lockers?

YES!
9 (60%)
dont need them
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 19, 2007, 07:28:37 PM

SheaShea

For those of us who don't have hotel rooms, or cars to put or stuff in, lockers or something would be an awsome addition to fanime.

You can charge us a small fee.  As long as we have a place to set down all of out stuff securley.
2007 - I was Princess Ashe from FF XII
Official Pikaball Player
Join us in 09?

Dagger-6

For small items, you might try going to conops and seeing if you can stash something there.  It's hit or miss depending on how much space they're using up and who's staffing the position, but it's worth a shot.

The hotels can also hold items for you.  I don't believe you need to be staying at the hotel to use that service, since it's designed for people who are checking in or out at a later time.

As far as storage goes, instead of actual lockers, a better system would probably be something similar to the hotel one, with a supervised room where labeled bags are put in and a receipt is given for later retrieval.

Of course, that's one more position to staff, one more thing to be liable over, and the question remains as to how many people would be in need of extra storage.

FanFicGuru

As far as the hotel thing goes, I don't think you're allowed to use their baggage holding service unless you will be checking in or out that day. You can try, but you may get some nasty looks and refused if they realized you're just using their service.

I think the room with supervised bags and a name service would be ideal. But, it does require more staff, etc. And the poor person working the room would have the most BORING JOB OF ALL TIME! Perhaps one hour shifts?

Anyways, I think that people who can afford hotel rooms are allowed that perk of having some place to drop their stuff. Perhaps I can rent out some space for a small fee... *strokes chin* lol j/k
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Ayanami Rei First Child

Make friends with people you trust. Pay them to store at their room

E-Chan

It's a liability issue, actually.

We agree to watch something for you, it gets lost/stolen/damaged... suddenly it's on our heads.

I do think it would be an excellent idea to have a safe place though... perhaps there are external companies out there that can be contacted to come in with lockers and some such... I couldn't tell you for sure...

I will say that I think it is an issue that needs to be addressed; there were a lot of people who came through the rovers base for peacebonding that couldn't have their weapons peacebound because they weren't in costume... it's tough, really.

But yes, storage would be good. I'd advise just getting a room though... it is worth it to be able to relax in the middle of the day, or crash when you're tired without having to travel all the way home and so on. It's a bit more expensive, but if you think of parking and travel costs... it's not bad. ;)
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

M

Quote from: "trooper715"For small items, you might try going to conops and seeing if you can stash something there.  It's hit or miss depending on how much space they're using up and who's staffing the position, but it's worth a shot.

Please don't. ConOps has enough people coming in and out (with actual issues that need to be attended to) without having people run in asking to store their items. ConOps =/= Storage (even of "small items").

The best thing to do is just to get three of your friends and get a hotel room... They're actually really cheap divided among you all (even after tax, tip, food) and you can do things like shower and store your items.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Gwydion

Or you know...bring a backpack, stick it in your car, have a friend hold stuff for you... there are SO many better options...

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: "Gwydion"Or you know...bring a backpack, stick it in your car, have a friend hold stuff for you... there are SO many better options...
i've heard stories of people getting their backpack stolen, parking could be a bitch, and my friends will be in the same situation as me.

i vote YES on locker rentals! as for the liability thing, couldn't you just make people sign a wavier before using it?

Tony

Quote from: "HentaiTentacleDemon"i vote YES on locker rentals! as for the liability thing, couldn't you just make people sign a wavier before using it?
There's probably issues with minors signing waivers, and besides, signing a waiver won't stop people from bringing suit against us.

I don't see how lockers are going to work... there are no lockers available and bringing some in would be incredibly expensive. (Imagine moving all that metal around!) And that also means losing event space...

Perhaps an enterprising entrepreneur will figure it out and make some cash off of it... but I doubt Fanime will, in the foreseeable future, attempt anything like this.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

HentaiTentacleDemon

there's plenty of space in the around the arcade area.

also look what i found:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/zip/508155213.html
the guy is giving it away for FREE
so if u want it, u better response quick!