Convention Parking

Started by suna_no_yoroi, April 22, 2007, 09:15:21 PM

suna_no_yoroi

This is my first convention, so I'm curious if this is where it's been held previously.  The reason I'm asking is I was curious if anyone knows how late the parking lot is open, and if you are allowed to leave and come back without paying again.  Ideally I'm hoping to find a good way to drive since public transit doesn't run late enough to go to some of the super late night events.

heeroyuy135

From http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/convention.php:

Parking is available in the main Convention Center garage located at 408 South Almaden Blvd. or 350 South Market Street. The current rate is $1.00 per 20 minutes up to $18.00 per day maximum. After 6:00 pm and on weekends the rate is .50 per 20 minutes up to a $18.00 per day maximum.

Please review the list of adjacent parking lots within walking distance of the San Jose Convention Center and Cultural Facilities.

Parking Map

suna_no_yoroi

Thanks for the info... I wish the city was more prepared for weekend events.  I'll most likely end up moving to one of those spots that's free after 6PM.  I would park in the convention center, but until I get there I'm not sure how late the lot is open just incase I wanna go home and like have my vehicle locked behind a gate or something.

astroboy

here's another map which is more detailed
http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/parking_map.php

pay attention to the parking lot immediately to the right of the Convention Center labeled in yellow color. The map legend states: "Free parking after 6pm and on weekends and major holidays"

Basically you can just pay for Friday and not have to worry about paying for parking for the rest of the con. ---> providing you don't move your car.
After 6pm Friday you're more then welcome to drive your car out and do whatever (eat out, run errands, etc...) however don't be surprised if you come back only to find your spot taken. After 6pm that place becomes quite possibly THE MOST sought after parking lot....for obvious reason.

Once that lot becomes "free" I've seen people circle the area in their cars like vultures looking for fresh kill....err I meant a parking spot. 8)

good luck!

Glitch

*looks at parking hours for hilton.* good.only 12 per day. Parking has never been my favorite part of fanime. Each year they out do themselves in screwing you over.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Glitch"*looks at parking hours for hilton.* good.only 12 per day. Parking has never been my favorite part of fanime. Each year they out do themselves in screwing you over.

True dat. Public transportation babay.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

madmanlotar

Informative post, thanks.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "madmanlotar"Informative post, thanks.

Hey there pot, my name's kettle.

Informative, hmmm...

carpool. Less cars, less parking fees.

Better?
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

suna_no_yoroi

Oh I intend to carpool... and make them pay their share of the fee for that matter.  It's just that I work that weekend aswell so I can't like rely on public transit for time issues, except on friday and maybe saturday.

otakuya

You can also park at the Children's Discovery Museum and use the light rail one stop over to the CC. I don't know if it saves money, but you'll get a better chance at a parking space.

BlackDelo

If that idiot douch Ron Gonzalez hadn't erected that tent behind the convention center, there would be a whole hell of a lot more parking. That's where we parked in 2004.

p.s. Ronzo is an idiot and I;m glad his term (and probably his cereer too) are finally over.
www.myspace.com/bigfatiori

"You know, AX gives you cancer."

phoenixphire24

For anyone staying at the St. Claire, they offer valet parking (with in and out) for about $10 a day.

koella

Does anyone know where FREE parking is?  Besides on the street behind the convention center, which I don't think I want to park in anymore.

Ari

There's actually a parking garage right across the street from the mcdonalds, which is about a block away from the convention center... and last time there was an empty lot where people could park sort of before you hit mcdonalds... I dont really know if it is still there. Or how much parking is for each. But it is something other than having to pay 18 bucks.

Raydere

You can park at the San Jose Diridon Station for $2 a day, then take the light rail towards Mountain View (the station is behind all of the train tracks) to the con. It's not a good idea if you're gonna be at the con late at night though; last train towards Winchester leaves the CC station at 11:43pm.

As for free parking, there's some at 2nd & San Carlos, and Market & San Salvador, though I checked out the latter the other day and it doesn't look safe there.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

deepbluevibes

(removed per privacy policy)

GaMeReVoLuTiOnX

Quote from: "BlackDelo"If that idiot douch Ron Gonzalez hadn't erected that tent behind the convention center, there would be a whole hell of a lot more parking. That's where we parked in 2004.

p.s. Ronzo is an idiot and I;m glad his term (and probably his cereer too) are finally over.
Oh how I miss that parking lot.

That fence had no chance against any of us. xD

--Official NotN HoboRave DJ :D --
-Fanime SOS of 2008- ^^