Swap Meet 2007?

Started by Eurobeat King, April 17, 2007, 12:20:08 AM

Eurobeat King

Hey everyone,

Not sure if there's already a thread for this (haven't posted here in a long time) but just wondering if there will be a Swap Meet or not this year at Fanime?  Last year I made a lot of $$ for the 2 days they had it, which helped cos I was unemployed last year, and the $$ helped get me through the summer.

So if anyone has any info about if there'll be a Swap Meet this year (days & times) that'd be great. :)  

I won't have as much stuff to sell this year if I participate in it, but mostly whatever Anime DVD's I have left, Anime CD's, Eurobeat CD's, some figures, Video Games, and if I'm crazy, I might just sell my Xbox 360 & games this year..  :o

See you all next month!
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

DayDreamerNessa

lol you beat me too it Al i was about to create a thread asking about swap meet info as well.

I'd also like to be in the swap meet, and this would be my first one, so any information, that could help, i'm sure once the swap meet info on the fanime website is updated will tell me, but since it hasn't i'd like to know soon so i can start planing on what to sell, and here are some basic questions if anyone can answer since this would be my first swap meet~

-does it cost money to be in the swap meet
-what days is the swap meet time it starts and closes
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

animeangelfish

Bumpage. a question I had as well..

Swap Meet Info Please?

Cosplay 2013: Fem!Reno, River Song (Melody Malone), Hipster!Ariel
Attendee since 2005

Tony

Just found this in the program guide... it'll be on the website soon...

Swap Meet
Wanna get rid of some of your old anime merchandise? Wanna try to get some
really good bargains? The Fanime Swap Meet returns again where fans get
together to sell, buy, and trade their stuff.
Times: Thursday 7:00 PM - 12:00 AM; Friday 8:30 PM - 12:00 AM
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Tony"Just found this in the program guide... it'll be on the website soon...

Swap Meet

W00t.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

arcadiapandora

Excellent XD! Guess I've to bring my big ol box of manga to sell.
<3

Eurobeat King

Quote from: "Tony"Swap Meet

Thanks for the info!  I'm glad they extended the hours for both days.  (Last year i recall it was just for a few hours each night.)  Now I'll try to get Thursday off so I can sell stuff at the swap meet just for Thursday.  (too busy taking pictures on Friday)  I'll mostly be selling anime DVD's, some anime CD's, Eurobeat CD's, video-games, and maybe (still deciding)I might sell my PS2 and/or my Xbox 360.   I'll know as the con gets closer.  (Conventions and post-con pictures are taking too much of my time that I don't have any for video-games.)   :oops:

The-O

Just curious, I'm sure there was a reason behind it, but why is the Swap Meet on Thursday when the Con starts on Friday? We also have most of our attendees on Saturday.

Yes I know about the swap meet fiasco of 2005, I was there. :p
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

Barnes

Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

animeangelfish

well I'd think an obvious answer to the question on why the swapmeet is on thursday..

pre-registered people come then

I'm nto even on staff and I think that's answer >_> pretty obvious. LOL

Cosplay 2013: Fem!Reno, River Song (Melody Malone), Hipster!Ariel
Attendee since 2005

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "The-O"Just curious, I'm sure there was a reason behind it, but why is the Swap Meet on Thursday when the Con starts on Friday? We also have most of our attendees on Saturday.

Yes I know about the swap meet fiasco of 2005, I was there. :p

The swap meet on thursday is a perk for pre-registered fans and then Friday is a huge surge of people as well. Saturday is usually so packed with other events that Swap Meet wouldn't have much room to squeeze in.

Sunday, well I don't know why they don't do one on Sunday...and then of course Monday everything's dying so no real chance to sell anything.

At least that's the way I rationalized it.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

ip136

Quote from: "Barnes"A fiasco in 05?

In 2005 the swap meet was held in a specific room and when people started to line-up, they were instructed to line up on one side of the room. About 5 minutes before the swap meet opened, other Rovers came and told us that the line was supposed to go the other way.
Instead of cutting people off from going into that line and starting a secondary line, they told everyone who had been waiting 1 hour+ to start a new line. A lot of people that were supposed to be the first in line became the last and vice versa. Quite a few people were upset over the lack of instruction and direction.
Clicky my Art Pwease?

The-O

To keep it short,
The original line was an emergency escape hazard, it had to be moved.
During the line move there was a lack of communication due to being understaffed, people in the front and in the back got the general information while people in the middle were lost.
We had to get all the "sellers" to the front of the line so they could register, this may have caused some confusion for some appearing that people were cutting in line.
The Swap Meet Staff were unprepared to accommodate that many sellers.
Many sellers who did not get in were furious after waiting for so long.
Those who did not get in, attempted to sell outside the hallways in protest urging others to do so, again this is also an emergency escape hazard.
The Swap Meet was delayed 2 hours from its scheduled time. (I believe it was to open at 6? ended up opening around 8 )

I am not sure about people cutting in line during the move. We had Rovers stationed at every corner when we did it. We also did it in sections so we could monitor it, plus we roped off the area at the time to prevent new people from coming into the line.
There was also no way for people who were first in line to become last as the predominant line control was being directed at the front.

Quote from: "ip136"
Quote from: "Barnes"A fiasco in 05?

In 2005 the swap meet was held in a specific room and when people started to line-up, they were instructed to line up on one side of the room. About 5 minutes before the swap meet opened, other Rovers came and told us that the line was supposed to go the other way.
Instead of cutting people off from going into that line and starting a secondary line, they told everyone who had been waiting 1 hour+ to start a new line. A lot of people that were supposed to be the first in line became the last and vice versa. Quite a few people were upset over the lack of instruction and direction.
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

FiliKlepto

*flails*  In '05, my friends and I were some of the people in the front-to-middle section of the line, and we just got completely shifted around in the jumble.  We never even got in to the swamp meet, even though we waited three hours in line.  It sucked so bad that we got discouraged from doing it again last year.  (--;

But we're thinking about giving it another go this year since we have a lot of stuff to sell.
I want death to find me planting my cabbages.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"

Reikun

Hey folks. Swap Meet head here. Here's the info you want.

Wanna get rid of some of your old anime merchandise?
Wanna try to get some really good bargains. The Fanime
swap meet returns again where fans get togethers to
sell, buy, and trade their stuff.

Times: Th 7-12
      Fr 8:30-12

Fanimecon 2007 swapmeet rules

Entering dictates that you agree to these rules

•   Any person, except dealers, who has an official 2007 FanimeCon badge can sell in the Swap meet.
•   No retail businesses, dealers, stores or persons representing or working for them are allowed to participate as sellers in the swap meet.
•   A seller's fee of $15 will be charged for a seller's space. A half space may be offered at half price (space pending).
•   You may not bring your own table or chairs (an exception will be granted for orthopedic chairs if you have a medical need) to the swap meet.
•   Because the facility is a union facility, you are advised against bringing your goods in on a hand truck or handcart. Be prepared to hand carry your boxes should the situation require it.
•   The age of the seller must be at least 18 years old and all sellers must sign an agreement to these rules.
•   Cash payment for or bartering of items are permitted and is up to the discretion of the participants in the transaction.
•   The convention is not legally responsible for the product's condition or stated condition. All transactions are between the seller and buyer.
•   Sellers have the right to refuse a sale to or barter with anyone.
•   All products brought into the swap meet will be inspected and all items that are in violation of these rules will not be permitted into the swap meet.
•   The display of goods must be suitable for a general audience (i.e., G rated). The sale, trade, or showing of adult materials to anyone under 18 is a crime. If you are caught selling or showing adult material to a minor, you will be evicted from the convention and turned over to the police.
•   The sale or trade of unlicensed, bootleg, or counterfeit goods is not allowed (e.g. SM, Everanime, Aliors, etc), however the sale/trade of doujin goods (comics, shitajiki, cards, or stationary) will be allowed.
•   Any questions regarding the implementation or interpretation of the rules above are subject to the final discretion of the Swap Meet staff.
•   Any instructions given by the Swap Meet staff to enforce these rules, the rules of FanimeCon, and the event facility, must be followed immediately.
•   Fanimecon swapmeet reserves the right to refuse access to anyone.
Andrew Tei
Swap Meet Head
Fanime 2007

crowchylde

Thanks for all the info.
This will be our second Fanime & we were not aware of the swap meet until now.
We were hoping to dump these on an auction site when the movie drops in a few months.
But we think the convention will be a much better venue for them.
We also used to work at a comic book shop & have a ton of Magic cards we collected.
Anyway here is a link to a photo folder with pictures of most of the stuff we plan on selling.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h295/CrowChylde/Toys/?start=0

Basically we will be taking along the Transformers & the M.U.S.C.L.E sets & a large box of Magic cards. We never actually played Magic but we adore  fantasy art so we are not too sure if what we have available is
sought after or rare.

Any questions? Please message us back.
It's like I was an insect that dreampt he was a man & loved it. But now the insect is awake & the Dream is over

arcadiapandora

I'll make a plug while everyone else is! :D

Gonna be selling a wide range of manga, all in new condition. Shounen, Shoujo, fantasy, yaoi--it'll all be there.
Plus, selling some dvd box sets of anime. All SUPER cheap, at the very least 50% of it's bought price, but I promise you can haggle me lower.

Plus, I'll be accepting commissions (and I should be in costume, either as Alice from Shadow Hearts or Franziska von Karma from Phoenix Wright) for cons in the future. I may have some small costume items for sale, and possibly some fan art if I can finish everything by this Friday.
<3

Eurobeat King

edit:  Well, it looks like I'm going to be there on Thursday, so I'll participate in the Swap Meet on Thursday night. :) If I don't sell enough then I might also sell the remaining stuff on Friday, but we'll see.  

Not going too hardcore in selling stuff this year (last year I was unemployed during Fanime) but will have some good items:

super eurobeat CD's (from Vol. 100 and on)
anime DVD's  (mainly Bandai DVD's)
anime CD's (older stuff, so no Naruto, FMA, Bleach, etc.)
anime/video-game figures/toys
old anime calendars

Xbox 360 game system
PS2 game system
Nintendo GameCube game system

I'll also be taking pictures of cosplayers while running the swap meet booth, so if you're in-costume during that time, please come by and look for me so I may take your picture (since I'll be in there most of the evening.)

angeljibrille

Kimiko

I've got a bunch of Sera Myu (Sailormoon Musical) items that I'll be selling! a TON of videos ^^

I can't wait! this will be fun!
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi