only difference is the vocals are removed.

And my second question is basically that I'd like a better definition of "audio CD". If I were to burn the CD, what format should it be in? .wav? No mp3s, so no .mp3 files, right? Is there a specific file used that I can convert my mp3s from to make them karaoke appropriate? Basically, what file extension should my files have?

Thanks for all your hard work on this, I wanna make my performances as best as possible XD!
<3

Hank-KKD

Quote from: "arcadiapandora"Okay, I'm slightly confused now.

You said no to another poster over "making" a karaoke track--, but if you were to bring the original, and then have voice dampening applied at Fanime, then wouldn't you technically be making a karaoke track?

My song in question is the EXACT same as the original, except it doesn't have vocals. Unfortunately with voice dampening, all the bass and drums disappears, so it wouldn't really work in my favor to have it done at Fanime. So if we simply do the voice dampening ourselves, or another person already has done it, is it still not allowed? There are no other changes made to the song, the only difference is the vocals are removed.

The Karaoke Contest is a singing contest, not a contest of who has the best audio editing skills. If your song is the official karaoke version of the original (as in, it's on the CD single or an album) then we would run it without the vocal dampening. But you cannot take the original and alter it to remove the vocals.

Vocal dampening does not make a new track; it is an effect applied to the song while it is playing that masks out what the computer guesses is the vocal track.

And my second question is basically that I'd like a better definition of "audio CD". If I were to burn the CD, what format should it be in? .wav? No mp3s, so no .mp3 files, right? Is there a specific file used that I can convert my mp3s from to make them karaoke appropriate? Basically, what file extension should my files have?

The "no mp3s" rule is primarily against audio players- we don't want to deal with a stack of iPods and I'm sure most folks would not want to risk losing them at the convention.

The CD should be audio (as in readable on a non-computer CD player) or it can have mp3, .aac, or .wav file formats. No .ogg files please.

If you are burning a CD for the contest and really want to help make things easier for the staff, name your tracks as follows:

Real Name - Song Title (Karaoke) Round.mp3

Obviously, leave out the (Karaoke) part if it is not a karaoke track.
Round is either PRELIMINARY or FINALS.

zoupzuop2

Okay, here's one:

I plan on singing "Running in the 90's" (a eurobeat song) by Max Coveri. Not a problem, it's from both an anime and video game.
I may also plan on singing "Bazooka Pistolero" or another Eurobeat song by Franz Tornado, or "Rock and Roll Is my Life" by Jock Lee, also Eurobeat. I'm not so sure if Pistolero's been in a game, and I'm just about certain that Futureland is not from a Video Game or Anime or whatnot. However, Eurobeat is a rather popular (or, at least, was at one time) genre of music to Japan, and important to some of the facets of its culture, especially Ganguro.

Would these other songs, the exact same genre as the previous but not quite in a video game or anime, be acceptable, or must they stay true to the Anime, Video Game, J-Pop or (fourth category) form? If so, I've got plenty of other tracks I can bring out.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Cerise

I would like to sing "Brothers" from Fullmetal alchemist, but I would like to sing the Vic Minogna version where he sang it in english. I have the karaoke of the song, so is it okay if I sing it even though it is not in it's original language, but translated into english and recorded by the voice actor?
At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the antidote.
Emo Philips

Michi

Thank you for the updates!! I'll mark May 6 on my calendar... and practice some songs to choose from for the contest until then. :)
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Desu

one question; will people who are trying out for the preliminary rounds need to stay through the whole thing, or only until they're finished with their own performance?

anime_freakx1000

^

oh! I know the answer! XDD! You don't need to stay for the whole thing, you can go after you're done. But you would want to be there when it ends like at 4 or something? because they are going to post the results. ^^

oh..and a question...if there is no karaoke for a certain song, can i just burn the origina song to a cd and give it, and then you guys would dampen it? o.O

theeyokai

1.  For the song selection, what if there is a piano version of the song created just for an anime or game series?  Can we use that?

2.  What do you mean by we're being judged on our appearance?  If its just J-pop, do we dress like the singer (which may be hard to tell the difference between singer and person, since the person is hardly known)?  Or just showing up and/or wearing clothes?

3.  Say we have both two different versions... can we test dampened and choose or is it choose and hope?

Hank-KKD

Quote from: "theeyokai"1.  For the song selection, what if there is a piano version of the song created just for an anime or game series?  Can we use that?

2.  What do you mean by we're being judged on our appearance?  If its just J-pop, do we dress like the singer (which may be hard to tell the difference between singer and person, since the person is hardly known)?  Or just showing up and/or wearing clothes?

3.  Say we have both two different versions... can we test dampened and choose or is it choose and hope?

1. Yes.

2. There is no requirement to dress like the singer or to cosplay. Your outwards appearance is not counted in the Presentation score. But the audience might appreciate it!

3. Please test on your own before the con. (Search the older topics on this forum for how to find vocal dampening software for your computer). If you cannot do this, then try it during Open Mic on Friday night. Once you check in and submit your CD, no changes to your music!

Quoteoh..and a question...if there is no karaoke for a certain song, can i just burn the origina song to a cd and give it, and then you guys would dampen it?

Yes.

QuoteI would like to sing "Brothers" from Fullmetal alchemist, but I would like to sing the Vic Minogna version where he sang it in english.

Did Vic perform this version in the dubbed version of FMA? If so, it is okay. If it's something he made up on his own for fun, then no.

KusanagiShiro

This may sound like kind of a stupid question.

Some of the songs I would like to perform are from tokusatsu series...sentai, Kamen Rider, Kikaider, and the like. Can those be entered too?

And NO, I do not do the Power Rangers dubs. The songs in the English versions are not that good IMHO.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "KusanagiShiro"This may sound like kind of a stupid question.

Some of the songs I would like to perform are from tokusatsu series...sentai, Kamen Rider, Kikaider, and the like. Can those be entered too?

And NO, I do not do the Power Rangers dubs. The songs in the English versions are not that good IMHO.
Aw, c'mon, what was wrong with the first series theme song?
GO GO POWAH RANGAAAAAHHHHS! XD

At any rate, my question above still stands.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

yumicchi88

I have a karaoke version of a song, but its the one that is shortened by someone so it would be the T.V. size.
would that count as edited and not accepted?
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

Hank-KKD

Quote from: "yumicchi88"I have a karaoke version of a song, but its the one that is shortened by someone so it would be the T.V. size.

We only accept music that either has appeared in the series/video game itself, or is on an official CD soundtrack. No fan-edited or fan-made versions.

Regarding sentai/eurobeat songs: The sentai song is okay. The eurobeat not from any anime or video game would be kind of a stretch.

fantasiimaker

-edit-

Nevermind...I just saw that the first round song is to be two and a HALF minutes. That helps =)

yumicchi88

Quote from: "yumicchi88"I have a karaoke version of a song, but its the one that is shortened by someone so it would be the T.V. size.

We only accept music that either has appeared in the series/video game itself, or is on an official CD soundtrack. No fan-edited or fan-made versions.

Regarding sentai/eurobeat songs: The sentai song is okay. The eurobeat not from any anime or video game would be kind of a stretch.

so it would be accepted if the song has appeared in the series. then its ok?
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

Cerise

QuoteI would like to sing "Brothers" from Fullmetal alchemist, but I would like to sing the Vic Minogna version where he sang it in english.

Did Vic perform this version in the dubbed version of FMA? If so, it is okay. If it's something he made up on his own for fun, then no.
I don't think he sang it in the dubbed version, but he did release a recording of him singing it, so it must have some permission or officiality from the anime series. I don't see how it would be less official than a remix. I remember one year a girl sang "Fly me to the Moon" with an added verse at the beginning, completely in english, and she got 5th place. So by that reasoning, I think I could perfom this song in english, especially since this song was written solely for the anime series.
At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the antidote.
Emo Philips

Akira Miyamoto

This is a little embarassing to ask, but I'm horrible at rote memorization. I mean, I have enough trouble memorizing songs in English, but it takes a killer amount of effort for me to get even a half-assed product in terms of remembering Japanese lyrics. So, I gotta ask, would it be illegal (or even frowned upon) to wear ear buds set to sync with one's song? It's pathetic, I know, but I still gotta ask...
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."